PDA

View Full Version : Do Kids Play Harder for a Coach They Like?

Bullaholic
02-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I think some of this has been touched on before, but I'd like to ask again if you think that kids play harder for a coach they like?

Johnny Utah
02-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Should play hard no matter what for the love of the game, love of competition and for the name on the front of the uniform in my opinion.

bandera7
02-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I think kids play harder for coaches they respect. Liking, maybe. But if the entire team respects a coach then they will be more willing to do whatever that coach asks of them. Just my opinion

87 TIGER
02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
yes

pirate4state
02-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
I think kids play harder for coaches they respect. Liking, maybe. But if the entire team respects a coach then they will be more willing to do whatever that coach asks of them. Just my opinion

Agreed.

JU - what you say is true, but it is a concept that is slowly fading. Sad times!

bandera7
02-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah utah I agree with you in concept but the truth is, it isnt that way anymore. People go to play for themselves. The concept of sacrificing yourself for something greater is dying. Its still preached but losing its practice

Bullaholic
02-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Do you think that head coaches, even in 5A, have very many 1-to-1 exchanges with players other than coaching?

pirate4state
02-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Do you think that head coaches, even in 5A, have very many 1-to-1 exchanges with players other than coaching? Don't know about 5A, but they do here! We really are blessed with a great coaching staff in Sinton.

bandera7
02-24-2009, 03:54 PM
I cant speak for 5a but I know that in Bandera we were welcome to go into Coach Prince's office anytime if we needed anything. That is my only experience with coaches though.

Johnny Utah
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
AS a coach you are there for the kids, life lessons more than wins and losses. Of course young people will play "harder" for someone they respect. It all starts with the upbringing. Watch Hoosiers and go back to the scene where the original group quit as Gene Hackman came in to coach.....ONLY 1 Father brought his son back and apologized for the son, said Hackman was the coach, his son was going to play and do the right thing etc.. That is a lost art!

Electus Unus
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't think they play 'harder' for a coach they like they just respond better to what the coach ask for.

bandera7
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
EU, I think they do play harder. When it comes crunch time, if kids respect a coach I think it enables more of them to sell out for the program as opposed to not caring.

JR2004
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think some of this has been touched on before, but I'd like to ask again if you think that kids play harder for a coach they like?

I've seen players who played harder for a coach if they liked the coach.

Electus Unus
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
EU, I think they do play harder. When it comes crunch time, if kids respect a coach I think it enables more of them to sell out for the program as opposed to not caring. If a kid isn't willing to play hard when it comes to crunch time, regardless of who the coach is, the kid probably shouldn't be playing.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I think that it does make a big difference, it's the same in the workplace. I can tell you from experience an employee that respects you and likes you will be willing to go the extra mile when asked. An employee that doesnt like or respect you will usually do just enough to not get fired but not be willing to go the extra mile. I think it's the same in sports.

formercougar18
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
I've been around a player who was very gifted for us, who i think definately didn't try for the coaches because they were always riding his butt. He didnt really care about football, and only played for the reason that his brother was playing. He quit right after the season ended, and got good playing time both ways, whether he tried or not. So i think that if a coach gives the kid their respect, then the kid will definately try his hardest, but if the coach is riding his butt, in the wrong way then the kid isnt going to try or care.

eagles_victory
02-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by formercougar18
I've been around a player who was very gifted for us, who i think definately didn't try for the coaches because they were always riding his butt. He didnt really care about football, and only played for the reason that his brother was playing. He quit right after the season ended, and got good playing time both ways, whether he tried or not. So i think that if a coach gives the kid their respect, then the kid will definately try his hardest, but if the coach is riding his butt, in the wrong way then the kid isnt going to try or care. your sig bothers me it says you thank god for every day he let you wear China Spring on your chest but in the picture it says Cougars on your chest.

Russki
02-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Yes comrade! Kids do play harder for coach they like and respect. The reverse is true too. Just ask the kids at McCamey.

Russki
02-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I guarantee you comrades that whoever gets the Permian job will have young disciples who will work hard.

kaorder1999
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Here is my experience with this topic. When I was in HS I was "scared" of my head coach. It wasnt a fear of the person but was a "fear" to let him down. I think that is totally because of the respect I had for the man. I played my tail off because I didn't want to let him down or disappoint him in any way.

Now....flash forward a few years. I was talking to a kid that I coach the other day in a non school/athletic setting and he told me the same thing about me that I now say about my head coach. He said "Coach Ragsdale, on defensive days we are scared to death to miss practice and scared to mess up because we are scared of you." Kind of made me laugh. I know hes not scared of me...but they are scared to disappoint me and I hope its because of a respect, the same respect I had for my head coach!

kaorder1999
02-26-2009, 02:47 PM
now...as far as playing harder for someone they "like" I guess it depends on what like means. Ive seen coaches that buddy up to the kids and baby them and as a result the kids didn't work very hard. They knew they would still have coach so and so to run to and have fun!

SintonFan
02-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
I don't think they play 'harder' for a coach they like they just respond better to what the coach ask for.
You just contradicted yourself, unless I misread you.
You don't think they play 'harder' but "respond" better for a coach they like? Explain?
I myself think respect is more likely to get a kid to play harder.

Phantom Stang
02-26-2009, 10:41 PM
If a coach conveys to a kid that he cares about him as a person, and convinces the kid that he the coach thinks the kid can be successful, then with few exceptions the kid will work his butt off, and take any gruff treatment the coach dishes out.

So to answer Bullaholic's question, since kids generally LOVE this kind of adult authority figure, YES they'll play harder for a coach they like.