PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Upsets in Sports!

Phil C
02-24-2009, 11:57 AM
In my opinion the biggest one ever happened 29 years ago at the Winter Olympics when the USA Hockey team upset the USSR team 4 to 3. This has been called the Miracle on Ice. It was the next to last game the USA played and by winning this and the next one against Sweden the team won the Olympic Gold Medal. This created a sensation at the time and one we needed because of the political times then. It was considered a big upset because the Russians hadn't lost a game in years and were considered a hockey machine. The Russians had also beaten us bad a few weeks before in an exhibition game and had defeated several of our all star hockey teams.
This would be like taking a group of football college players and beating the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Terry Bradshaw era. Or taking a group of college basketball players from Italy and beating the USA's first Dream Team in basketball at the Olympics.

It was a miracle and has to be the all time champion in biggest upsets. But there are other big ones so please give your opinions and memories.

GreenMonster
02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Krunk Train over the Nawf Side Raideros.

goosealaniz
02-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Texas over USC... only cuz espn had the nerve to put USC against the greatest teams ever, and said that they would win in a dominating fashion...

crzyjournalist03
02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
In 2005, the Texas Longhorns defeated what many people had begun to recognize as the greatest college football team of all-time. There were whispers that the USC Trojans could have beaten some NFL teams that year. Let's not forget that their coach was once an NFL coach, so he could have made a gameplan accordingly.

Despite a tough back and forth game, Texas quarterback Vince Young pulled of an improbable game winning touchdown in the game's closing minutes.

STAggie
02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
'Nova over Georgetown. Jimmy V, baby!

I. B. Watching
02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
ND 7-0 over OU in 1957. That was huge, snapped 47 game win streak

BEAST
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Boston College over Miami. I dont remember the year but it was Doug Flutie and his Hail Mary pass that won the game.

BEAST

vet93
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
I think that it was 1984...

Originally posted by BEAST
Boston College over Miami. I dont remember the year but it was Doug Flutie and his Hail Mary pass that won the game.

BEAST

roughneck_2008
02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
it was 1984, thats also the year Flutie won the Heisman

RiverRat19
02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Ouimet won the 1913 U.S. Open as a 20-year-old amateur playing at The Country Club in Brookline, Massachusetts, where he used to caddie, playing against Britons Harry Vardon and Ted Ray. Ouimet's victory after an 18-hole playoff against Vardon and Ray was widely hailed as a stunning upset over the strongly-favored Britons. He was the first amateur to win the U.S. Open.

eagles_victory
02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by STAggie
'Nova over Georgetown. Jimmy V, baby! Jimmy V was NC State over Houston. Should be Rollie Massimino baby for Nova over Georgetown.

STAggie
02-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Jimmy V was NC State over Houston. Should be Rollie Massimino baby for Nova over Georgetown.

Wow, thanks. Thats what happens when you try to post and work at the same time. LOL. I was thinking this over at lunch and concluded I made myself look like an a$$.

DUKE22
02-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Douglas over Tyson
DUKE over UNLV 1991 national semifinal.
Chaminade over Virginia college hoops 1982

cshscougar08
02-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Texas over USC? Really? I realize that people were heralding that team as the greatest ever, but by no means did I ever hear that USC would wipe the field with Texas. Especially after the season that Texas had. Whatever!

I agree with the Miracle on Ice for sure. Also with Chaminade over Virginia, probably one of the least known upsets ever. Also:

NC State over Houston
App St over Michigan in the Big House
Texas Western over Kentucky
USA over Cuba in baseball in 2000 Olympics

crzyjournalist03
02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Texas over USC? Really? I realize that people were heralding that team as the greatest ever, but by no means did I ever hear that USC would wipe the field with Texas. Especially after the season that Texas had. Whatever!

Sarcasm man...

Electus Unus
02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
You have a horrible memory..."that USC team was the best ever and no team in history stood a chance against them"

cshscougar08
02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
You have a horrible memory..."that USC team was the best ever and no team in history stood a chance against them"

Lol. Yeah I guess I do. No idea what I was thinking there.

Electus Unus
02-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Lol. Yeah I guess I do. No idea what I was thinking there. At least you realize now :p

DUKE22
02-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Wasnt Rulon Gardner's win at Sydney a pretty big upset?

Phil C
02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
Wasnt Rulon Gardner's win at Sydney a pretty big upset?

That is a good one DUKE22! It was a big upset and major surprise.

Bigworm
02-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Appalachin St. over Michigan (football)

ILS1
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
This is for you Phil C.

How about Texas versus USC??? In Women's basketball. 1986 the undefeated Lady Longhorns went up against the Goliath Lady Trojans and their stars Cheryl Miller & Cynthia Cooper. They lead the Lady Trojans to 2 NC's in 3 years and were looking for their 3rd in 4 years against the Lady Horns. Cooper later won 4 WNBA titles with the Houston Comets and is argueably considered the Greatest Female basketball player.

:D :D :D

Phil C
02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
This is for you Phil C.

How about Texas versus USC??? In Women's basketball. 1986 the undefeated Lady Longhorns went up against the Goliath Lady Trojans and their stars Cheryl Miller & Cynthia Cooper. They lead the Lady Trojans to 2 NC's in 3 years and were looking for their 3rd in 4 years against the Lady Horns. Cooper later won 4 WNBA titles with the Houston Comets and is argueably considered the Greatest Female basketball player.

:D :D :D

That is a good one too ILS1! It didn't really surprise me though because UT was expected to win the year before but were upset just before the final. Clarrissa Davis of San Antonio saw that game when she was a HS senior and came to Austin to help us the next year and she was our star player on a great team so I wasn't surprised when we beat USC that year. I think Davis would have been considered a great one but after that great freshman year she had major injuries and never did regain her former form but for that one year she was terrific.

sahen
02-24-2009, 05:10 PM
If we r gonna go women's basketball then the Lady Bears winning in 2005 while beating 3 number 1 seeds along the way should be up there....

Phil C
02-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by sahen
If we r gonna go women's basketball then the Lady Bears winning in 2005 while beating 3 number 1 seeds along the way should be up there....

Good point sahen. I don't know they were really upsets but they were a big surprise.

waterboy
02-24-2009, 05:54 PM

Liberty-Eylau 39
Gilmer 36

:D

Some people are still smarting from that one.:doh:

bobcat4life
02-24-2009, 06:12 PM
These will sound like homer picks but....

1995 2A State Championship:
Celina 32, Alto 28. Alto had a world of talent and could be considered the most talented 2A team of all-time.

1974 Class B State Championship Game
Celina 0, Big Sandy 0. The David Overstreet teams were some of the most dominant teams of all time. They scored over 700 points from 1973-75, and over 800 points twice. They were flat out domintant. Somehow, Celina managed to hold them scoreless.

coach
02-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by goosealaniz
Texas over USC... only cuz espn had the nerve to put USC against the greatest teams ever, and said that they would win in a dominating fashion...

that was not the biggest upset ever...nt even close...it was number 1 versus number 2....a helluva performance but not the best upset

goosealaniz
02-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by coach
that was not the biggest upset ever...nt even close...it was number 1 versus number 2....a helluva performance but not the best upset

according to espn at the time, USC was good enough to beat some NFL teams... they figured that USC should already be the NC, they even put USC against some of the best college football teams of all time... i think USC beat all but one according to espn... most espn annalists said that USC should win by at LEAST 21 points... so i think it was a pretty big upset...

BMOC
02-24-2009, 06:40 PM
1988 World Series: Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Oakland A's. The A's had the Bash Brothers (Canseco and Maguire) Rickey Henderson, and an outstanding Pitching Staff with Stewart and Eckersly as their closer. All the Dodgers really had was Hershieser and a bunch of rag - tag players. A really beat up Kirk Gibson blasted a game winning homer in the bottom of the ninth in game one that started the whole upset. He doesn't do that, its pretty hard to say that the dodgers win it.

coach
02-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by goosealaniz
according to espn at the time, USC was good enough to beat some NFL teams... they figured that USC should already be the NC, they even put USC against some of the best college football teams of all time... i think USC beat all but one according to espn... most espn annalists said that USC should win by at LEAST 21 points... so i think it was a pretty big upset...

i can name 15 upsets bigger than that

cshscougar08
02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by coach
i can name 15 upsets bigger than that

It was sarcasm. . . . I fell for it too.

sinfan75
02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Damn I was gonna post that but I couldn't remember who the Dodgers played. I wasn't no Dodger fan but you just wanted them old farts to win even if you hated them. Another big upset I think is the Jets over the Colts in Super Bowl III, IV or V. Can't remember.

SintonFan
02-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Ouimet won the 1913 U.S. Open as a 20-year-old amateur playing at The Country Club in Brookline, Massachusetts, where he used to caddie, playing against Britons Harry Vardon and Ted Ray. Ouimet's victory after an 18-hole playoff against Vardon and Ray was widely hailed as a stunning upset over the strongly-favored Britons. He was the first amateur to win the U.S. Open.
That has gotta be huge!
Thanks for the history lesson, too.:cool: :clap:

SintonFan
02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
In my opinion the biggest one ever happened 29 years ago at the Winter Olympics when the USA Hockey team upset the USSR team 4 to 3. This has been called the Miracle on Ice. It was the next to last game the USA played and by winning this and the next one against Sweden the team won the Olympic Gold Medal. This created a sensation at the time and one we needed because of the political times then. It was considered a big upset because the Russians hadn't lost a game in years and were considered a hockey machine. The Russians had also beaten us bad a few weeks before in an exhibition game and had defeated several of our all star hockey teams.
This would be like taking a group of football college players and beating the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Terry Bradshaw era. Or taking a group of college basketball players from Italy and beating the USA's first Dream Team in basketball at the Olympics.

It was a miracle and has to be the all time champion in biggest upsets. But there are other big ones so please give your opinions and memories.
Phil, I remember folks having a tear in their eye over that game. I was lucky enough to watch it myself. It was special indeed!:clap: :)

GreenMonster
02-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by STAggie
'Nova over Georgetown. Jimmy V, baby!

Ummm, Jimmy V coached at NC State, how does this game have anything to do with Jimmy V? Rollie Massomino was the coach of Villanova and John Thompson was at Georgetown.

Sorry, I guess I should have read further in before posting.