PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mardi Gras!

Bullaholic
02-24-2009, 11:12 AM
For those of you unable to attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans in person today, here is a live weblink to some of the activity going on---Bon ton rolle, mes amis......

http://www.wwltv.com/video/?nvid=57429&live=yes

Phil C
02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Don't forget that this Wednesday (2-25-09) is Ash Wednesday. Lent starts that day. And remember no meat on Fridays during Lent.

jason
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
3adl women at mardi gras (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26212&highlight=mardi+gras)

Phil C
02-24-2009, 02:56 PM
I once visited New Orleans, LA in the late 90s and it is one terrific city.

ILS1
02-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I went to Mardi Gras the year before Katrina. Had loads of full. I could not believe how NARROW Bourbon Street was!!! It was like trying to pack a few more sardines in a can when we went down there. You could probably jump from one balcony on one side of the street to the other!!! I took pictures but I can't seem to find them!!! Dang it!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bullaholic
02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I went to Mardi Gras the year before Katrina. Had loads of full. I could not believe how NARROW Bourbon Street was!!! It was like trying to pack a few more sardines in a can when we went down there. You could probably jump from one balcony on one side of the street to the other!!! I took pictures but I can't seem to find them!!! Dang it!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ILS1--When I was growing up in New Orleans in the 60's, Bourbon St., on Mardi Gras Day, used to "surge" back and forth from the beginning at Canal St. clear to the end. There were that may people packed shoulder to shoulder in it.

ILS1
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Just in case you didn't know:

Mardi Gras translated from French means 'Fat Tuesday'.

:D :D :D

Bullaholic
02-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Just in case you didn't know:

Mardi Gras translated from French means 'Fat Tuesday'.

:D :D :D

Yes, and as Phil pointed out earlier in the thread, the day after Mardi Gras Day (Fat Tuesday) is Ash Wednesday which marks the start of the 40-days of Lent (it is 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday) during which abstinence from the eating of meat, and/or other types of abstinence/fasting from worldly pleasures is encouraged. Therefore, it became the tradition for local residents to have one last big blow-out on Fat Tuesday with lots of eating, drinking, and revelry before the start of Lent---hence Mardi Gras. Local New Orleanians also observe the custom of eating seafood on Fridays and usually red beans and rice on Mondays to help "cleanse" the system from the weekend.

ILS1
02-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Yes, and as Phil pointed out earlier in the thread, the day after Mardi Gras Day (Fat Tuesday) is Ash Wednesday which marks the start of the 40-days of Lent (it is 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday) during which abstinence from the eating of meat, and/or other types of abstinence/fasting from worldly pleasures is encouraged. Therefore, it became the tradition for local residents to have one last big blow-out on Fat Tuesday with lots of eating, drinking, and revelry before the start of Lent---hence Mardi Gras. Local New Orleanians also observe the custom of eating seafood on Fridays and usually red beans and rice on Mondays to help "cleanse" the system from the weekend.

You are right Bull!! But don't forget that Lent is 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday. But the other Sundays during Lent don't count in the 40 days. Lent is actually 46 days not counting Sundays!!

:D :D :D :D