PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger wins 2009 Best Supporting Actor Oscar!!

Phil C
02-23-2009, 09:44 AM
This was for his role of the Joker in The Dark Night. The Academy got it right on this one. He deserved it and it wasn't just the sympathy vote. He was magnificient in this movie and would have been worthy for Best Actor if he had been nominated for that category. The other nominated actors were good in their roles too but this one was a shoo in.
Great Job Heath! RIP. We lost you too soon. :(

injuredinmelee
02-23-2009, 10:23 AM
many critics say he wouldnt have even been nominated had he not died.

Emerson1
02-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
many critics say he wouldnt have even been nominated had he not died.
I wouldn't doubt it from the academy. The Black Knight was actually an interesting movie with action that normal people went to the theaters and saw, thus making it not eligible for awards under normal cicumstances.

ronwx5x
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I wouldn't doubt it from the academy. The Black Knight was actually an interesting movie with action that normal people went to the theaters and saw, thus making it not eligible for awards under normal cicumstances. .

The correct name of the movie is The Dark Knight. It actually had 7 nominations for Academy Awards:

1. Sound Mixing - Won
2. Sound Editing
3. Visual effects
4. Cinematography
5. Makeup
6. Art direction
7. Best actor in a Supporting Role - Won

Often, this many nominations are for films not generally successful at the box office such as Milk or Frost/Nixon.

Phil C
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x

The correct name of the movie is The Dark Knight. It actually had 7 nominations for Academy Awards:

1. Sound Mixing - Won
2. Sound Editing
3. Visual effects
4. Cinematography
5. Makeup
6. Art direction
7. Best actor in a Supporting Role - Won

Often, this many nominations are for films not generally successful at the box office such as Milk or Frost/Nixon.

ron you are right in that these type of movies (Milk and Frost/Nixon) get nominated and win for money making purposes.
I have seen nominations and academy award winning movies several times going to movies I haven't even heard of. It could be that Heath might not have been nominated had he not passed away even though I remember he was getting reviews for his performance before he died. Still you never know what the Academy is going to do but in Heath's case they got it right.

ronwx5x
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
ron you are right in that these type of movies (Milk and Frost/Nixon) get nominated and win for money making purposes.
I have seen nominations and academy award winning movies several times going to movies I haven't even heard of. It could be that Heath might not have been nominated had he not passed away even though I remember he was getting reviews for his performance before he died. Still you never know what the Academy is going to do but in Heath's case they got it right.

Phil, I must admit I have seen none of these three movies. Any comment on my part as to who should or should not have won would be unfair on my part. Very often movies receive Oscars and I have never heard of nor seen them. I think this may have to do with the way the number of awards has been inflated. If I remember correctly not too long ago there weren't nearly so many award categories.

I will say that as soon as the Heath Ledger death happened, I felt there would be no question he would win if nominated, correctly or not.

Keith7
02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
movie awards make me sick.. its just a bunch of millionaires patting eachother on the back..

There is no movie that is "better" than the next.. Its all subjective and in the opinion to the viewer so I can't stand these bologna awards.

Phil C
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Phil, I must admit I have seen none of these three movies. Any comment on my part as to who should or should not have won would be unfair on my part. Very often movies receive Oscars and I have never heard of nor seen them. I think this may have to do with the way the number of awards has been inflated. If I remember correctly not too long ago there weren't nearly so many award categories.

I will say that as soon as the Heath Ledger death happened, I felt there would be no question he would win if nominated, correctly or not.

I know what you mean ron. I remember the oscars for 1976 movies when Peter Finch won best actor for Network after he had passed away. His was a great performance but it should have been for best supporting actor in my opinion. In fact in that same movie I thought William Holden had done a much better acting job for best actor.
Still it doesn't always work out. The young people in the oscars for 1955 wanted James Dean to win it for East of Eden. Jemes Dean had already died in a tragic accident. The oscar was awarded to Ernest Borgnine for Marty.

ronwx5x
02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
movie awards make me sick.. its just a bunch of millionaires patting eachother on the back..

There is no movie that is "better" than the next.. Its all subjective and in the opinion to the viewer so I can't stand these bologna awards.

Keith, those millionaire actors and actresses probably don't like you either.

Tough to be young and jaded, isn't it?

Keith7
02-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Keith, those millionaire actors and actresses probably don't like you either.

Tough to be young and jaded, isn't it?

Why don't they like me?? I'm not that young anymore btw.. I think i'm officially an adult

ronwx5x
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Why don't they like me?? I'm not that young anymore btw.. I think i'm officially an adult

No personal attack intended. Obviously I don't know you nor you me, but I made both statements based only on what I have observed of your posts. You seem a bit edgy. But then I am an old codger so you can see where I come from.

All of us were young once and I was not much different from you back then. I just learned over time that most people are at least as smart if not smarter than I. I've had an interesting life and enjoyed most of it. I got that way by mellowing out as I got older.

Ranger Mom
02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
No personal attack intended. Obviously I don't know you nor you me, but I made both statements based only on what I have observed of your posts. You seem a bit edgy. But then I am an old codger so you can see where I come from.

All of us were young once and I was not much different from you back then. I just learned over time that most people are at least as smart if not smarter than I. I've had an interesting life and enjoyed most of it. I got that way by mellowing out as I got older.

I see exactly where you are coming from ron!

I see a lot of "younger adults" who seem jaded. I agree with you, mellowing comes with age and we learned: "don't sweat the small stuff!"

:)

waterboy
02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I see a lot of "younger adults" who seem jaded. I agree with you, mellowing comes with age and we learned: "don't sweat the small stuff!"

:wave: Hey, RM! How's it hanging?:D Good to see you back!:clap:

Farmersfan
02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Have we? Perhaps we have simply adjusted what we classify as "small stuff" rather than learned to not 'sweat the small stuff". What we considered important when we were young we might now think of as "small stuff"...... Just an idea!

ronwx5x
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Have we? Perhaps we have simply adjusted what we classify as "small stuff" rather than learned to not 'sweat the small stuff". What we considered important when we were young we might now think of as "small stuff"...... Just an idea!

I think I am "smaller stuff" each year that passes! My self-importance is important, but only to me.

Keith7
02-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Ok I take back my previous post..

I love the oscars! *golf claps for the oscars* .. They are so worth people's time! I love hearing about them for two weeks and having celebrity news on the front page of newspapers! The Oscars is a beautiful time for Americans to rejoice the true American heroes!

Go Oscars!! You're no. 1!!!

Keith7
02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Oh I forgot my favorite thing.. The pre-oscar shows.. I love watching celebrities walk down a red carpet in over priced outfits while an analyst overlays the action with celebrity gossip.. I couldn't believe Brad and Angie were laughing at Jennifer Anistons skit with Jack Black.. OMG that just gets me so giddy..

pirate4state
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Oh I forgot my favorite thing.. The pre-oscar shows.. I love watching celebrities walk down a red carpet in over priced outfits while an analyst overlays the action with celebrity gossip.. I couldn't believe Brad and Angie were laughing at Jennifer Anistons skit with Jack Black.. OMG that just gets me so giddy..

haha now we are getting somewhere! ;) :D

Phil C
02-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Thank you Keith7 for your outstanding support of this great yearly event! An exiciting night indeed!

:clap:

Farmersfan
02-24-2009, 04:46 PM
I think I am "smaller stuff" each year that passes! My self-importance is important, but only to me.

I wish I could get into this. Unfortunately as each year passes my intelligence grows by leaps and bounds. My ability to solve the world's woes gets bigger and bigger with each passing day. If you don't believe it, just ask me!

Diocletian
02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
His performance was great in the Dark Knight.

I'm glad he won't be last remembered by the brokeback movie, that would have just been awful.

WylieBulldog92
02-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I think the most legit awards are the MTV movie awards actually when I think about it.

Farmersfan
02-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Diocletian
His performance was great in the Dark Knight.

I'm glad he won't be last remembered by the brokeback movie, that would have just been awful.

He was very good in this movie. Very deserving of the award.

Phil C
02-25-2009, 09:27 AM
The thing I remember from the movie BATMAN with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicolson is that I never thought anyone could approach Jack Nicolson's great performance as the Joker. But man Heath took that role and went to town and won a well deserved oscar.

Farmersfan
02-25-2009, 10:56 AM
The thing I remember from the movie BATMAN with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicolson is that I never thought anyone could approach Jack Nicolson's great performance as the Joker. But man Heath took that role and went to town and won a well deserved oscar.

I heard stories about his mental state during the filming of this movie. Apparently getting into this roll was pretty hard for him. Do you think this role might have had some impact on his destructive lifestyle?

Farmersfan
02-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
I think the most legit awards are the MTV movie awards actually when I think about it.

IMHO nothing "legit" about MTV. They haven't been significant since the 80's.....................

DDBooger
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I heard stories about his mental state during the filming of this movie. Apparently getting into this roll was pretty hard for him. Do you think this role might have had some impact on his destructive lifestyle? he was rollin all kinds of prescription medication

PPHSfan
02-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Finally got time to see this great film. I thought Ledger was pure genius. I also think that Gary Oldeman [sp] may be one of the finest talents in Hollywood.

SintonFan
02-28-2009, 01:24 AM
IMHO nothing "legit" about MTV. They haven't been significant since the 80's.....................
Don't sell them short. They have a huge influence on today's kids!:eek:

SintonFan
02-28-2009, 01:25 AM
I heard stories about his mental state during the filming of this movie. Apparently getting into this roll was pretty hard for him. Do you think this role might have had some impact on his destructive lifestyle?
Many actors have mentioned that roles they play can influence them...

Bullaholic
06-16-2009, 10:35 AM
This was for his role of the Joker in The Dark Night. The Academy got it right on this one. He deserved it and it wasn't just the sympathy vote. He was magnificient in this movie and would have been worthy for Best Actor if he had been nominated for that category. The other nominated actors were good in their roles too but this one was a shoo in.
Great Job Heath! RIP. We lost you too soon. :(

Watched "Dark Knight" on the sat last night for the first time. Heath Ledger did turn in a magnificent performance as "The Joker". The movie was a bit too long, however.

Phil C
06-16-2009, 02:53 PM
James Dean was nominated for best actor in 1956 which was a mistake. He would have been a shoo in if they had nominated him for best supporting actor. Under the rules of Hollywood he was not eligible at that time for supporting actor even though his role was less than that of Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor - both of who were great in that movie too. James had already passed away but everyone knew he couldn't beat out Yul Brynner or Kirk Douglas that year. He would have beat out Anthony Quinn who won for Best Supporting actor though. A tragic event then. James was great in that movie. It is a great movie but the first half is the best part when he plays a young man. In the second half he is more of a supporting role. He is fantastic in it. Especially in the scene where he is looking over his land he just inherited.