PDA

View Full Version : 5 Corpus Christi area teams to watch for 2009 baseball season

SintonFan_inAustin
02-22-2009, 02:42 AM
H.S. baseball: Five teams to watch
By Javier Becerra (Contact)
Sunday, February 22, 2009

CALALLEN

The defending Class 4A state champions lost several key position players to graduation, but that hasn’t stopped the Wildcats before. Senior left-hander Jordan John leads the way on the mound, but will need help from a supporting cast that includes outfielder Matt Garza and third baseman Dustin Vaughan.

MOODY

The Trojans were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs last season, which is sure to provide plenty of motivation. The perennial power is anchored by power-hitter Rudy Flores and the fleet-footed Christian Garza-Gallegos. Justin Meza also returns to take over the role of staff ace.

SINTON

After coming up short of a trip to the state tournament, expect the Pirates to make yet another run to the regional final. Sinton returns a number of key players, including Roy Perez, Josh Rodriguez and Shane Segovia.

ROBSTOWN

Robstown’s drop from Class 4A created quite an interesting local 3A district that also includes Falfurrias and Sinton, two teams that like the Cotton Pickers are yearly contenders for the state tournament. Look for Ruben Elizondo, Michael Velasquez and Ryan Velasquez to lead the way.

CARROLL

Realignment revamped the district, which included the departure of Ray (4A) and the addition five San Antonio teams, Converse Judson, East Central, Highlands, Wagner and South San. Outfielder Mark Blackmar and pitcher Matt Gomez are two players the Tigers are counting on to contribute.

http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2009/02/21/20090221-200217-pic-254141084_t600.jpg
Perennial powerhouses Sinton and Moody are two teams to keep an eye on this season. The Pirates are led by (front row, from left) Shane Segovia, Roy Perez and Josh Rodriguez. The Trojans are counting on (back Row, from left) Rudy Flores, Christian Garza-Gallegos and Justin Meza this season.

Bull Butter
02-22-2009, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin

CARROLL

Realignment revamped the district, which included the departure of Ray (4A) and the addition five San Antonio teams, Converse Judson, East Central, Highlands, Wagner and South San. Outfielder Mark Blackmar and pitcher Matt Gomez are two players the Tigers are counting on to contribute.

http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2009/02/21/20090221-200217-pic-254141084_t600.jpg
Perennial powerhouses Sinton and Moody are two teams to keep an eye on this season. The Pirates are led by (front row, from left) Shane Segovia, Roy Perez and Josh Rodriguez. The Trojans are counting on (back Row, from left) Rudy Flores, Christian Garza-Gallegos and Justin Meza this season.

Mark Blackmar? Related to Phil???

PutMeInCoach
02-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Robstown has a great tradition. It will be interesting to see they will mix in the 3A division.

c-town_balla
02-22-2009, 12:17 PM
I just going to say it....Sinton has some ugly unis

pirate4state
02-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
I just going to say it....Sinton has some ugly unis haha who cares what our unis look like as long as we win! :p

PutMeInCoach
02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I actually like them.

Phil C
02-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Falfurrias and Mathis also should be watched even though they may not be in the area.

pirate4state
02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach
I actually like them. I like them too. I really like the solid gray that we wear. Very old school. :)

PutMeInCoach
02-22-2009, 01:32 PM
A very classic look.

Dieselsmoke
02-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Moody's are classic Texan, nice uniform tops with blue jean bottoms. Are they bootcut? :thinking: