PDA

View Full Version : Rockets 93 Mavericks 86 final

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 01:13 AM
New starting point guard Aaron Brooks scored 19 points, including a 3 pointer with 24 seconds remaining to sink the Dallas Mavericks. Houston trailed early, but went on a 37-10 run to erase a 16 point deficit and take a 68-57 3rd qtr lead. Yao finished with 22 pts and 13 rebounds and Louis Scola chipped in with 15 pts & 15 boards. Dallas was led by Jose Barea with a career high 26 pts, but Dirk Nowitzki was held to 4 of 18 from the field for just 9 points.

Dallas appears to have come out on the wrong end of the Kidd-Harris trade and from what I watched tonight, may be going more with Barea. Kidd does run the offense, but his lack of scoring is hurting the Mavericks.

IHStangFan
02-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Great job Rockets!! I was watching this game early on until the wifey decided it was "movie night"

kepdawg
02-21-2009, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye

Dallas appears to have come out on the wrong end of the Kidd-Harris trade and from what I watched tonight, may be going more with Barea. Kidd does run the offense, but his lack of scoring is hurting the Mavericks.

Going more with Barea? :eek:

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Aaron Brook's cold-blooded 3's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaV130DG6Pw&eurl=http://www.clutchfans.net/

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 01:48 AM
This was Kidd's 18th game were he scored 5 or less points, while logging huge minutes. Twelve of those games he scored 3 points or less.

kepdawg
02-21-2009, 01:59 AM
This was Kidd's 18th game were he scored 5 or less points, while logging huge minutes. Twelve of those games he scored 3 points or less.

I think most Mavs fans would be much more concerned with Dirk's 9 points tonight.

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I think most Mavs fans would be much more concerned with Dirk's 9 points tonight.

Just his second game of the season where he didn't score in double digits. Every good player has a few off nights, but Kidd is doing it about every other game.

kepdawg
02-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Just his second game of the season where he didn't score in double digits. Every good player has a few off nights, but Kidd is doing it about every other game.

Oh well! I just don't think Kidd is expected to score much. Unfortunately with JET out they don't have many options. The bench is terrible and that's why Barea has seen his time increase.

Emerson1
02-21-2009, 09:15 AM
For as terrible as they played I am glad it was that close. Dirk was useless, Damp got in early foul trouble so the C position was useless. Stackhouse played for the first time in months.

Kidd had 4 steals and in pretty critical times and 8 rebounds. You can't just look at how many points a player scores.

If Dirk had played even decent this could have been the second night in a row 3 players scoring 20+ points

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Kidd does do other things well, but he is becoming an offensive liability. The opposing defense can rotate off of him and double team another player. Dampier doesn't have a clue when it comes to guarding Yao Ming. Funny, he once claimed he was the second best center in the West. The Rockets were without their top bench player Carl Landry and had a new starter at point guard. They did struggle early on running the offense and when Brooks got injured, they went to Lowery who just arrived in town several hours earlier. Yao & Scola continue their streak for getting double-doubles, but it's the balanced team scoring that has been effective for the Rockets. Scola played some good defense on Dirk and got him forcing a few shots. The only problem I saw was with the Rocket's defense is they were having trouble switching on the pick & roll, especially with Barea. I guess they were thinking he was Kidd and they didn't have to cover him.

Emerson1
02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
He is hardly the offensive liability you are trying to make him out to be.

He is shooting %42 from the floor and %40 from 3 point land. Not the greatest but eams can't just leave him wide open as he has knocked down the open jumper consistently all season.

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Devin Harris is averaging 21.5 ppg and 6.5 assists, while shooting 43.5% from the field. Kidd does shoot well, but at times is reluctant to shoot and has not been very consistant. Looking at his stats, there are many good games, but there is also too many nights where he is 1-9. New Jersey definitely got the better end of that trade and IMO, the Mavs hadn't been the same team since the trade.

kepdawg
02-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Devin Harris is averaging 21.5 ppg and 6.5 assists, while shooting 43.5% from the field. Kidd does shoot well, but at times is reluctant to shoot and has not been very consistant. Looking at his stats, there are many good games, but there is also too many nights where he is 1-9. New Jersey definitely got the better end of that trade and IMO, the Mavs hadn't been the same team since the trade.

I agree the Nets got the better end of the deal but still think your assessment of Kidd and the expectations of him are off.

Emerson1
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Devin Harris has to score.

It's Vince Carter and Devin Harris. Kidd is the scoring option behind Dirk, Howard, and Terry.

Kidd averages 2 more assist per game and 2.2 steals compared to 1.6. 40% from 3 point compared to 30%.

Western Conference vs Eastern conference

Kidd is shooting 2% higher from the floor and %10 higher from 3 point than his career averages and 1 less turnover per game.

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I agree the Nets got the better end of the deal but still think your assessment of Kidd and the expectations of him are off.

Being that I'm a Houston fan, Kidd does not scare me at all. I was glad to see him come in for Barea. The Mavs were scary good when they had Harris, very athletic and pushing the ball. Kidd's style is made for a much slower tempo game, but the Mavs don't have that inside presence. Kidd's per centages may be up, but that could be due to him being more selective with his shots and taking less attempts from outside.

kepdawg
02-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Being that I'm a Houston fan, Kidd does not scare me at all. I was glad to see him come in for Barea. The Mavs were scary good when they had Harris, very athletic and pushing the ball. Kidd's style is made for a much slower tempo game, but the Mavs don't have that inside presence. Kidd's per centages may be up, but that could be due to him being more selective with his shots and taking less attempts from outside.

I didn't see any of the game, but you sure are high on Barea! He's shown some flashes but give me Kidd over Barea right now.

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I didn't see any of the game, but you sure are high on Barea! He's shown some flashes but give me Kidd over Barea right now.

Barea was 10-17, including 5 from beyond the arc for 26 points. He ran the pick & roll with Bass and gave Houston fits. Barea played a little over half of the minutes played by Kidd, yet had the same number of assists and outscored Kidd 26-3. Barea may be a little more of a defensive liability and did turn the ball over, but his offensive production speaks for itself.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-21-2009, 08:14 PM
New starting point guard Aaron Brooks scored 19 points, including a 3 pointer with 24 seconds remaining to sink the Dallas Mavericks. Houston trailed early, but went on a 37-10 run to erase a 16 point deficit and take a 68-57 3rd qtr lead. Yao finished with 22 pts and 13 rebounds and Louis Scola chipped in with 15 pts & 15 boards. Dallas was led by Jose Barea with a career high 26 pts, but Dirk Nowitzki was held to 4 of 18 from the field for just 9 points.

How did Ackieem Olojaun, and Chuck Barkly do?

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
How did Akeem Olajuwon, and Chuck Barkley do?

Akeem was unbeatable and Charles is in the market for designated drivers.

Emerson1
02-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Uhm... what?

Kidd is useless when teams make them slow it down. Harris is better in half court sets because he can go 1 on 1.

And how is it bad for one of the non-main scoring options to shoot less at a higher percentage?

kepdawg
02-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Barea was 10-17, including 5 from beyond the arc for 26 points. He ran the pick & roll with Bass and gave Houston fits. Barea played a little over half of the minutes played by Kidd, yet had the same number of assists and outscored Kidd 26-3. Barea may be a little more of a defensive liability and did turn the ball over, but his offensive production speaks for itself.

You haven't seen many Mavs games have you?

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
All I know is the Mavs were one of the elite teams before the Kidd trade and now have been trailing the pack. Last year they finished 7th coming off a 67 win 2006-07 season. I think management panicked after losing to Golden State in the first round and now are paying for it.

Bull's-eye
02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
You haven't seen many Mavs games have you?

Really don't care to watch them, but looking at the stats and from what I saw last night, Barea offensive numbers are better than Kidd's based on per minutes played.

Emerson1
02-21-2009, 08:59 PM
All I know is the Mavs were one of the elite teams before the Kidd trade and now have been trailing the pack. Last year they finished 7th coming off a 67 win 2006-07 season. I think management panicked after losing to Golden State in the first round and now are paying for it.
No they weren't. They were fighting for a playoff spot before the Kidd trade. That is why is it was made in the first place because they needed a spark.

Emerson1
02-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Mr. Offensive Liability with 11 points on 5/6 shooting 1/1 3point and 11 assist.

Barea was 2/8 with 8 points and played 6 more minutes then Kidd.

Bull's-eye
02-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Mr. Offensive Liability with 11 points on 5/6 shooting 1/1 3point and 11 assist.

Barea was 2/8 with 8 points and played 6 more minutes then Kidd.

Playing a weak team like the Kings and scoring 11 points, I wouldn't get too excited. I agree when the Mavs can get Kidd to have this type of game, they will usually win. The thing with Kidd is he will have too many off nights. Making 1 shot against Houston, when the Mavs needed more production. Go look at his game stats and you will see what I'm talking about. I counted 18 games where he scored 5 or less points and a lot of those games the Mavs needed more. Hard to live with that inconsistency.

Bull's-eye
02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Barea actually had 9 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds, 2 steals and actually less turnovers. He didn't shoot that well, but I see Bass had a big game. Did barea and him run the pick & roll like they did against Houston?

Farmersfan
02-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Perhaps someone should actually watch a few games before making these kinds of nonsense statements about a team. Harris is performing very well since the trade but nobody is foolish enough to think he would be this good playing for the Mavs.(see ?Steve Nash after the trade). Different offense and different teammates. And Barea isn't even close to Kidd in production for the season.

Rankings of Guards in Pts/Reb/Assits(for season)

Harris= #7
Kidd= #37
Barea= #84

http://www.nba.com/statistics/

Bull's-eye
02-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm not saying Barea is the answer, but he did pose more problems for the Rockets. I was actually glad to see Kidd return to the game. In that game, Kidd was reluctant to shoot and even the Houston announcers commented that he was becoming an offensive liability. I pulled up his season stats and there is trend where he has a game like he had against Houston about a third of the time. Looking at the trade, IMO the Mavs would of been better off keeping Harris. Yes, Harris didn't put up those kind of numbers with the Mavs, but he was consistantly getting better each season and was averaging over 14 ppg before the trade.

Emerson1
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Playing a weak team like the Kings and scoring 11 points, I wouldn't get too excited. I agree when the Mavs can get Kidd to have this type of game, they will usually win. The thing with Kidd is he will have too many off nights. Making 1 shot against Houston, when the Mavs needed more production. Go look at his game stats and you will see what I'm talking about. I counted 18 games where he scored 5 or less points and a lot of those games the Mavs needed more. Hard to live with that inconsistency.
There is a difference in roles though.

Harris is NJ's #2 scoring option.
Kidd is Dallas' #4. Dallas lost to Houston because Dirk went 4/18 not because Kidd only had 3 points on. If Dallas is relying on Kidd to score 15 points to win, chances are they won't win.

Barea killed on the PnR vs Houston because he was hot shooting the 3. Devin Harris is a 30% 3 point shooter. He was even worse in Dallas.

Bull's-eye
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Kidd is Dallas' #4. Dallas lost to Houston because Dirk went 4/18 not because Kidd only had 3 points on. If Dallas is relying on Kidd to score 15 points to win, chances are they won't win.

Barea killed on the PnR vs Houston because he was hot shooting the 3.

Maybe if Kidd was more of a threat, his man wouldn't cheat over and help against Dirk. :thinking:

I just saw Kidd not being aggressive and passing up some shots. IMO, he has to shoot enough to keep the defenses honest.