PDA

View Full Version : DMN High School Sports Coverage...

JR2004
02-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Has to be the best in the state hands down. I've looked at some of the other major newspapers in Austin, San Antone, El Paso and Houston and their coverage is almost comical in comparison to what the DMN provides both in print and online.

I really think they're ahead of the curve with using the website to let their writers do video reports and do shows with guests. I'm usually not real impressed with the media, but man they cover every high school sport and that's pretty darn hard to do! It's too bad the other big cities around the state aren't covering stuff like these guys are!

kepdawg
02-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Yeah they do a pretty good job, but could still do some things better.

I found it funny the other day one of their guys made a blog post about the horse collar tackle being banned in high school. I replied that since Texas follows NCAA rules the horse collar was already banned in Texas. My reply never got posted but the blog post disappeared real quick!

They are definitely better than most other papers though!

Oh and did you see the latest report on SOC? Kevin Rogers' grades are being looked at now.

JR2004
02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Yes...I think Shipp got bored and needed something to do! I guess he's trying to put another award on the mantle!

catgut
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
We're kind of stuck up here in no man's land where no major newspapers covered us until we got into 10 3A with some of the Dallas area teams. Now they post the score when we play one of those. The DMN is great for Dallas schools.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Has to be the best in the state hands down. I've looked at some of the other major newspapers in Austin, San Antone, El Paso and Houston and their coverage is almost comical in comparison to what the DMN provides both in print and online.

I really think they're ahead of the curve with using the website to let their writers do video reports and do shows with guests. I'm usually not real impressed with the media, but man they cover every high school sport and that's pretty darn hard to do! It's too bad the other big cities around the state aren't covering stuff like these guys are! :) you didnt mention Corpus Christi Caller Times!

My schedule was moved up to this coming week from work, so i'll be in Dallas for coming week, where is Madison playing?

JR2004
02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
:) you didnt mention Corpus Christi Caller Times!

My schedule was moved up to this coming week from work, so i'll be in Dallas for coming week, where is Madison playing?

My bad! Let's include the Times too!

The game will be wherever the winner of Prosper and Van Alstyne will agree to play at. My guess is probably either Plano (Either Plano West or possibly Hebron) if it's Prosper or McKinney if it's VA and more than likely the game would be played Friday.

I. B. Watching
02-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I have looked at every major newspaper in Texas and many big papers elsewhere when I am traveling. No paper does as well as DMN. The Houston Chronicle high school covereage is sort of a joke from what I can tell. I heard it was good when the Post was still in business. Austin does a good job, but the DMN gives you info on everyone from a pretty good radius out and in all sports. Now with that said, I am in the Dallas area so I get one of the later editions. I'm sure those in the outlying areas do not get as much day-after coverage because they get an earlier edition. But in general, I have always been impressed with the work of the Dallas paper and the Star Telegram. I think the competition helps both. But I still miss the Times Herald.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-21-2009, 11:29 AM
My bad! Let's include the Times too!

The game will be wherever the winner of Prosper and Van Alstyne will agree to play at. My guess is probably either Plano (Either Plano West or possibly Hebron) if it's Prosper or McKinney if it's VA and more than likely the game would be played Friday. Plano would be great and on a Thursday, but seems it'll be on a Friday. I'll problaly go watch a baseball game if a nearby tourney involving 3a teams on Thursday.

3afan
02-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes...I think Shipp got bored and needed something to do! I guess he's trying to put another award on the mantle!

dont blame Shipp/the media .... SOC personnel are the ONLY ones to blame here ...

JR2004
02-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
dont blame Shipp/the media .... SOC personnel are the ONLY ones to blame here ...

I think I'll stick with Shipp/the media, thanks.

3afan
02-21-2009, 12:20 PM
LOL - well even DISD admits they're at fault here, but whatever

:thumbsup:

The DMN does have the best HS sports coverage I have ever seen for a "major" market paper

kepdawg
02-21-2009, 12:26 PM
LOL - well even DISD admits they're at fault here, but whatever

:thumbsup:

The DMN does have the best HS sports coverage I have ever seen for a "major" market paper

My problem with Belo in the whole SOC drama is that it appears they are more concerned with taking away basketball titles than they are with addressing the academic corruptness within the system. I understand Belo and realize that a headline such as "SOC to Forfeit 2005 Title" is much more attractive in the media and gets more interest than "Grade Changing Scandal at SOC" or something like that.

JR2004
02-21-2009, 02:04 PM
LOL - well even the person who will soon be out of a job admits they're at fault here, but whatever

Fixed.

kepdawg
02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
JR they could have at least sent somebody to Ellis Davis today to keep me updated! Isn't SOC out there? Brett Shipp could have done blog updates!

PurpleFreddy
02-21-2009, 09:00 PM
How does James Mays still have a job? I know that in my neck of the woods if a coach had been even suspected of this kind of tampering he or she would be gone.
Here is the thing that strikes me most: coaches have the resources to keep tabs on players grades; so, why didn't someone step up and make these young men take care of their business before the end of the six weeks? Many teachers (including myself) will bend over backwards for those who are willing to help themselves. Our coaches have mandatory tutoring times for student-athletes not passing (yet, some wait until the final days to be worried about their grades).
Almost often, it isn't that these students tried and failed at the assignments. Most don't turn them in at all. That's when my sympathy meter drops.

ccraker
02-21-2009, 11:30 PM

Well, maybe the coach shouldn't change grades, then it wouldn't be news.

JR2004
02-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Mays is a crook, plain and simple. It's well known throughout the coaching ranks. His exploits are well known. A great example is at the regional meeting when he was voted to coach the North All-stars, they had DISD janitors posing as coaches voting for him. But, he brings as much good publicity as bad publicity, so DISD will keep him.
As for HS sports coverage, I rank'em like this:

Dallas Morning News
Lubbock Avalanche Journal
Corpus Christi Callier Times
San Antonio Express
FW Star Telegram
Austin UNamerican Statesman
Houston Chronicle

There's a good chance that in DISD those janitors are probably coaches. :)

The Star-Telegram is getting better. The Express News stuff I've read is horrific and the Chronicle is just a joke along with the Statesman.

JR2004
02-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
JR they could have at least sent somebody to Ellis Davis today to keep me updated! Isn't SOC out there? Brett Shipp could have done blog updates!

I think Shipp is looking into grade improprieties from Sunset's 1950 state champion as we speak! Be on the lookout for the story on this one soon!

That was kinda odd that they didn't blog today. I know Damon Sayles was out there. He probably decided to write some articles for tomorrow's paper about the games. It was a very fun day of basketball. Too bad I had to miss most of the Argyle-Kimball game. I walked in with 3 seconds left in regulation and saw the Eagles hit a wide-open three to force OT. It was some sweet justice to see Kimball lose that game after all the games that have been handed to them at Ellis Davis by officials messing over their opponents.

I. B. Watching
02-22-2009, 10:08 AM
I think Shipp is looking into grade improprieties from Sunset's 1950 state champion as we speak!
And perhaps Coach Archie Porter's 1962 Thomas Jefferson squad!

Twirling Time
02-22-2009, 11:30 AM
The DMN is great ... if you live in Dallas or an adjoining county. As far as they are concerned, the rest of the schools in North Texas can go fish.

LH Panther Mom
02-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ccraker
Well, maybe the coach shouldn't change grades, then it wouldn't be news.
:thinking: :thinking: Nah....that makes too much sense! :doh: :p