PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Bowl Press Conference

GetRDoneStangs
02-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Was pretty cool, nice crowd showed up. It was pretty much a "formality" the Board of Trustees went into session and on recomendation of the Supt. voted unanimously to hire Craig Slaughter the new HC/AD.

Coach Slaughter gave a brief speech and commented on "How much more friendly the fans seemed now that he was on the other sideline!"

His wife and daughter where introduced as well....his wife Kim (I think) had to go shopping to get something "RED" to wear.

I really think Sweetwater made a good choice....He has lots of fire and drive.....We need to get behind him and follow the Hoof Beats!!!

Stownhorse
02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Sounds exciting.

Phantom Stang
02-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
.We need to get behind him and follow the Hoof Beats!!!
Amen to that!

Any word about if he's bringing anyone from Clyde with him?
For that matter, who all did Jackson take with him?

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Amen to that!

That's what I'm wondering. I heard that Inge and Hendricks
were following Jackson to Frisco. I also heard that our current
OC is the leading candidate for the Levelland job.

ccmom
02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
That's what I'm wondering. I heard that Inge and Hendricks
were following Jackson to Frisco. I also heard that our current
OC is the leading candidate for the Levelland job.

nevermind....that was just crazy Whataburger talk. I'd better keep that to myself.;)

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
The Whataburger rumor is that Slaughter will be bringing a couple of guys with him....really GREAT guys, by the way. But...that's just Whataburger talk...:confused: ;)

Do you know if they are OC's or DC's. Apparently we are in need
of both.

GetRDoneStangs
02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Amen to that!

Not exactly sure.......I understood earlier he was wanting to bring most of his staff. I think that still could leave room for some current staff to stay (assuming Sweetwater has more coaches than Clyde).

I don't think they know how many Jackson is taking with him.

I give it a month or so and the staff should be filled.

ccmom
02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Do you know if they are OC's or DC's. Apparently we are in need
of both.

Dangit RED!! You are too fast for me!!!! LOL:mad:

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Not exactly sure.......I understood earlier he was wanting to bring most of his staff. I think that still could leave room for some current staff to stay (assuming Sweetwater has more coaches than Clyde).

I don't think they know how many Jackson is taking with him.

I give it a month or so and the staff should be filled.

I bet Coach Mayes and Coach Hines aren't going anywhere.:D

ccmom
02-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I bet Coach Mayes and Coach Hines aren't going anywhere.:D I think that would be a safe bet!:D

Heffelfinger
02-20-2009, 04:29 PM
There's gonna be a raid on cargo pants at the Sweetwater Wal-Mart.

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
I think that would be a safe bet!:D

Well Hines has been commuting from Abilene everyday for the
last 25+ years. I'd guess he's happy here.

And

Mayes is the rare combination of coach and calculus/trigonomentry
teacher. Those are hard to find.:nerd: :D

I'm glad both of them have spent basically their entire careers
here.

SWMustang
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM

And

here.

I heard coach Mayes tackled Earl Campbell while in High School. Did you ever hear that story Red?

wildstangs
02-20-2009, 05:43 PM

And

here.

Coach Hines used to live over near Southeast Elementary for awhile. If he is commuting from Abilene now I would definitely watch the roads.

GetRDoneStangs
02-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Here is Board President Russ Petty and Supt. Terry Pittman welcoming the new HC/AD

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/slaughter2.jpg

The Slaughter Family

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/slaughter3.jpg

"OK Coach....we are going to THROW the ball the BALL aren't we!!??"

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/slaughter4.jpg

Pictures courtesy of the Sweetwater Reporter

DOS EQUIS
02-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I heard coach Mayes tackled Earl Campbell while in High School. Did you ever hear that story Red?

I think I heard something about that when I was in his calculus class.

Bubba-Joe
02-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Hate to correct you but this info aint correct

Not that it really matters

Hines lives in Sweetwater, don't know where you got this info?

showtime
02-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Coach Mayes did takle Earl Campbell I saw the film in HS he flipped him head over heels and no lie on one play Earl broke 13 tackles.

Bubba-Joe
02-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Coach Mayes came to Sweetwater in the fall 1980 with W.T. Stapler. 29 seasons later he is still a Mustang.

Great teacher of advanced Math, his students are always challenged in the classroom and on the playing field.

He has endured some critics but make no doubt about it Coach Mayes is dedicated to the students and athletes of Sweetwater High School.

He has adjusted to the changes that come with almost 30 years being in one place as a coach.

Coaches he has worked with (not under) as his head coach inclued as mentioned W.T. Stapler who led Sweetwater to thier only State Championship in 1985

Tom Ritchey one of the most highly respected men to every coach at Sweetwater or any other school

Hank Dowell very well respected also.

Kent Jackson the numbers don't lie about his success.

and now hopefully coach Mayes will contiune to coach with newly selected Mustang HC Slaughter.

Thanks to Coach Mayes for all he has done and will continue to do for the Mustangs.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Coach Mayes came to Sweetwater in the fall 1980 with W.T. Stapler. 29 seasons later he is still a Mustang.

Great teacher of advanced Math, his students are always challenged in the classroom and on the playing field.

He has endured some critics but make no doubt about it Coach Mayes is dedicated to the students and athletes of Sweetwater High School.

He has adjusted to the changes that come with almost 30 years being in one place as a coach.

Coaches he has worked with (not under) as his head coach inclued as mentioned W.T. Stapler who led Sweetwater to thier only State Championship in 1985

Tom Ritchey one of the most highly respected men to every coach at Sweetwater or any other school

Hank Dowell very well respected also.

Kent Jackson the numbers don't lie about his success.

and now hopefully coach Mayes will contiune to coach with newly selected Mustang HC Slaughter.

Thanks to Coach Mayes for all he has done and will continue to do for the Mustangs.

Coach Mayes is amazing, taught me football and calculus and I also saw the film of him taking down Earl Campbell.

Sweetwater Red
02-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Hate to correct you but this info aint correct

Not that it really matters

Hines lives in Sweetwater, don't know where you got this info?

I know he lived in Abilene when he was my coach 25 years ago.
I heard someone say a few years back that he still lived in Abilene.
I just assumed he never moved. I could very well be wrong. I
have been pretty often.:doh:

Sweetwater Red
02-21-2009, 05:02 PM

I don't remember hearing in HS. I have heard it a few times
since.

Sweetwater Red
02-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Coach Mayes is amazing, taught me football and calculus and I also saw the film of him taking down Earl Campbell.

Which high schools did the go to?

Bubba-Joe
02-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Which high schools did the go to?

Coach Mayes went to HS in Conroe I believe, his dad was a junior high coach. His dad may have also coached in the Abiliene system at one time..

Phantom Stang
02-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Sweetwater tabs Clyde's Slaughter

By Evan Ren (Contact)
Saturday, February 21, 2009

Craig Slaughter, who turned a perennially struggling Clyde football program into an area power in just three years, was named Friday as head coach at Sweetwater.

Slaughter, who posted a 23-12 record in three years at Clyde, took the Bulldogs to the playoffs each season. The 2006 berth first of which was the first playoff berth for the Bulldogs since 1996.

Clyde won its first outright district title in 53 years last season, finishing with an 11-2 record.

At Sweetwater, Slaughter will replace Kent Jackson, who resigned from his post in January to become the head coach at the new Frisco Heritage High School. Jackson was 73-26 in eight years at Sweetwater, including a 10-3 mark last year. He reached the playoffs all eight years at Sweetwater.

Slaughter was voted in at a special school board meeting at the Mustang Bowl, which was attended by roughly 150 red-clad Mustangs supporters.

"Obviously it's a huge, tradition-rich program in the state of Texas," Slaughter said. "I was joking a little bit with them. Those guys don't host you too well, and I'm looking forward to not being on the enemy sideline."

In hiring Slaughter, Sweetwater ISD Superintendent Terry Pittman combed more than 100 applications.

The field was narrowed to eight in recent days, with Slaughter finally getting the nod this week over Chip Mayfield of Del Valle.

"We chose coach Slaughter not only because he's a successful football coach, but because he'll bring a lot of energy and be an advocate for all of our athletic programs," Pittman said. "He'll be a total-program guy."

Departing Clyde wasn't easy for Slaughter, who informed his players of the move Thursday.

"You talk about a hard day," Slaughter said. "I love those kids dearly and it was a wonderful experience there for me."

LINK (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/feb/21/sweetwater-tabs-clydes-slaughter/)

Trashman
02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Great hire guys, I don't think you will be disappointed.:D

swstangs001
02-21-2009, 06:28 PM

He showed us the video when I was in his class, he hit him low and flipped him and Campbell landed on his neck, it could have been serious, but it wasn't.

Phantom Stang
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Here's the TV news video......

http://ktxs.com/newsroom/newsclips/sweetwater_coach.wmv