PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about NCSA

Looking4number8
02-19-2009, 07:20 AM
I am curious about the "National Collegiate Scouting Association". (NCSA) We had a nice long conversation with them last night about trying to get daughter scouted a little for college softball. I am not sure if the are a legit company or just someone who will make you a pretty cool website and charge you a chunk of change to make you feel good.

I don't mind spending the money if it is legit but I dont want to get scammed. The deal is daughter is not positive she wants to play college ball. I would love for her too but she needs to do what makes her happy. I really just want to give her the opportunity to make the choice weather or not to play.

Here is the start up page. To get the videos made and and everything else is about $1400.

http://recruit-match.ncsasports.org/fasttrack/profile/profile.jsp?clientID=l196798

Tell me what you know!

LH Panther Mom
02-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Check out recruiting-101.com . They have some good info that should be helpful.

I'm sure they're "legit" but I don't know anyone who's used their services. I think it was around $3000 for football. :eek: I pm'ed you some options that are easier on the wallet, if that's the route you're looking at.

footballfan65
02-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I just recently went through the approx. 1 hour conversation with them about my son and football. I too would like to know if anybody has used their services. We told them we would get back with them. A lot of money to dish out during these difficult economic times. BUT if they truly help....it would be worth it.

BOCEPHUS
02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
OOPS, MIS- READ, THOUGHT WUZ NSCA!!

c-town_balla
02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
If they are chairing for video I wouldn't pay. You can easily make one of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whFxIr8gjCo) quality on your own.

Looking4number8
02-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your help today. Sorry I did not respond sooner. We were in Abilene for a tournament all day.

Daughter is not sure she wants to play college ball. I feel she could pitch a smaller college now but if she wanted to play for a larger program, she has a lot of work. My main concern is that she has options. $1400 is a lot of money to create a option. Guess we will make a decision in a few day. I will check out all the web-sites you guys mentioned.

Thanks again

STANG RED
02-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Thanks for your help today. Sorry I did not respond sooner. We were in Abilene for a tournament all day.

Daughter is not sure she wants to play college ball. I feel she could pitch a smaller college now but if she wanted to play for a larger program, she has a lot of work. My main concern is that she has options. $1400 is a lot of money to create a option. Guess we will make a decision in a few day. I will check out all the web-sites you guys mentioned.

Thanks again

It would seem that she may not have the passion for the game that it takes to take it to the next level, even though she may well have the talent. If she isn’t sure this is what she wants, she may well not really want it, but thinks it is expected of her, so she may be hesitant to actually admit her true wishes.
We went through much of this with my daughter and volleyball. She loved the game, was very good at it, and had the talent to take it to the next level. But in the end she didn’t really have the passion that was required, and she wanted to commit totally to here academics. But before that decision was made we had many heart to heart discussions that made her come to the realization and final decision she made. Had she made the other decision, we would have backed her totally, and would have done anything within our power to help her achieve her goal. As it is now, she will graduate in May with a 3.9 something (Zoology), has had a great time, and recreationally played the sport she loves when and where she wanted, and without the pressure of having to play it at a high level to keep an athletic scholarship. To be fair though, she did receive a huge academic scholarship. That did make her decision a lot easier to come to.

Looking4number8
02-19-2009, 10:00 PM
You may be right Stang. I really don't know. My biggest fear is she plays because she thinks that is what I want. I want her to have options, playing or not playing should be up to her.

Rabid Cougar
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
College coaches don't pay any attention to scouting services.

Looking4number8
02-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar

Thank you

LH Panther Mom
02-19-2009, 10:11 PM
I wondered about that! We went "old school" so I didn't know how well any of them worked. Of course, if you ever hear the spiel, it's a wonder any kid ever gets a college scholarship without using them. ;)

Emerson1
02-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Is it stalking if I looked her up on myspace? :D

Rabid Cougar
02-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I wondered about that! We went "old school" so I didn't know how well any of them worked. Of course, if you ever hear the spiel, it's a wonder any kid ever gets a college scholarship without using them. ;)

From conversations with several Coordinators, one of which I have known for 20 years and now works for a Big 12 school, they really don't pay any more attention to the services than if you make your own videos, make the phone and e-mail contacts, go makes visits and attend their camps.

That Recruiting-101.com... someone did a good job of putting together very sound advice.

Looking4number8
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Is it stalking if I looked her up on myspace? :D

I thought that is what My Space is all about. She has a very clean My Space.

Buffgal
02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
It would seem that she may not have the passion for the game that it takes to take it to the next level, even though she may well have the talent. If she isn’t sure this is what she wants, she may well not really want it, but thinks it is expected of her, so she may be hesitant to actually admit her true wishes.
We went through much of this with my daughter and volleyball. She loved the game, was very good at it, and had the talent to take it to the next level. But in the end she didn’t really have the passion that was required, and she wanted to commit totally to here academics. But before that decision was made we had many heart to heart discussions that made her come to the realization and final decision she made. Had she made the other decision, we would have backed her totally, and would have done anything within our power to help her achieve her goal. As it is now, she will graduate in May with a 3.9 something (Zoology), has had a great time, and recreationally played the sport she loves when and where she wanted, and without the pressure of having to play it at a high level to keep an athletic scholarship. To be fair though, she did receive a huge academic scholarship. That did make her decision a lot easier to come to.

Pretty much same scenario at my house. My daughter is still involved in her sport but at a recreational level and is 100% devoted to her education and future career. She is very content and made this decision on her own, knowing that her heart was not in the sport to the extent that the next level required & she really wanted to go to Texas Tech. TTU offered her a walk on spot but the time requirement was just too much for no $$$.

To be an athlete at any college level, you must be ready to commit yourself totally. The college is hiring your kid and become their employer with all strings attached. Once your daughter totally understands this concept, it will become easier for her to make that decision. It is hard to let the athletic things go, especially if they are upper level/good potential, but let your daughter decide. She's the one who has to put out the effort and commit her time.

Mine is still committing her own time to her running, competing in charity marathons, etc, and is experiencing some great things @ TTU because she does have the extra time that probably wouldn't be possible if she was a scholarship athlete. What I'm trying to say is she is getting to do things in college that she never got to do in high school because she was always practicing/running.

SAVE THE Money...You will need to it to maintain the "second household"

Good luck, take the time to visit lots of places. Best advice I got was to sit and watch the college students @ that campus and remember that you raised your kid but the students you watch are the ones who will mold them into adulthood and become their lifelong friends.

X15-MEM
02-20-2009, 01:17 PM
In an earlier thread noted some recruiting tips and services to use in assisting with college recruiting. Possible the moderators could make it an item that stayed at the top of the posts. As far as NCSA is concerned not a lot of bang for your buck. From what I can tell they work in the DII and DIII area the most and like I said you can do much more with that amount of money. The following sites are much less expensive but require you to do much of the leg work imo berecruited has provided the most looks from colleges across the country.

www.gobigrecruiting.com
www.berecruited.com
www.collegecoaches.net

MN95
02-20-2009, 01:39 PM

I don't believe this is completely true. While Big 12 schools might not rely on scouting services, many smaller colleges and non -revenue sports across the country that don't have large travel budgets for recruiting do utilize these services. It puts hundreds of potential recruits just a computer click away. I know of one senior on our girls basketball team this year that successfully used one to land a small school scholarship.

I would guess some are better than others, and I would not rely on a service solely to promote my child, but I wouldn't completely dismiss them either.

BEAST
02-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey lookin, did you get the pm I sent you?

BEAST