PDA

View Full Version : Feudin', Fussin' and A-Fightin'!

Phil C
02-18-2009, 02:49 PM
This is a great funny movie made in 1948. It is about a salesman who is kidnapped to run in an annual race by folks from a small country town to run against their rival. Donald O'Connor stars as the salesman and he is great in this movie. He does a couple of good dance and song routines but they don't get in the way of the fun. It also stars Marjorie Maine and Percy Kilbride who were soon to become famous in the funny Ma and Pa Kettle Movies. This movie is only about 78 min long and the last 15 minutes when they have the big race is hilarious.

This movie is a rare gem and I don't think it has been available for showing for a long time. It will be on TCM on 4-22-09 at 7 P.M. I urge you not to miss this one.

espn1
02-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
This is a great funny movie made in 1948. It is about a salesman who is kidnapped to run in an annual race by folks from a small country town to run against their rival. Donald O'Connor stars as the salesman and he is great in this movie. He does a couple of good dance and song routines but they don't get in the way of the fun. It also stars Marjorie Maine and Percy Kilbride who were soon to become famous in the funny Ma and Pa Kettle Movies. This movie is only about 78 min long and the last 15 minutes when they have the big race is hilarious.

This movie is a rare gem and I don't think it has been available for showing for a long time. It will be on TCM on 4-22-09 at 7 P.M. I urge you not to miss this one. Thanks for posting this one, I've never seen it! I love Marjorie Maine and Percy Kilbride. I'll definitely pencil this one in. Have you ever seen "The Egg & I"?

Trashman
02-18-2009, 08:57 PM
I love the old Ma and Pa Kettle movies!:D

espn1
02-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
I love the old Ma and Pa Kettle movies!:D MEEEEEEE!TOOOOO!

Phil C
02-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by espn1
Thanks for posting this one, I've never seen it! I love Marjorie Maine and Percy Kilbride. I'll definitely pencil this one in. Have you ever seen "The Egg & I"?

Yes I have seen "The Egg and I" espn1. It has been years though. I think they show it on tv once in a while. That movie was with Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert as a city couple that decides to move to the country. It introduced Marjarie Maine and Percy Kilbride as Ma and Pa Kettle which was later to be a hit series. Marjarie Maine didn't win it but she was nominated for best supporting actress in this movie.

Phantom Stang
02-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Add me to the Marjorie Maine and Percy Kilbride fan club! I haven't seen Feudin', Fussin' and A-Fightin', but I'll check it out.
Thanks Phil!:)

Phil C
02-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Add me to the Marjorie Maine and Percy Kilbride fan club! I haven't seen Feudin', Fussin' and A-Fightin', but I'll check it out.
Thanks Phil!:)

You are welcome Phantom. I have added a thread about how to get reminded by TCM about a week before it is shown plus how to get schedules by month.

Phil C
02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
As pointed out by espn1 the 1947 movie The Egg and I was the movie that introduced Ma and Pa Kettle played by Marjarie Maine and Percy Kilbride. They weren't the main characters as pointed out but they were so popular that 7 more were made with Marjarie and Percy over several years. They were as follows:

1949 Ma and Pa Kettle
1950 Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town
1951 Ma and Pa Kettle Back on the Farm
1952 Ma and Pa Kettle at the Fair
1953 Ma and Pa Kettle on Vacation
1954 Ma and Pa Kettle at Home
1955 Ma and Pa Kettle at Waikiki

Unfortunately for us fans Percy Kilbride was in his later 60s in 1955 and decided to retire. The did make a couple of more movies with Marjarie Maine as Ma Kettle which were

1956 The Kettles in the Ozarks with Arthur Hunnicut as Uncle
Sedgewick where Ma Kettle and her kids go to Arkansas
to visit Uncle Sedgewick.
1957 The Kettles on Old McDonald's Farm with Parker
Finnelly as Pa Kettle.

The last two were good movies and were funny but not as funny or good as the other movies. Percy Kilbride was very much missed in these movies.

Phil C
03-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Don't forget. Next Month - April.

Phil C
03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
As an interesting note verteran character actor and stuntman Hank Worden (who was in many John Wayne movies) makes an uncredit brief appearance as a Judge.

PhiI C
04-18-2009, 08:33 PM
It is coming on Wednesday!