PDA

View Full Version : DONKEY STOMP for real

WHS02
02-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Wow those Canyon girls are a amazing b-ball team. I am so glad that Wylie girls don't have to play them this year. Canyon had Abilene Cooper down 51-0 at one point in the game.

51-0 deficit too much---- for Cooper
By Joey D. Richards richardsj@reporternews.com
Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Story Tools
E-mail story
Comments
iPod friendly
Printer friendly
More High School Sports
Nailbiters and blowouts
Big fifth inning propels Wylie
Bullodgs defense leads way to perfect season in 2-3A play
Canyon coach Joe Lombard looked up at the scoreboard and noticed his girls basketball team was ahead 51-0 late in the third quarter, and he actually began rooting for the Cooper Lady Cougars to score.

Cooper didn't get its first points until Deprise Cravin hit a basket to make it 51-2 with 2:45 left in the quarter. The No. 3-ranked Lady Eagles would go on to crush the Lady Cougars, 66-15, in the Class 4A bidistrict playoff game at Lubbock Christian University's Rip Griffin Center.

"I felt bad that Abilene Cooper hadn't scored," Lombard said. "Obviously, we had a great start to the game. After that happened, I was hoping Cooper would score. They finally did and started playing their game, playing like they're capable of that last quarter. So that was good."

Canyon (26-3), the co-champions from District 3, scored 28 points off 20 Cooper turnovers en route to a 39-0 halftime lead.

Cooper (10-20) took and missed eight shots in the half, including three in the first quarter.

"Coach Lombard is a class act," Cooper coach Kevin Long said. "He could have easily pressed the whole game and beat us 100 points.

"But what can you say? I was disappointed in how we came out. But turnovers have plagued us all year. You can tell those girls to get ready for the press. But until they see the press and have eight or nine turnovers in a row. And then when we did have an opportunity to shoot, it was just scared little girls."

Canyon, which had four turnovers in the half, hit 16-of-30 shots from the field.

"Our kids, having this week off just got them more ready and fired up about playing a bidistrict game," Lombard said. " So we came out at the start of the game on fire. Our defense was really good. It was just a good team effort."

So what do you tell your kids in the locker room down 39-0 at the break?

"I definitely talked about character and making sure that when we came out in the second half our heads held high and we were going to put some points on the board," Long said.

Canyon opened the second half with 12 straight points before Cravin scored.

Cooper, down 59-6 at the end of the third quarter, outscored Canyon 9-7 in the final quarter.

"Abilene Cooper has a very good team," Lombard said. "It was just a thing where they got knocked on their heels by the way we started the game. But they finished it well. You know, it's just an honor to be in the playoffs, and we're thrilled with where we're at."

Cooper finished with 31 turnovers. Canyon had six.

The Lady Coogs hit 7-of 24-field goals in the game. Canyon was 26-of-54.

Casey Land led Canyon with 12 points, and Emily Williams had 10. Eleven of 14 players on the Lady Eagles' roster scored.

Cravin led Cooper with six points. Courtney Cardona had five. Jessica Renner and Lauren Hartdige had two each for the Lady Coogs, who were the No. 3 seed from District 4.

"To only have won 10 games this year, it's a good group of kids to be around -- and I told them that," Long said.

kepdawg
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
The 4A Region 1 Tournament should be great!

#1 Timberview, #2 Arlington Seguin, #3 Canyon, and #7 Palo Duro should all be there!

WHS02
02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow that look slike that should be a good one, just like you said

wildstangs
02-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg

#1 Timberview, #2 Arlington Seguin, #3 Canyon, and #7 Palo Duro should all be there!

Wow. Too bad Plainview was down this year. Canyon VS. Plainview would have been huge in the playoffs.

injuredinmelee
02-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

where is the 4A Regional Tourney?

kepdawg
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
where is the 4A Regional Tourney?

San Angelo

grmfan93
02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
couple of the girls on canyon were at graham for a while....

eagles_victory
02-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Proof you dont need 4 teams in the playoffs.