PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach?????????

Bullaholic
02-18-2009, 10:33 AM
O.k. Tech fans, tell us if he is staying at Tech or going.....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2008754794_digs18.html

cshscougar08
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
If they don't work out these little details on his contract, they are definitely considering firing him. Leach didn't want or need a new contract. He just wants to spend out these last two years on it then work on a new agreement. Odd situation in my opinion.

nationalpastime
02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't blame Leach for being upset. He's a coach. There's going to be times where you have to see if the grass is going to be greener on the other side. I understand the "suits" are trying to lock up someone that has brought the program to prominence, but give the man what he wants without all the stipulations...he seems to want to stay there.

crzyjournalist03
02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Texas Tech needs Mike Leach more than Mike Leach needs Texas Tech.

Don't do anything stupid Tech...

I. B. Watching
02-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech should not take Leach for granted.

RMAC
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Both sides have really underestimated how much they need the other. Let's face it. Leach can't get a job anywhere better. He scares people too much. Tech can't get anyone better because it's in Lubbock. They both just need to kiss and make up.

Phil C
02-18-2009, 03:58 PM
:(

Phil C
02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
There is talk that the Aggies may buy out Sherman's contract and hire Leach.

Bullaholic
02-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
There is talk that the Aggies may buy out Sherman's contract and hire Leach.

I admire attorneys who take up coaching, PHil.....

Electus Unus
02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Both sides have really underestimated how much they need the other. Let's face it. Leach can't get a job anywhere better. He scares people too much. Tech can't get anyone better because it's in Lubbock. They both just need to kiss and make up. leach's name was at the top of the tennessee and auburn job boards. Tech can't go without leach. leach can go without tech though. Some say if they can't get this worked out the Ruffin McNiel era could begin.

I. B. Watching
02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech is in a bunch of trouble if Leach is fired. He's a great recruiter and has brought kids there who would have gone elsewhere. Plus, he has kids in place to run his offense. Who would be able to come in and coach that? I think it would set the program back many years if he leaves or is fired. I believe only Brown and Stoops have been more successful in the Big 12.

RMAC
02-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
leach's name was at the top of the tennessee and auburn job boards. Tech can't go without leach. leach can go without tech though. Some say if they can't get this worked out the Ruffin McNiel era could begin.

Leach rubs too many people the wrong way at schools like Auburn and Tennessee. Auburn and Tennessee might've been at the top of his list but I highly doubt that he was at the top of their lists. They could throw out more money than Tech could, so why wouldn't he leave? They didn't want him; that's why. I don't think he could ever coach at a school like either of those. The people running the shows over there are way too old school for a guy like him.

lakers
02-18-2009, 07:25 PM
He is stayin...no doubt.

slingshot
02-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Just remember two names: Gary Patterson from TCU and Art Briles from Baylor. My well-connected source tells me that behind the scenes discussions have already taken place with both camps and unless the impasse with Leach is broken in the next 48 hours (meaning he accepts Gerald Myers' contract stipulations)--one of these two will likely be the next TT coach... I'm hoping Capt Hook stays--but if he has to walk the plank then I'm rooting for Briles.

Electus Unus
02-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
Just remember two names: Gary Patterson from TCU and Art Briles from Baylor. My well-connected source tells me that behind the scenes discussions have already taken place with both camps and unless the impasse with Leach is broken in the next 48 hours (meaning he accepts Gerald Myers' contract stipulations)--one of these two will likely be the next TT coach... I'm hoping Capt Hook stays--but if he has to walk the plank then I'm rooting for Briles. I can see Briles for the fact that it is a step up but for Patterson he has built TCU into something worth staying at.

LH Panther Mom
02-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Just remember two names: Gary Patterson from TCU and Art Briles from Baylor. My well-connected source tells me that behind the scenes discussions have already taken place with both camps and unless the impasse with Leach is broken in the next 48 hours (meaning he accepts Gerald Myers' contract stipulations)--one of these two will likely be the next TT coach... I'm hoping Capt Hook stays--but if he has to walk the plank then I'm rooting for Briles.
I find it quite interesting that Gerald Myers is willing to talk to OTHER coaches "behind the scenes" yet the contract stipulation holding this up is that Leach is not able to talk to other schools without his knowledge, or be fired. :thinking: :thinking:

DDBooger
02-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Give Mike Leach an SEC defense, I'd be scared of the final product.

marler1972
02-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Texas Tech, Mike Leach reach agreement on contract extension

03:54 PM CST on Thursday, February 19, 2009
By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News
bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Texas Tech and Mike Leach have finally agreed to a contract extension after more than 10 months of negotiations, keeping the football coach at the school through 2013, a source with knowledge of the talks told The Dallas Morning News on Thursday.

Leach met with Tech chancellor Kent Hance for almost three hours Thursday afternoon and the two sides have agreed to Tech's $12.7 million offer that will extend Leach's current two-year deal three more seasons. The contract hasn't been signed, but that could take place as early as Friday, the source said.

Tech athletic director Gerald Myers and Leach's IMG agents, Gary O'Hagan and Matt Baldwin, didn't attend the meeting, which was just between Leach and Hance, the source said. Leach and Hance could not be reached for comment.

Leach and Hance hashed out the sticking points earlier Thursday involving four clauses that Tech inserted into its latest offer Jan. 9 that wrecked previous progress. The four clauses involved the guaranteed termination compensation Leach would receive if fired, the buyout amount he would pay if he left early, a penalty for interviewing for another job without permission and who controlled Leach's personal property rights. Details weren't immediately available as to how those four issues were resolved.

The convoluted and sometimes heated contract negotiations first became public after The Morning News filed an open records request in mid-January asking for documents involving talks between the two parties. On Wednesday, the drama played out nationally as Leach talked to everyone from ESPN to a local radio station.

Tech had set a Tuesday deadline for Leach to agree to its terms, but no deal was signed. A few hours before Tuesday's 5 p.m. deadline, Tech's Board of Regents called a "special teleconference meeting" for Friday in which regents were to discuss Leach's contract status and future with the school. Earlier Tuesday, about 40 people showed up outside the football offices for a rally on Leach's behalf.

On Wednesday, Leach formally requested that the regents' meeting be open and for him to have the chance to speak. But that won't be necessary after an almost yearlong standoff has ended with Leach able to keep his job following a 2008 season in which he led the Red Raiders to one of the best seasons in school history.

Leach, who just completed his ninth season, is seven wins shy of becoming the school's all-time winningest football coach.

DDBooger
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
looks like the regents blinked. The ol Pirate called their bluff!

JR2004
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Here's what I gathered about this situation from a Tech alum who keeps up with all this stuff and usually has some good information and insights into Tech's athletic program. Myers and Leach aren't really the best of friends (pretty much just a professional relationship that's pretty strained) to begin with and this was pretty much a pissing contest between the two. Leach wins this go-around, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Myers try to find an excuse to get him shipped out of Lubbock before that extension ends.

wildstangs
02-19-2009, 05:17 PM
There should be a college football coaches board for this type of thread.

RMAC
02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Myers was left out in the cold on this one. Instead of IMG and Myers going back and forth it was Leach and Hance and a deal was worked out in a few hours.

Phil C
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Whew!

marler1972
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Here's what I gathered about this situation from a Tech alum who keeps up with all this stuff and usually has some good information and insights into Tech's athletic program. Myers and Leach aren't really the best of friends (pretty much just a professional relationship that's pretty strained) to begin with and this was pretty much a pissing contest between the two. Leach wins this go-around, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Myers try to find an excuse to get him shipped out of Lubbock before that extension ends.

I think Myers will be gone before he gets a chance.

Maroon87
02-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
looks like the regents blinked. The ol Pirate called their bluff!

Tech was dumb to even let it get to this point.

WildTexan972
02-19-2009, 06:30 PM
It is not that Leach and Myers are not the best of friends - Leach truly does not like the guy. There are only 3 good sports right now at Tech in football, track, and the new baseball coach should have that team improving....and Myers wanted to raise ticket prices on home games and run off the coach to ruin the cashcow program....the BOR did not blink, but several of them did ask Hance to try to work this out and quit all this public fiasco, which he did.....no Myers and no IMG involved, just the 2 brightest of the group to get the details hammered out...

Now we can continue to pound Aggie and try to make that next step up to the OU/UT level each year.....

slingshot
02-19-2009, 07:41 PM
looks like the regents blinked. The ol Pirate called their bluff! The regents didn't blink... they just went around Myers and got Hance to get the deal done. Myers was ready to let Leach go and had alternate plans in place--thankfully the BOR didn't let that happen and Tech gets to keep the bulk of this year's talent that they would have likely lost had he walked. We reload in '09 then kick ass again in '10!!! Wreck'em Tech!

RMAC
02-19-2009, 07:50 PM
All I can say is this deserves a celebratory beer or 12 tomorrow after classes.:D

DDBooger
02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
The regents didn't blink... they just went around Myers and got Hance to get the deal done. Myers was ready to let Leach go and had alternate plans in place--thankfully the BOR didn't let that happen and Tech gets to keep the bulk of this year's talent that they would have likely lost had he walked. We reload in '09 then kick ass again in '10!!! Wreck'em Tech! heck, I don't know anything about Tech, just astonished they'd (apparently one man) even consider throwing out the best thing that ever happened to that football program. WISER heads prevailed.

Emerson1
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
heck, I don't know anything about Tech, just astonished they'd (apparently one man) even consider throwing out the best thing that ever happened to that university. WISER heads prevailed.
fixed

I wonder what how the students on campus would have reacted had they let him go.

espn1
02-19-2009, 08:19 PM
He was never going anywhere! His daughter is a freshman at Tech and friend told me she told him to stay put until she graduated!