PDA

View Full Version : Dale Jr/Vickers

Electus Unus
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
What is your take on the situation? I think there is a double standard and Jr should have been penalized. He was trying to pass illegally and Vickers cut him off so Jr gets angry and taps him causing the huge pile up.

crzyjournalist03
02-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Well, doesn't Jr. getting removed from contention serve as penalty? If he'd made it through, I bet he'd have been penalized a lap or two for being below the line, but considering that his stupidity banged his own car up, they probably figured that was enough.

Electus Unus
02-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Well, doesn't Jr. getting removed from contention serve as penalty? If he'd made it through, I bet he'd have been penalized a lap or two for being below the line, but considering that his stupidity banged his own car up, they probably figured that was enough. not to mention they were a lap down and cost Kyle Busch the race in which he led 88 laps

OldBison75
02-16-2009, 07:32 PM
In Nascar the contact is almost a given, the questions is the driver's intention to wreck another driver. In some instances, that is very clear, in some it is not. In this case, NASCAR said that JR was forced below the doule yellow stripes, which is out of bounds, and tried to re=enter the race track. They saw no intentionally aggressive moves, but said Dale moved up in a controlled motion, not a swerve that indicated intent.

Basically, NASCAR is saying that if you choose to block a faster car, you better be ready for some contact.

sinfan75
02-16-2009, 08:13 PM
What I saw was Vickers tryin to block Jr. and in the process didn't realize Jr. was that close. Jr. tried to avoid a wreck by goin into the grass but Vickers went down so fast that Jr. clipped his left rear causing Vickers to lose it. Don't believe it was anything Jr. do to avoid it than what he did. Why Kyle Busch is cryin is beyond me. He did plenty of knocking people out last year. But that's what happens in restrictor plate races. Bunched up cars and big wrecks. Plus the rain comin in kinda added to all the aggressive drivin that early in the race.

OldBison75
02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Just watched about 40 replays of the accident from different angles on NASCAR.com. What I see is Earnhardt pulling below Vickers to attempt a pass. He gets his car inside Vickers rear bumper and Vickers comes on down to block, Vickers hits Earnhardt's right front corner, turning him toward the grass. Earnhardt tries to reel in the car and comes back onto the track, hitting Vickers on the left rear. Vickers is the sent into a spin across the track to the outside wall.

After seeing all these replays that clearly show Vickers making first contact and causing Earnhardt to wobble on the apron, there is NO DOUBT that this was initiated by the actions of Vickers and was not intentional on anybody's part. THAT IS JUST NASCAR RESTRICTOR PLATE RACING!!!!!

CHS_CG
02-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Trust me, with the passion Jr has for racing, and given who his father was, you know would if Jr hit somebody intentionaly!

I listened to Nascar radio on XM Radio today and many people are under the impression going below the yellow line is not allowed at all, which is not true. Going below the, now, double yellow line is allowed UNLESS you advance your spot. If you advance below the double yellow line, you will be given a penalty.

Vickers clearly saw Jr coming, at a much faster rate than he was going mind you, and blocked him (all a common factor of racing). What Vickers didnt realize is how close Jr was to him, Vickers made first contact, Jr was simply trying to get back on the track and get back in line, though he didnt realize he wasnt clear of Vickers yet.

I am a huge fan of Jr's but both moves were uncalled for and it caused big problems with a lot of drivers that were on the led lap. I do, on the other hand, understand why they were racing so hard, Jr was wanting to be the first car 1 lap down, so he could advance back to the led lap if a caution came out.

eagles_victory
02-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Isnt this kind of stuff why we have the non sports forum?

sinfan75
02-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Racing is a sport.

I_Do_Care
02-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Racing is a sport.
:dispntd:

Simple Man
02-17-2009, 08:20 AM
The Jr./Vickers incident was just two men trying to put themselves in a position to win the Daytona 500. That being said, Sunday was a prime example of why Jr. will never win the championship. He just makes to many mistakes. His own mistakes caused him to be a lap down on Sunday.

IHS Fan
02-17-2009, 10:09 AM
in his interview after tne race, jr. was asked about the penalty that put him a lap down. since he pitted on the line he was held one lap. instead of taking the blame he said the rule needed to be changed. the sad part is, he was serious. that's one reason i don't like him.

Electus Unus
02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by IHS Fan
in his interview after tne race, jr. was asked about the penalty that put him a lap down. since he pitted on the line he was held one lap. instead of taking the blame he said the rule needed to be changed. the sad part is, he was serious. that's one reason i don't like him. The sad part is it will probably get changed but not because its a "stupid rule," only because of who his dad was.