PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Coach

wildstangs
02-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Who do you think it will be and why?

Daddy D 11
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
That's who they've narrowed it down to?

I'd go with Clyde coach, only because Del Valle hasn't been too great as of late.

Sweetwater Red
02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Here's Mayfield's results from last year...

Del Valle Schedule Date Time Opponent Result
8/28/08 TBA @ Lanier (Austin, TX) 55-0 (W)
9/05/08 TBA vs. Ellison (Killeen, TX) 19-59 (L)
9/12/08 7:30 AM @ Hendrickson (Pflugerville, TX) 14-44 (L)
9/19/08 7:30 AM vs. Hutto (Hutto, TX) 21-48 (L)
9/26/08 TBA vs. St. Thomas Catholic (Houston, TX) 14-16 (L)
10/10/08 7:30 AM @ Lockhart (Lockhart, TX) * 34-33 (W)
10/17/08 TBA vs. Manor (Manor, TX) * 13-40 (L)
10/24/08 TBA @ Lehman (Kyle, TX) * 44-14 (W)
10/31/08 TBA @ Hays (Buda, TX) * 22-30 (L)
11/07/08 TBA vs. Elgin (Elgin, TX) * 21-32 (L)

* District Game

kepdawg
02-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
He got there in 2005, and Im pretty sure had 3 winning seasons in a row from 05 to '07 with a playoff trip in there somewhere(2005 maybe?). That kinda success is unprecidented for the Del Valle Cardinals.

COURTESY OF WOS87

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/a/austindelvalle.gif

Sweetwater Red
02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Is Westlake the only good football school in Austin?:confused:

kepdawg
02-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Is Westlake the only good football school in Austin?:confused:

Lake Travis seems to be doing okay these days.

SWMustang
02-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Del Valle is the barrio. If you can win any games there, you're pretty good in my book.

LH Panther Mom
02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Del Valle is the barrio. If you can win any games there, you're pretty good in my book.
The spanking by Manor doesn't say much for this past season.

wildstangs
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I liked Chip when I interviewed with him this summer. Like someone said earlier, if he can win games in Del Valle, he would be fine in Sweetwater. Hope he gets the job.

wildstangs
02-16-2009, 05:57 PM
You lookin' to get back home? How you liking Scotty? Does it look promising at all over in G-Town?

Clean out your PM box!

GetRDoneStangs
02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I am still sticking with Slaughter......

He somewhat knows the kids, seeing them the past 3 years.

He knows the district and the area really well

Most ALL of the programs at Clyde have been successful over the years

His teams have played tough, smash mouth football.....I understand he really pushes the weight room and off season

I think he can come in make some adjustments....it won't be a radical change...but I bet he will pass more than we have in the past!!!

Having met him on the sidelines and watching him on the local TV sports, he has the personality to fit in with the kids and the community.

Just my own 2 cents worth!!

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs

His teams have played tough, smash mouth football.....I understand he really pushes the weight room and off season

I think he can come in make some adjustments....it won't be a radical change...but I bet he will pass more than we have in the past!!!

Having met him on the sidelines and watching him on the local TV sports, he has the personality to fit in with the kids and the community.

Just my own 2 cents worth!!

I'd agree with that.

wildstangs
02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Back to the top. Anyone planning on being at the bowl Friday?

GetRDoneStangs
02-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Back to the top. Anyone planning on being at the bowl Friday?

yep....planning my work and lunch to be in town for the announcement.

Texasfootball2
02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs

Just my own 2 cents worth!! Even though I think a lot of Slaughter as a coach and the job he has done at Clyde, if I was doing the hiring at Sweetwater I would hire someone who has a history of throwing the ball with some success. Sweetwater has had a great run of athletes but they have been so one dimensional that they could not make deep playoff runs. Slaughter's style is very similiar, in that Clyde hasn't been able to throw the ball either. Again, this is just my opinion but if I was a Sweetwater fan I would love to see them hire someone who will open it up a little on offense.

ccmom
02-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I can definately understand that. Would hate to continue what has made you successfull. That would be stupid.

Great post!! I mean...poor Jackson only made it to the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR he was there. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started.:mad:

Texasfootball2
02-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I can definately understand that. Would hate to continue what has made you successfull. That would be stupid.

Never said they weren't successfull, but they have had the athletes to achieve more than they have the past several years. Yes, they have made the playoffs but their playoff runs are cut short and not because they were beat by a superior team, but because their total one dimensional style makes it very difficult to beat teams that have equal talent in the playoffs. I'm not talking about a total spead or run and shoot all out air attack. But some sort of balance that gives them a chance to overcome long yardage situations. And on a strategic note. If you like rushing success over the past few years, just imagine how much "more" success they could have if other teams had to have a little respect for the pass.

Like Lou Holtz use to say, "If you do what you've always done, your going to get what you've always got".

If just making the playoffs is your ultimate goal then by all means, don't change a thing. But if your goals are to play games in December then sometimes you may have to step outside the box and try something a little different.

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Even though I think a lot of Slaughter as a coach and the job he has done at Clyde, if I was doing the hiring at Sweetwater I would hire someone who has a history of throwing the ball with some success. Sweetwater has had a great run of athletes but they have been so one dimensional that they could not make deep playoff runs. Slaughter's style is very similiar, in that Clyde hasn't been able to throw the ball either. Again, this is just my opinion but if I was a Sweetwater fan I would love to see them hire someone who will open it up a little on offense.

Brownwood threw the ball VERY well. They had a bunch of
athletes and went 3-7.

As far as deep playoff runs...the one team that's had our number
and knocked us out in the first couple rounds is Vernon. They've
done it three times this decade.

GreenMonster
02-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Sweetwater has had a great run of athletes but they have been so one dimensional that they could not make deep playoff runs. I just want to know what exactly it is that you consider a deep playoff run to be? I know for fact that your Mustangs have played for the Region I championship twice in the Jackson era and the Semi's once. In my opinion a deep play-off run is any season that last beyond Thanksgiving. How many of those did the Mustangs enjoy under Jackson?

Black_Magic
02-19-2009, 11:34 AM
athletes and went 3-7.

done it three times this decade. Snyder has had your number too when it comes to playoffs.. ANYWAY... Back on topic. I heard from someone that Slaughter or anyone else may just flat turn down the job if they ever walked through the offseason program right now. Thats just what I heard.;)
http://www.sunrealtync.com/surf%20fishing%20by%20the%20pier.jpg

Texasfootball2
02-19-2009, 12:08 PM
athletes and went 3-7.

done it three times this decade.

Man some of you people are acting like I said they should throw it on every down. All I said was, I think they should try to throw it with "some success", not every down. And to compare the Mustangs to Brownwoods 3-7 team is apples and oranges. The Mustang were very good on defense, the 3-7 Lions couldn't stop anybody. If you took have of Brownwoods offensive success and paired it with the Mustangs defense last year and they would have been almost unbeatable.

lakers
02-19-2009, 12:11 PM
If Slaughter were to get the job it would be a great opportunity for him and having played for him I know what kind of offense he implements and it is not as one dimensional as everybody thinks. He seems to use the strengths of his team. My senior year we like to grind the ball out because we had a darn good o-line and a very powerful back but we seemed to always run a lot of screens. The pass plays were always in the playbook we just didnt use them as much because we had a young quarterback who was put into his position because of injuries. I did notice at this year's games that I went to that they aired it out a little more, but when you have a senior quarterback you would expect too.

Bottom line is I think he could do some great things at Sweetwater if he were to get the job.

injuredinmelee
02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Great post!! I mean...poor Jackson only made it to the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR he was there. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started.:mad:

yeah but your biased... lol ;) ;) ;)

Texasfootball2
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Just something for Sweetwater fans who have actually watched the Mustangs play over the past few years to think about.

As long as the Mustangs were on schedule ( which means they were positive yardage plays on offense ) they were fairly effective.

"BUT", as soon as they had a negative play or a penalty that put them in long yardage situations, my guess is they had a very low percentage of making first downs in those situations.

I also never said that Slaughter wouldn't have success at Sweetwater, he is an outstanding coach. Even though he may have passing plays in the playbook, heck Liberty Hill probably has them in the playbook, Clyde has not scared anybody throwing the ball either.

I would think that as many applicants as there were for this job that there was someone in the mix that runs a balance offensive style of football and has had years of success doing it.

pirate4state
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Holy smokes! TF2 now you've done it! You aren't even from Sweetwater! HAHA

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Holy smokes! TF2 now you've done it! You aren't even from Sweetwater! HAHA

Well whens the last time Wylie won anything anyway?:confused:

:D

Texasfootball2
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Ok, a little insight for ya. Your "guess" is that they had a low percentage? I can promise Jackson KNOWS if they did or not. Part of what goes on on saturdays and sundays when the coaches are working is amassing all of the game information and knowing the productivity of every play, in every situation.
But, Im sure you're right in your ASSUMPTION that 1st down percentage went down following a negative play. Guess what(since you like to guess), that's the case for every team in country!
Here's a thought; cheer on the kids and leave the coaching to the coaches.

Really, I didn't know that everybodies percentage went down following a negative play:thinking: thanks for telling me. But teams who can actually throw a foward pass with some success have a better chance of overcoming long yardage situations than those who try to run the ball against an eight man front every play (and thats not a guess). Also don't remember saying anything negative about Coach Jackson. In fact Kent and I are friends and have been for over 20 years. He is one of my favorite people in the coaching business and is a great role model for young people. I have also cheered on the Sweetwater kids and many others from this district since I joined this board. And since I like to "guess", my best guess is that somebody pissed in your Post Toasties this morning or something, because I haven't seen where anything I posted was negative against Coach Jackson or the "kids" of Sweetwater?

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/135416/1/

New SISD athletic director to be announced Friday

Written by Ron Howell

Thursday, 19 February 2009

After about a month of accepting applications and interviewing potential candidates, the Sweetwater Independent School District will announce its selection Friday to replace Kent Jackson as Sweetwater High School's head football coach and athletic director.
The search is now down to just two finalists, Chip Mayfield of Austin Del Valle and Craig Slaughter of Clyde. And shortly after noon Friday at Mustang Bowl, one of them will be chosen as Jackson's replacement.
Sweetwater ISD superintendent Terry Pittman will make his recommendation to the board when it meets in a special session at noon tomorrow at the Bowl. After the board's vote, either Slaughter or Mayfield will be introduced with a brief news conference to follow. The public is encouraged to attend. The meeting will move to the high school auditorium in case of inclement weather.
Jackson resigned last month after eight years at Sweetwater to accept a similar position at Frisco Heritage High School. He had a 78-26 record here with eight playoff appearances and the second most wins in school history.
Jackson's last team finished with a 10-3 record, finishing as the District 2-3A runnerup to Abilene Wylie and reaching the regional semifinals before losing to Liberty Hill. Under Jackson's leadership, Sweetwater won at least 10 games four times and reached the 3A Division II state semifinals in 2005 when the team was 13-2.
Slaughter, Clyde's coach the past three seasons, led his team to a district championship this past season when the Bulldogs had an 11-2 record in Class 2A. In his first two years, Clyde played in Sweetwater's district and made it to the playoffs both years while ending a 10-year drought. Slaughter's overall record is 23-12 at Clyde, which managed a total of just four more wins in the nine years before he arrived there. He also coached for four years at Hearne, where he had a 24-19 record with a program that was just 24-85 in the 11 years before that. He is a native of Winters and has also been an assistant at Ballinger and Menard.
Mayfield has been the head coach at Austin Del Valle, a 4A school, since 2005 and during that time has also turned around a long-suffering program.
Before Mayfield arrived, Del Valle had not enjoyed a winning season since 1982, but has finished above .500 in each of the last two years. Mayfield previously was defensive coordinator at San Antonio Taft, which during his time there reached the Class 5A Division I state finals.

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Am I the only one that thinks it's a little strange that they are
going to have both coaches attend this announcement....then,
send one of them home without the job????:thinking:

Dieselsmoke
02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
"American Coach", they don't have to sing first do they?:D

kepdawg
02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Am I the only one that thinks it's a little strange that they are
going to have both coaches attend this announcement....then,
send one of them home without the job????:thinking:

Does it say they are both going to be there? :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Does it say they are both going to be there? :thinking:

Sweetwater ISD superintendent Terry Pittman will make his recommendation to the board when it meets in a special session at noon tomorrow at the Bowl. After the board's vote, either Slaughter or Mayfield will be introduced with a brief news conference to follow.

Am I misreading this. Don't you have to be there to be introduced?:confused: :thinking:

pirate4state
02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Am I misreading this. Don't you have to be there to be introduced?:confused: :thinking: :doh: :doh: :doh: LOL

Uh, they'll know BEFORE you & the other Mustang fans whether or not they were hired. :p :p

kepdawg
02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Am I misreading this. Don't you have to be there to be introduced?:confused: :thinking:

Yes, and I suppose if they nor the coaches actually have no clue who it will be then they would both need to be there. I would think by now somebody would have a clue!

ccmom
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Ummm...yes, he would need to be there, but I am sure that who ever the chosen candidate is will already know he has been selected and be present for the announcement. The board vote is merely a formality. Likewise, I feel confident that the other finalist will have already been notified. Just guessing though...:confused: ;)

Phantom Stang
02-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Maybe they'll announce it "Beauty Pageant" style, where they both attend ,and the winning coach starts shaking and breaks down in tears, while the 1st runner up coach forces a smile and hugs his neck.

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Ummm...yes, he would need to be there, but I am sure that who ever the chosen candidate is will already know he has been selected and be present for the announcement. The board vote is merely a formality. Likewise, I feel confident that the other finalist will have already been notified. Just guessing though...:confused: ;)

So, when I show up at noon and see Coach x sitting there in the
bowl I can just turn around and leave?:confused:

DU_stud04
02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
i heard both are showing up and they're having a steal cage match fight to the death..... i could be wrong about that, i heard it at sonic, not whataburger or dorris'

Sweetwater Red
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Maybe they'll announce it "Beauty Pageant" style, where they both attend ,and the winning coach starts shaking and breaks down in tears, while the 1st runner up coach forces a smile and hugs his neck.

:clap: :D :clap:

Lion_Addict

HA HA HA!!!! :clap: :clap:

Lion_Addict
02-19-2009, 02:34 PM
the coach starts shaking and breaks down in tears.

Like whichever one will be doing when they look over accross the field and see Coach Shipley in the not too distant future.... :devil: :D :stirpot:

Lion_Addict
02-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Red........I'm betting yawl get "Slaughter"ed. ;)

ccmom
02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
So, when I show up at noon and see Coach x sitting there in the
bowl I can just turn around and leave?:confused:

I suppose if you wanted to you could.:confused: It sounds to be like maybe you were hoping for the cage fight or the beauty pageant approach. :doh:

ccmom
02-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
Like whichever one will be doing when they look over accross the field and see Coach Shipley in the not too distant future.... :devil: :D :stirpot:

Yawn....:rolleyes:

Black_Magic
02-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
Like whichever one will be doing when they look over accross the field and see Coach Shipley in the not too distant future.... :devil: :D :stirpot: I AM SO SURE!!
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/26/pixelscared.jpg

Texasfootball2
02-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Ummm...yes, he would need to be there, but I am sure that who ever the chosen candidate is will already know he has been selected and be present for the announcement. The board vote is merely a formality. Likewise, I feel confident that the other finalist will have already been notified. Just guessing though...:confused: ;) :ditto: :iagree:

cr180t
02-19-2009, 03:10 PM
What if the 2 are there then they select and the board says no to the first one then they vote for the 2nd one. That would be like the bachelor huh

Snydertigersrul
02-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I heard through the grapevine that coach Slaughter won't be at Clyde on Friday.

wildstangs
02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
according to a post on The Old Coach.

http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=421&tid=120925362&mid=120925362&sid=984&style=2

Guys on there usually know what they are talking about.

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
HC/AD Craig Slaughter has just submitted his resignation to
the Clyde school board.

I wonder what that means.:confused: :D

Phantom Stang
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
source?

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2009, 04:20 PM
source?

A work with a member of the Clyde school board.:thumbsup:

wildstangs
02-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Why is this here? People can post about their lunch, dog, car, american idol on the main board, but something like this gets moved to the obscure location?

Phantom Stang
02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Why is this here? People can post about their lunch, dog, car, american idol on the main board, but something like this gets moved to the obscure location?
+1
It's news not a job posting.

Phantom Stang
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
+1
It's news not a job posting.
Not that I see anything wrong with talking about lunch, dogs, cars. or American Idol on the main board!:D

Texas Grid Iron
02-19-2009, 04:49 PM
It is a done deal they maybe trying to keep it a secret and some may already know but Coach Craig Slaughter got the job at Sweetwater they got a great one!!!!!

kepdawg
02-19-2009, 04:49 PM
:spitlol:

Emerson1
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
To validate actions.

lakers
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
A work with a member of the Clyde school board.:thumbsup:

U must work with Mr. Welch.

injuredinmelee
02-19-2009, 05:26 PM
this whole ceremony doesnt sound overblown at all.

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by lakers
U must work with Mr. Welch.

WHO????:confused:

:devil:

LH Panther Mom
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
It's a heck of a lot easier to find a thread about a COACH in the COACHING forum when you don't have to weed through the lunch, dog, car, and American Idol threads. Not everyone utilizes the "search" function, you know. If they did, there wouldn't have been eleventy-three threads. ;)

wildstangs
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It's a heck of a lot easier to find a thread about a COACH in the COACHING forum when you don't have to weed through the lunch, dog, car, and American Idol threads. Not everyone utilizes the "search" function, you know. If they did, there wouldn't have been eleventy-three threads. ;)

Well how about moving all that crap to a separate board instead of moving FOOTBALL coaching news. :thinking:

pirate4state
02-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Well how about moving all that crap to a separate board instead of moving FOOTBALL coaching news. :thinking: How about no. It's the "off season" all that crap stays on the main board. If people want to utilize the non sports forum for stuff they are welcome to do so, but it won't be moved off the main board.

She has a point and seriously there were already 2 threads on the FIRST page alone about the same subject. At the very least they were going to be merged.

It's back on the main board, so its a non issue.

Congrats to the Mustangs...you have a new coach.

Bubba-Joe
02-19-2009, 09:11 PM
WHOA now folks slow down everybody take a big ole deep breath and relax

Now ole Bubba aint been here in a while other than an observer, but this thing is gettin uncivil.......

Yeah its a hot topic, just like other job opening have been,
Imagine a 3a Downlow if Blackies boss was to leave.. I mean come on how hot and wild would an opening at say Abilene Wyile become........

and yes American Idol aint on tonight.... at least I hope to gawd it aint........

This time tomorrow all the talk will be about the NEW guy at Sweetwater, then we will have a week or maybe two at the most and everything will settle back down to the A-Rod , Mt Rushmore, Kentucky phenom guard Meeks, or even the State basketball talk, maybe some March Maddness hoops talk

So Bubba Joes advice

is to remember this-- "Life aint no box of chocolates, it is really more like a big ole jar of Jalapenos
What you do today, just might set your rear end on fire tomorrow but aint it fun to do anyway"

cr180t
02-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Bubba I have been called a lot of things but you just hit the button. I can not believe you called me blackie's boss. Come on this thread should be removed now. I think you should edit that post.

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by cr180t
Bubba I have been called a lot of things but you just hit the button. I can not believe you called me blackie's boss. Come on this thread should be removed now. I think you should edit that post.

What else would you call the guy that has an asst. coach that
brings him coffee every morning?:confused:

Phantom Stang
02-20-2009, 12:53 PM
T minus 7 minutes!

LH Panther Mom
02-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by cr180t
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: That cracked me up! :D

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2009, 12:59 PM
T minus 7 minutes!

I don't want to spoil it for you. So, I won't tell you who got the
job.:D

Phantom Stang
02-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't want to spoil it for you. So, I won't tell you who got the
job.:D :mad:

Butkus
02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Imma guessin tha announcment musta sent those tiggers inta hiding.

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
Imma guessin tha announcment musta sent those tiggers inta hiding.

Pmoney is around. But, most of the Snyder posters went into
hiding after the Monahans game.:thinking: :devil: