PDA

View Full Version : 40 Years ago Yesterday (2-14-29)

Phil C
02-15-2009, 06:35 PM
There was the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. I didn't bring it up yesterday in order to not distract from a day of love. In the morning of Feb. 14, 1929 members of Al Capone's gang desguised as policemen made a raid on a garage in order to eliminate (murder) Bugs Moran and some of his gang. Moran was running late but one of his men who had a build like him was mistaken for him and this saved his life. The police "raid" started and 7 men there were lined up against the wall and shot down. Two of them were innocent bystanders so to speak that included a mechanic that worked at the garage.
This result in public outrage and got the federal government involved in the fight against the criminal elements in Chicago who had their own public officers in office. What outraged the public was not just the senseless murders but also the fact that the murderers were disguised as police officers. Also the innocent mechanic had a wife and household of kids who were left without a husband and father who was just trying to make a living to care for his family.

Phil C
02-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Also the fact that this occurred on St. Valentine's Day didn't help matters any either.

espn1
02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
40 years ago? I think you mean 80!

Phil C
02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by espn1
40 years ago? I think you mean 80!

Right you are espn1! It is good to know my outstanding posts are well read. In just 20 more years it will be 100!

Phil C
02-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Other interesting notes are that St. Valentine's Day in 1929 was on a Wednesday. The Massacre occurred on a cold but clear Chicago morning. After the massacre it began to snow.

Phil C
02-16-2009, 09:48 AM
A great movie about the massacre was made in 1967 called The St. Valentine's Day Massacre. It was well done and made in color and was shown in a documentary style. It starred Jason Robards as Al Capone, Ralph Meeker as Bugs Moran and Bruce Dern as the innocent mechanic.
Jack Nicolson was not the big star he was to become in a few years but he does have a brief ten second part and he is one of the gansters shown in about the middle of the movie and he has the line about poisoned bullets.
This movie is shown every once in a while on tv and I will announce it when it is to be shown again. Enjoy.

eagles_victory
02-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Right you are espn1! It is good to know my outstanding posts are well read. In just 20 more years it will be 100! Didnt you say you were a CPA? Or is it you just living in the 60s still? lol

Farmersfan
02-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Didnt you say you were a CPA? Or is it you just living in the 60s still? lol

My question is not directed about the massacre but at what you said in the first sentence: What would make you believe Valentines day is a day of LOVE????? 99.5% of all men feel this day is nothing more than a day of forced responsibility to spend money in order to show your love to the significant other because all the things you have done for 364 days previous to show your love goes out the window if you don't follow the flock on this particular day. It's a retailers holiday that men have not been able to get out from under................Just asking!

espn1
02-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Didnt you say you were a CPA? Or is it you just living in the 60s still? lol Loved the 60's, had a great time in the 70's and completely tore it up in the 80's! http://www.thelaughingstock.co.uk/acatalog/hippy_kit.JPG

Bull Butter
02-22-2009, 03:21 AM
Welcome to 1969

Phil C
02-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Bull John Wayne won the well deserved oscar for True Grit in 1969. Jack Nicolson was nominated for best supporting actor for Easy Rider with Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper. Easy Rider was very popular and established Jack as a big star in Hollywood.