PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Baseball

Isee_everything
02-15-2009, 02:15 PM
So how is Columbus looking so far I know they have scrimmaged El Campo and Halletsville anybody with any thoughts on them?

Buffgal
02-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Anticipate great district games this baseball season.

Giddings has had two scrimmages vs Rice Consolidated and Elgin. Lexington will be next. Batting order and defense is pretty set from last year after only losing 3 seniors. Catcher, CF and 3B will probably see a few new faces. JV team looked stronger than expected and the numbers were up.

Parking will be an issue @ the Giddings home games. Actually finding the baseball field is the biggest issue. Once you accomplish this, you can find a dirt parking space. Just a heads up for all the opposing team's supporters. New school is going up fast with the dry weather and is predicted to be ready by next school year.

3afan
02-15-2009, 05:53 PM
doesn't LaGrange always win their district?

Isee_everything
02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
La Grange does not always win thier district I think Bellville Giddings and Columbus will be fighting for the top spot.

Isee_everything
02-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Also does anybody know if there is any truth to this rumor about Giddings aquiring a new kid from Arkansas that could pitch for them.

allforball
02-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
doesn't LaGrange always win their district?
Not since 2004.

Brahma84
02-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Like Giddings, Bellville is returning most of their team from last year. Bellville is returning 8 defensive starters, replacing only the right fielder from last season. Bellville has scrimmaged Katy Taylor and Waller. Pitching should be strong again this season. Cerny usually gets the defense worked out. Hitting may be the question mark. Bellville plays some tough games early: Waller, St. Pius, Mayde Creek and Episcopal. Hopefully that will get us ready for district.

buff4life
02-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Isee_everything
Also does anybody know if there is any truth to this rumor about Giddings aquiring a new kid from Arkansas that could pitch for them.

haven't heard anything about that but i haven't really been in the loop if ya know what i mean

Bone Pile
02-16-2009, 10:19 AM
If Columbus can have the best 9 on the field at all times,they will be tough. If favorites are played,not so tough.

GWOOD
02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I think the biggest challenge for Columbus will be to match the pitching of Bellville and Giddings. Bellville had the best pitching staff in last year's 23-3a and they return all of their pitching.

Giddings looks pretty good returning their top 2 pitchers from last year. Some think Masek will really step it up this year. Giddings may be the best offensive team in 25-3A.

I look for Columbus to get the #3 seed but have enough talent to take one from either Bellville or Giddings in district play.

allforball
02-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
I think the biggest challenge for Columbus will be to match the pitching of Bellville and Giddings. Bellville had the best pitching staff in last year's 23-3a and they return all of their pitching.

Giddings looks pretty good returning their top 2 pitchers from last year. Some think Masek will really step it up this year. Giddings may be the best offensive team in 25-3A.

I look for Columbus to get the #3 seed but have enough talent to take one from either Bellville or Giddings in district play.

With our new coach here in La Grange I will predict La Grange will take the 3rd spot in District, we will have young pitchers but will throw strikes and small ball our way into the playoffs. We will have 5 players in the top of the lineup who can hit, the bottom will be a little weak but our coach will make things happen. No pressure if we make the playoffs great, if we miss out we will return most all starters next year. Good Luck Leps.

I. B. Watching
02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Interesting in that every team has votes

hookandladder
02-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
Interesting in that every team has votes

In our District no doubt Bellville and Giddings will be strong but I would say everyone other than Sealy has an outside chance of winning District, granted it's a long shot but look what our boy's BB team did. No one picked them to win District and look what happened. The only reason I excluded Sealy is because I have no idea what they have this year, so I do not want to give my opinion on them. They may be good also, great time of the year. Love Football but Baseball is top for me.

duckhunter
02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
In our District no doubt Bellville and Giddings will be strong but I would say everyone other than Sealy has an outside chance of winning District, granted it's a long shot but look what our boy's BB team did. No one picked them to win District and look what happened. The only reason I excluded Sealy is because I have no idea what they have this year, so I do not want to give my opinion on them. They may be good also, great time of the year. Love Football but Baseball is top for me. the district in regards to basketball is a complete 180 compared to baseball. the district as a whole in basketball is super weak, baseball wise it will be extremely top heavy with bellville and giddings both ranked in the top 10. the fight for the third playoff spot should be interesting.

PutMeInCoach
02-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by allforball
With our new coach here in La Grange I will predict La Grange will take the 3rd spot in District, we will have young pitchers but will throw strikes and small ball our way into the playoffs. We will have 5 players in the top of the lineup who can hit, the bottom will be a little weak but our coach will make things happen. No pressure if we make the playoffs great, if we miss out we will return most all starters next year. Good Luck Leps.

Doesn't LG have a senior pitcher that's pretty decent? Not overpowering, but a smart pitcher.

hookandladder
02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach
Doesn't LG have a senior pitcher that's pretty decent? Not overpowering, but a smart pitcher.

Yes, he is in Basketball playoffs so will be a little behind. Yes, not overpowering fastball around 80 with good breaking ball. Must have command of breaking pitch to be successful.