PDA

View Full Version : 3rd principal at Navasota High

HEMOTOXIC
02-15-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.theeagle.com/local/Principal-is-3rd-in-school-year2009-02-14T21-51-29

By JANET PHELPS
janet.phelps@theeagle.com

Navasota High School students Monday will have a new principal, the third this school year.

District Superintendent Jennings Teel said interim Principal Charles Hebert had to leave his post at the high school to care for his ailing wife. Hebert's last day was Friday.

Navasota Middle School Principal Amy Jarvis will oversee the high school for the remainder of the year beginning Monday, Teel said.

"This is an emergency situation," Teel said last week. "We don't have the time to go out and advertise for another interim principal. So I approached Amy Jarvis, and she said she would be more than willing to step in for an interim period."

Students began the school year under the leadership of Shawn Elliott, who was reassigned as director of pupil services in November. District officials said there was not a specific incident that led to Elliott's move, which came less than seven months after he was hired for the principal position.

Hebert, a retired principal who took over as interim for the first time in September 2007, had planned to stay through the end of the year to give district officials time to find a permanent replacement.

Teel said Jarvis was an excellent choice for the interim. She will oversee both the middle school, which has 585 students, and the high school, with 761 students.

"At this point, I think this is the best move we can take from a district standpoint. All the kids know Amy. Under the circumstances, this is probably about the smoothest transition we can make," he said.

Jarvis, who has been head of the middle school for two years, said Friday that her primary responsibility would be the high school.

The staff at the high school has changed leadership more than once a year for the past six years.

Jarvis said that she knew it would be difficult to gain the trust of the school staff in such a short time but that she had the advantage of already knowing most of the students.

"I want to bring them some stability at the high school and do my best to help them bring up their scores," she said, referring to state-mandated tests. "The main thing is just to offer them some stability."

Elliott filed a complaint against Teel after he was reassigned. Teel answered his complaint Feb. 5 and said he was waiting for a response from Elliott's attorney. Both Elliott and Teel declined to give details of the complaint.

Elliott replaced Brent Rumbo, who resigned in 2007 after three months on the job after allegations surfaced that he had chased a group of students with a stick or an ax, according to police records. A Grimes County grand jury found there was not enough evidence for an indictment, and Rumbo was not charged.:mad:

HEMOTOXIC
02-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Navasota ISD is a joke!

#1-They need to overhaul their current administration immediately! Why on earth would you continue to give the superintendent extensions when the school district is doing so poorly!!!??????

#2- Stop hiring from outside when you have qualified people to do the job. Too many teachers/ coaches/administrators are coming in just to earn a paycheck. They dont care anything about the students, their famililes, the school district, nor the town, AND IT SHOWS!!!!

NAVASOTA ISD, it is getting embarassing. Get with the program!:mad:

navscanmaster
02-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Agreed with all of the above, except over the Brent Rumbo situation. They ruffled his feathers in an attempt to disgrace him and a) get him in hot water and b) make him leave. They accomplished both, and it was sad. I think he was what those high school kids needed with his no nonsense disciplinarian style. He had correctional job experience in his younger years, and that was in my opinion an excellent fit for a school with kids and parents that did not want to be told what to do. Too many of our kids take no reponsibility in their homework, classwork, driving habits, attitude, dress, and home life. Those kids targeted his home and wife for whatever reason, and he responded as any protective homeowner and family man should have. It was proven in the investigation that the ax chasing incident did not occur. Fast forward to now and the man took a job at a state school, a place where the kids are definitely in need of discipline, and a group of NISD parents continue to follow him and try to ruin his life by filing complaints and smearing his name more in local papers. It still makes me sick to think we not only have adults acting like this in our community, but alas, they have offspring...:dispntd:

JR2004
02-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Small town politics are fun. Thank God I'll never, ever live in one again.

Trashman
02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Come on Jr. The Dallas ISD is the bigest joke in the state.:D

navscanmaster
02-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Small town politics are fun. Thank God I'll never, ever live in one again.
Tell me about it. I love the town in general, but a good group of the citizens, usually the loudest, are never happy with anything. It is like they sit there all day and intentionally think of why everything sucks. "We didn't need a new football field (because I never go to the games and it doesn't matter to me)." "The bond package made my taxes go way up (even though they were immediately lowered by legislation, saving me money anyhow)" "I can't stand going to Bryan/College Station because of the highway construction (even though it has been planned and budgeted for years and will save lives and travel time.)

We are thinking about moving to Bryan or College Station since my job and her school are both there, but I just don't know yet.

JR2004
02-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Come on Jr. The Dallas ISD is the bigest joke in the state.:D

DISD is comical, but it really boils down to one man's ineptness at running a district of this size. We don't need crazy people trying to smear his name and reputation. Our superintendent is able to ruin his reputation all by himself!

DISD is more of an employees vs. the super (You know the whole screwed several hundred people out of a job thing) than anything because of how he has horribly mismanaged the school district. I have yet to run across a teacher or coach in DISD who has said one nice thing about Hinojosa. Some of the things he tried to implement just wound up pissing off so many folks that they had to be abandoned and forgotten.

JR2004
02-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Tell me about it. I love the town in general, but a good group of the citizens, usually the loudest, are never happy with anything. It is like they sit there all day and intentionally think of why everything sucks. "We didn't need a new football field (because I never go to the games and it doesn't matter to me)." "The bond package made my taxes go way up (even though they were immediately lowered by legislation, saving me money anyhow)" "I can't stand going to Bryan/College Station because of the highway construction (even though it has been planned and budgeted for years and will save lives and travel time.)

We are thinking about moving to Bryan or College Station since my job and her school are both there, but I just don't know yet.

Sounds a lot like my hometown. There's always that group of people who are never happy no matter what happens. You could hand them a check for a 1000 dollars and they'd complain that it wasn't twice that much.

I don't know a great deal about B/CS, but moving there sounds like something worth looking into for you and your family.

Trashman
02-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Jr., you are right. The point I was trying to make was that politics happens everywhere, at any size district, not just in small towns. :D

pirate4state
02-15-2009, 02:42 PM
At 3A Downlow, we also tend to frown upon posts that attack the integrity of school systems...

Take it up with your school board, not on here!