PDA

View Full Version : Why does Sweetwater struggle so much in BBall

Looking4number8
02-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Bwd beat them last night by 49 with two starters out with injury. Lots of kids got playing time the entire 2nd half.

Sweetwater has the athletes, why do you struggle so much in Basketball?

eagles_victory
02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
A lot of it is culture and some schools just don't put a lot of prority on basketball. Mexia in the early to mid 90's use to field their basketball team by going into their offseason for football and asking who wants to play tonight. They got a few kids in who really cared about basketball and went on to win 2 state championships maybe Sweetwater just doesnt put much emphasis on it either if you don't put emphasis on a program its hard to be any good at it.

Trashman
02-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Cause the guys in the striped shirts take a dim view of "3 yards and a cloud of dust" on the basketball court.:devil:

Emerson1
02-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Same reason they struggle in football

Sweetwater Red
02-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Bwd beat them last night by 49 with two starters out with injury. Lots of kids got playing time the entire 2nd half.

Our basketball team hasn't been good since a Carrillo was starting
at point guard. :(

Stangs325
02-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

i wonder the same thing..i left at half time last night and they only had i think 18 points and Birdwell had probably 14 or 16 of the 18 at that time. they have good atheltes they just dont click like they do in football or at least thats my opinion

SWMustang
02-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Same reason they struggle in football

Going to the playoffs every year is struggling? :mad:
It was always a second tier sport compared to football with an assistant football coach as the head basketball coach. Job security was not tied to success on the basketball court. I really don't think the community cares about basketball that much.

swstangs001
02-14-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm not going to lie......sweetwater used to be strong in basketball...now, its all politics and coaching, that is what is wrong with that program, i went from starting every single year that i ever played basketball and even getting moved up to varsity for tournaments and playoffs my freshmen year to being a 3rd stringer my sophmore year, its all politics in sweetwater and terrible coaching

Stangs325
02-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001
I'm not going to lie......sweetwater used to be strong in basketball...now, its all politics and coaching, that is what is wrong with that program, i went from starting every single year that i ever played basketball and even getting moved up to varsity for tournaments and playoffs my freshmen year to being a 3rd stringer my sophmore year, its all politics in sweetwater and terrible coaching

as bad as that is i have to completley agree..and the few good coaches they get they get rid of

thelegend02
02-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Actually they haven't been good in Basketball since the 96-97 season when they made it to the State tourney. They got beat by the eventual state champs in the first game. Quite possibly the best team that has ever played in Sweetwater.... Robert Reed and Derick Franklin need I say more???

wildstangs
02-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by thelegend02
Actually they haven't been good in Basketball since the 96-97 season when they made it to the State tourney. They got beat by the eventual state champs in the first game. Quite possibly the best team that has ever played in Sweetwater.... Robert Reed and Derick Franklin need I say more???

Sweetwater had a couple of other runs in the last decade. I remember one year we won a district tie breaker with Clyde to earn the third place spot, got hot and ended up beating Merkel (our district champion) in the playoffs. Mustangs then went on to the regional tourney in Lubbock and were damn close to winning the first game there.

Robert Reed and Derrick Franklin - wow, that was a dang good team. Who was the champion that year that beat Sweetwater, Polytechnic?

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Sweetwater had a couple of other runs in the last decade. I remember one year we won a district tie breaker with Clyde to earn the third place spot, got hot and ended up beating Merkel (our district champion) in the playoffs. Mustangs then went on to the regional tourney in Lubbock and were damn close to winning the first game there.

Robert Reed and Derrick Franklin - wow, that was a dang good team. Who was the champion that year that beat Sweetwater, Polytechnic?

San Antonio Fox Tech if I remember right

Stownhorse
02-15-2009, 02:33 AM
When my cousin played, I cant remember exactly when, in the 1999-2002 area, they had good teams year in and year out.

The one coach I wish would have stayed was Coach Heiss. I loved playing for him.

Electus Unus
02-15-2009, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
No passing game. They run the ball too much. ROFLMAO!!! LOCK THREAD!

Johnny Utah
02-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Having great athletes compared to great basketball players is usually a difference maker. Sweetwater is in a very very tough district. Abilene Wylie might be the best all around program in the State in 3a. Brownwood dropping to 3a is very solid as is Graham(basketball players all over the place). Snyder is very well coached. Tough all the way around.

STANG RED
02-15-2009, 04:58 PM
We have had many good basketball teams down through the years, and when we have had them the cummunity came out in force and supported them. But first and foremost it takes good coaching by a real basketball coach, and time to build the program. Obviously we dont have the right recipe in place now, and havent for some time. Maybe the new HC/AD will put more emphasis on it, and at least get it back to respectability.
Much the same can be said for our baseball program at present.

Johnny Utah
02-15-2009, 07:11 PM
You are correct STang. The AD and those powers at be have got to want the "other" sports to be successful, or they wont!

stangGirl2007
02-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I say...WHO CARES? It's just basketball, not the greatest sport ever.

mustang04
02-17-2009, 12:38 AM
its all politics in sweetwater and terrible coaching

ding ding ding we have a winner

JR2004
02-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
We have had many good basketball teams down through the years, and when we have had them the cummunity came out in force and supported them. But first and foremost it takes good coaching by a real basketball coach, and time to build the program. Obviously we dont have the right recipe in place now, and havent for some time. Maybe the new HC/AD will put more emphasis on it, and at least get it back to respectability.
Much the same can be said for our baseball program at present.

That's right. If you have an AD who cares only about his team's sport the rest of the athletic program will suffer. Hopefully whichever of the two coaches is hired at Sweetwater will realize that the kids there play more sports than just football and track.

Stownhorse
02-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
ding ding ding we have a winner

ESPECIALLY with the current coach.

Black_Magic
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
It also has to do with what kind of feeder program your district has. I know Snyder has a little dribblers program for its youth basket ball for both girls and boys from the age of 8 up to 12. I dont know about sweetwater. I know Abilene does. I suspect Bwood does.. A feeder program helps .

Johnny Utah
02-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Sweetwater has been to the STate Tourney in boys hoops, girls were or are good, why would they not have a lil dribblers program?

ccmom
02-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
It also has to do with what kind of feeder program your district has. I know Snyder has a little dribblers program for its youth basket ball for both girls and boys from the age of 8 up to 12. I dont know about sweetwater. I know Abilene does. I suspect Bwood does.. A feeder program helps .

I know Brownwood does because they put on quite a little show at half time a couple of weeks ago. :)

BEAST
02-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
I know Brownwood does because they put on quite a little show at half time a couple of weeks ago. :)

That was pretty neat wasnt it. Those little kids could flat out handle a ball.

BEAST

Johnny Utah
02-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Pips or Little Dribblers? There is a difference. Most, if not all, places have 1 of the 2 in place. Sweetwater surely does.

wtfootball
02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
because real men focus on football
GOBIGRED

swstangs001
02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
That was pretty neat wasnt it. Those little kids could flat out handle a ball.

BEAST

they dont have anything on sweetwaters jump rope team

WTF-82
02-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by thelegend02

What happened to Robert Reed after High school can you let us know if he did anything with basketball

Looking4number8
02-18-2009, 07:50 AM

When my daughter was in 5th and 6th grade the Elementary school she went to here had a jump rope team. It was amazing what those kids could do with a rope (or two).
They performed at half times, church events, community events... all kind of places.

I can only assume the teacher they had teaching the program moved away (maybe to Sweetwater for your program). It was a great program and my daughter benefited greatly from it. We need to find a way to get it in all schools.

RedWhiteBlue
02-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Well---- there you go!!! :rolleyes: The demise of the ENTIRE basketball program is because of the focus on 'jumping rope' instead of hardcore basketball fundamentals....:eek:
I knew it would come out sooner or later.:doh:
Actually, I grew up in that area- granted it was a while ago and Sweetwater was always very competitive (boys and girls). However, it is traditionally, considered a 'football' emphasized program as are a great deal of 3A schools.
I am experiencing now as a parent what happens when you have a talented group of kids and they get handed to a person who is hired to lead them and that person basically has no clue what is going on. That may be the case at Sweetwater, or they may just be in a 'funk' or they may just be more worried about their jump rope practice. I'm not sure.....:confused: