PDA

View Full Version : Big 2a basketball game tonight

mwynn05
02-13-2009, 01:22 PM
TABC #2 and Texas Hoops #1 Ponder
hosts TABC #4 and Texas Hoops #5 Krum
at 5:15 31-1 ponder looks to avenge their only loss and even the district race.

kepdawg
02-13-2009, 01:23 PM
How early do I need to get there if I should decided to come?

mwynn05
02-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
How early do I need to get there if I should decided to come? probably pretty early the gym isn't very big, JV game is at 4 i would say get there by 430 or 445 because the parking kind of sucks

kepdawg
02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
All right. I may head out there and then catch the Krum/Aubrey girls game on my way home.

mwynn05
02-13-2009, 01:49 PM
All right. I may head out there and then catch the Krum/Aubrey girls game on my way home. yeah its not til 8 if you go to that girls game let me know i might go then

mwynn05
02-13-2009, 02:39 PM
actually i prolly wont go not to a girls game lol

kepdawg
02-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
actually i prolly wont go not to a girls game lol

Haha! All right. Hopefully they'll both be good games.

Kickin It
02-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Would you guys mind posting the score later on this evening? Sounds like it is gonna be a great game and atmosphere!! Watched Ponder last year at the State Tourn, excellent all around team and well coached.

mwynn05
02-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Ponder 71 Krum 52...Ponder pretty much controlled the entire game

kepdawg
02-14-2009, 12:45 PM
That was a pretty boring beat down!

mwynn05
02-14-2009, 07:13 PM
That was a pretty boring beat down! I could have told you it wasn't going to be close i just didn't wanna really say it in public like that

mwynn05
02-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Denton RC write up
Comments 3 | Recommend 0
Boys basketball: Roaring back

Ponder gets revenge on Bobcats

12:20 AM CST on Saturday, February 14, 2009

By Todd Jorgenson / Sports Editor

PONDER -- Round 2 of Boxell versus Boxell goes to Dad.

Ponder scored a decisive 71-52 win over Krum on Friday to pull even atop the District 10-2A standings. The Lions handed the Bobcats their first district loss, avenging a 63-61 defeat in the earlier meeting between the two teams on Jan. 20.
Denton Record-Chronicle/Gary Payne
Denton Record-Chronicle/Gary Payne
Ponder’s David Robertson, left, drives past Krum’s Justin Wallace for a layup on Friday at Ponder. Robertson finished with 20 points as the Lions won, 71-52.
View larger More photos Photo store

That game ended a 51-game winning streak for the Lions, and it remains their only defeat this season. It also gave Krum head coach Lance Boxell a win over his father, Ponder head coach Doug Boxell, in their first game on opposite sidelines.

Friday’s meeting didn’t have quite the same drama, as Ponder opened up a 19-point lead midway through the second quarter and never relinquished the advantage.

However, if Ponder had a little extra motivation for Friday, Krum could have the same if the two teams, as expected, meet for a third time next week to determine who gets the district’s top seed in the playoffs.

The Lions (32-1, 12-1) surged to a big lead Friday behind the hot shooting of David Robertson, who hit three 3-pointers during a 21-2 run that gave Ponder a 29-10 lead with 5:32 left in the first half.

“He [Robertson] was big in the first half,” Doug Boxell said. “He’s a good shooter, so we knew he could do that.”

While Robertson’s perimeter play helped the Lions establish their lead, it was the size of post men Scott Gregg and Dylan Ballard that helped preserve it.

Demonstrating crisp ball movement and patient shot selection, Ponder pounded the ball inside in the second half, converting on easy shots and getting the Bobcats into foul trouble.

“We had to use our size a little bit,” Doug Boxell said. “We felt like we had an advantage there if we use it. The first time we played them, Krum took that away from us. Sometimes you have to be patient enough to get what you want.”

Gregg led the Lions with 24 points and seven rebounds, while Ballard added 12 points and six boards in the paint. Robertson finished with 20 points and Isaiah Boxell contributed 10 points and eight assists.

Krum’s top two scorers -- Klay Dodd and Justin Wallace -- each had four fouls by the end of the third quarter and later fouled out.

Dodd posted a team-high 17 points and Wallace added 13. Reserve forward Ryan Andrew, who finished with eight points and eight rebounds, also fouled out for the Bobcats.

Robertson connected on consecutive shots from behind the arc to help the Lions open up a 14-8 advantage, then hit again at the first-quarter horn to make the score 19-8.

The Bobcats (27-5, 12-1), meanwhile, went just 2-of-13 from the field in the first quarter.

“They had several threes, but they were open looks. We weren’t doing a good job defending shots. They just kept going in, and the lead expanded pretty quick,” Lance Boxell said. “I thought we fought back, but once you put yourself in that hole, it’s tough to climb out of it.”

Krum responded with a 14-3 spurt that trimmed the deficit to 32-24 just before halftime, hitting five straight shots in the process.

Dodd opened the second half with a 3-pointer that cut Ponder’s lead to 34-27, but the Bobcats could not get any closer.

Ponder later pulled away as the Krum bench got thinner, extending the advantage to as many as 21 points in the fourth quarter.

Lance Boxell said the Bobcats will try to focus on their postseason goals and put Friday’s loss, which snapped a 14-game winning streak, behind them quickly.

“We have to,” he said. “There’s a good chance that we’ll both end up with one loss and we’ll turn around and play them in a week.”

TODD JORGENSON can be reached at 940-566-6871. His e-mail address is tjorgenson@dentonrc.com.

Ponder 71, Krum 52

Krum 8 16 16 12 -- 52

Ponder 19 15 16 21 -- 71

Krum (27-5, 12-1) – Ryan Andrew 8, Kellin Harris 11, Justin Wallace 13, Victor Cristales 1, Klay Dodd 17, Jamie Stevens 2.

Ponder (32-1, 12-1) – Isaiah Boxell 10, David Robertson 20, Jesus Lujan 5, Scott Gregg 24, Dylan Ballard 12.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/highschools/stories/DRC_PonderKrumBoysBasketball_0214.13b7420a.html