PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network kicks DirecTv's butt!

kaorder1999
02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I have had DirecTv for the last 4 years and today I got online and subscribed to Dish Network. I was able to get more channels, was able to get DVR service for two rooms (didnt have DVR with DirecTv) Was able to get service in my bedroom (I only had it for living room with DirecTv) and all for about $15 a month cheaper!

PPHSfan
02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I get fantastic HD with an antenna now that the new digital programs are being broadcast for free.

SintonFan
02-13-2009, 01:26 PM
I likes me my U-verse. It's chock full of fun stuff and I'm saving about 100 bucks a month by just switching from Crime Warner.
230 channels, 4 mbs internet and unlimited calls all for $112 a month.
I'm a cheap bastard...:nerd:

PPHSfan
02-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I likes me my U-verse. It's chock full of fun stuff and I'm saving about 100 bucks a month by just switching from Crime Warner.
230 channels, 4 mbs internet and unlimited calls all for $112 a month.
I'm a cheap bastard...:nerd:

I have been wanting U-Verse for over a year. But my house is too far out in the Rich White Suburbs to get it.:D

SintonFan
02-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I have been wanting U-Verse for over a year. But my house is too far out in the Rich White Suburbs to get it.:D
Bellaire?:eek:
U-verse has worked out the problems they had when they first rolled out the service. If it becomes available, give it a try. There are some downsides to it though.

PPHSfan
02-13-2009, 01:32 PM
U-verse has worked out the problems they had when they first rolled out the service. If it becomes available, give it a try. There are some downsides to it though.

I check on it every week. Getting ready to just pay them to run the fiber optic directly to my house.

pirate4state
02-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I have had DirecTv for the last 4 years and today I got online and subscribed to Dish Network. I was able to get more channels, was able to get DVR service for two rooms (didnt have DVR with DirecTv) Was able to get service in my bedroom (I only had it for living room with DirecTv) and all for about $15 a month cheaper!

That's pretty funny. I had Dish forever then switched to DirecTv and love it! I just upgraded to get a HD/DVR and only had to pay $110 for it! I went in prepared to pay $300+ for this thing because some of my other friends had to, but they were having some kind of promotion and my monthly bill will only go up $10 bucks. :)

My cousin switched from DirecTv to Dish sometime last week and I asked how it was going and he said, "please, let's not talk about it" :D I don't think he's too happy with the switch. LOL

Phantom Stang
02-13-2009, 01:34 PM
What downsides?:thinking:

SintonFan
02-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
What downsides?:thinking:
While you can record 4 shows at the same time(if one of the shows your watching is being recorded) there are limitations. I think only 1 HD show can be recorded at once. Essentially there are four tuners, so if you have three TVs hooked up and different shows are played on each, then that leaves only one tuner to record. If one of the TVs is playing HD, your SOL trying to record a HD show.
Only the main TV where DVR is located can pause live TV. The other TVs can't.
It's not perfect but I think the savings in money and the other features make up for this.

kaorder1999
02-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Ok...here is the comparison of what I had to what Im now getting...

DIRECTV
Total Choice Package (Not their biggest package)
HD Access
1 receiver for living room
NO DVR

60.99 PLUS TAX per month

DISH NETWORK
Middle package WITH HD Access (pretty much same package as Direct)
MORE HD CHANNELS
2 receivers
Multi Room DVR

45.00 PLUS TAX per month
25.99 PLUS TAX a month for the first 6 months

So...for roughly $16 a month cheaper....I am getting an additional receiver plus DVR for two rooms. No set up fee. No charge for equipment.

PPHSfan
02-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I remember when I thought it was cool that Hawaii 5 0 was in Technicolor.

SintonFan
02-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I've seen ads that Dish is offering their service starting at $9.95 a month. They look to be the cheapest. They need to be because they are hurting without AT&T supporting them.
The downside is their DVRs and receivers tend to unreliable.

kaorder1999
02-13-2009, 01:52 PM
You are correct. Actually...the service I am getting now through Dish Network is only 22.99 for the first 6 months!

pirate4state
02-13-2009, 02:00 PM
So, the 45.99 will be your monthly payment after your 6 month trial period is up? Not bad, but storm season is upon you. Better go out and stock up on some DVDs! :D

roughneck_2008
02-13-2009, 02:01 PM
that and with the dishes when a thunderstorm comes around dont plan on watching tv, you can watch your recordings but nothing live

kaorder1999
02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
So, the 45.99 will be your monthly payment after your 6 month trial period is up? Not bad, but storm season is upon you. Better go out and stock up on some DVDs! :D

correct...thats the price AFTER the 6 month deal.

pancho villa
02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That's pretty funny. I had Dish forever then switched to DirecTv and love it! I just upgraded to get a HD/DVR and only had to pay $110 for it! I went in prepared to pay $300+ for this thing because some of my other friends had to, but they were having some kind of promotion and my monthly bill will only go up $10 bucks. :)

My cousin switched from DirecTv to Dish sometime last week and I asked how it was going and he said, "please, let's not talk about it" :D I don't think he's too happy with the switch. LOL

With Dish I got a DVR for $99 and got $100 back from Dish on my bill. Also with dish you can create your own channel guide.

pirate4state
02-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm happy for you Pancho and you too KAO.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM
You are correct. Actually...the service I am getting now through Dish Network is only 22.99 for the first 6 months! :mad: i had to subsribe for a two year deal and the silver package to get nfl network since time warner dont carry it. Dish network just went up for that package 9 more dollers! I have Dish Network that went dont use and Time Warner Cable.:(

kaorder1999
02-13-2009, 03:17 PM
thats why I got the silver...so I coul dhave NFL Network!

SintonFan_inAustin
02-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I've seen ads that Dish is offering their service starting at $9.95 a month. They look to be the cheapest. They need to be because they are hurting without AT&T supporting them.
The downside is their DVRs and receivers tend to unreliable. i signup with silver package for nfl network at $42.99 in december and just got this months bill saying it went up to $51.99 for something i dont use til football starts!

kaorder1999
02-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
i signup with silver package for nfl network at $42.99 in december and just got this months bill saying it went up to $51.99 for something i dont use til football starts!
thats crazy!

pirate4state
02-13-2009, 03:47 PM
man, i'm not even gonna tell yall what my cable bill is :D

crzyjournalist03
02-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I signed up with Fios last month.

I now get their Xtreme HD package with 355 channels (Although I believe they count HD and SD as two...I still have probably have about 200 real channels). They also upgraded me to the higher internet plan, which is 20Mbps.

The two combine on one check for $80/month!

icu812
02-13-2009, 04:46 PM
[B]Ok...here is the comparison of what I had to what Im now getting...

DIRECTV
Total Choice Package (Not their biggest package)
HD Access
1 receiver for living room
NO DVR

60.99 PLUS TAX per monthB]

I've got DirectTV with:
Total Choice
HD Access
4 recievers
2 DVR's
NFL Sunday Ticket

You don't even want to know how much a month :mad: but I've had Dish and don't like it near as much.

Trashman
02-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by icu812
I've got DirectTV with:
Total Choice
HD Access
4 recievers
2 DVR's
NFL Sunday Ticket

You don't even want to know how much a month :mad: but I've had Dish and don't like it near as much.

I have had Direct TV and Dish and I like the dish much more than direct. With direct there was always some reason to have to call customer support and to to talk so some rude yankee. With dish i rarely have to call customer support but when i do, somebody from one of the "stans" takes my call and I spend the next 30 minutes trying to figure out what language they were speaking. LOL

eagles_victory
02-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Having had both I like directv way better than dish but just a preference.

kaorder1999
02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Perfect timing....I call yesterday to check on cancelling DirecTv cause their prices have gotten too high and then today I get an email from DirecTv telling me prices are about to go up again!

DirecTv prices to go up March 9, 2009 (http://www.directv.com/email/29936-0_PriceIncreaseBKSL_S2.pdf?CMP=EMC-MQ-CS&ATT=120-B3-V1-090214final&m=)

SintonFan
02-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I really liked the 30 second forward and 7-8 second reverse buttons with Dish. If you get good at those then the whole Dish thing is pretty fun.:nerd:

PHS Wildcats
02-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I signed up with Fios last month.

I now get their Xtreme HD package with 355 channels (Although I believe they count HD and SD as two...I still have probably have about 200 real channels). They also upgraded me to the higher internet plan, which is 20Mbps.

The two combine on one check for $80/month!

Please, tell me what plan you have. I have directv, but my girlfriend has Verizon Fios and I'm paying about $165/month. That's including the HBOs, Showtimes etc. and Inetrnet? Does your price include the movie channels? And when I call, what package should I ask for. This price is killing me.

BwdLion73
02-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I started out with Direct TV but switched to Dish a few years ago to get local channels.
If you live in the sticks you can't beat it...until the storms of spring approach. Last year I was up at two am as a bad cloud approached...the local weatherperson said "we have a report of a tornado sighted near Lake Bro.........." and that was it for about an hour. :p
I've often thought of moving my internet service to sat. also so I could be totally cut off from the world!
I also like the computer antimated voice that greets you when you call for a problem or to check your billing. It always starts out with "I see your one of our most important customers"...that makes the service worthwhile.
Sometimes late at night when the night is still and the lions have just lost another close game after scoreing 40 some odd points, I call the number just to hear how important I am.

piratebg
02-21-2009, 10:25 AM
I had Direct TV for about 3 years and had no problems. The picture was so much better than cable. I previously had Charter Cable. In the time I had DTV, I only lost my signal about 3-4 times due to severe lightning, and I do mean severe. Their customer service was great and I had no real beef with them. My contract had expired after 2 years but I kept them a little longer until Dish Network offered a cheaper deal. I switched to Dish and saved about $5-$10 on my bill for about 6 months and then I was pretty much paying the same. The only difference was I had upgraded to a DVR receiver. My DTV receivers had been standard. My only complaint about Dish was lost their signal during most rainy days. The receiver they gave me also crapped out about 3 months in. I also did not like their website because it did not allow to make changes to your services(like adding/subtracting premium channels or other services). Their customer service was fast and friendly, though. I switched back to DTV in August so that I could get the NFL Sunday Ticket. IMO, it's all a matter of preference. I really could not say which one to recommend, unless you are willing to say I referred you to Direct TV so I can get a free month of service. ;)

Oh and if you have one are thinking about switching to the other, negotiate with you current carrier and tell the of your intentions to switch to the competition. They will start throwing all kinds of free stuff at you like free premiums, free upgrades and other goodies. I've had so much fun this way. :D

griff
02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
To me, DirecTV is the choice ahead of Dish for one important reason...

...exclusive broadcast of MARCH MADNESS!!!