PDA

View Full Version : Success

LH Panther Mom
02-12-2009, 08:16 AM
What's the measuring stick you use to determine whether or not "your" team was successful?

WylieBulldog92
02-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
What's the measuring stick you use to determine whether or not "your" team was successful?
Wins against good teams, and how deep we get into the playoffs.

LH Panther Mom
02-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
how deep we get into the playoffs.
Is there a "set" number of rounds that determines it? (Just curious....)

OldBison75
02-12-2009, 08:39 AM
I think that calling a program a success is kinda a hard term to define. Alot depends on the expectations of the community and the school. In my book, a successful program would have to be competetive each week and show improvement each week. I don't think you can absolutely set a standard for the number of playoff games a team plays, but I think that reaching the playoffs can be coinsidered. I want my team to be able to win the games they should win and surprise a few teams that they should not beat. I want them to play hard every play and be disapointed when they lose, not fighting angry, but upset that they did not find a way to win. I also want my team to have as much recognition for players getting recognition in academic areas as they get for on field play. I want my kids to be better citizens that prove on the field that they can work as a team to accomplish goals and are willing to give up some personal accolades for the good of the team. Kinda like Dr. Spock from Star Trek used to say, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one."

Yes, every team would like state championships and deep playoff runs every year, but realistically, only a few teams can do that each year. Success should be a ture evaluation of what a team has the capability of doing and then having them exceed that expectation. As fans, a team winning 8 or nine games a year may not be good enough in Celina or LH, but for many schools, that is success.

I_DONT_CARE
02-12-2009, 08:55 AM
WE HAVE HAD THE TALENT A FEW TIMES TO WIN STATE, BUT NEVER HAVE, SO WE HAVE NEVER HAD SUCCESS, I AM ASHAMED TO SAY. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I_DONT_CARE
02-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
"You're only as good as your record says you are".-Bill Parcells
MAYBE SO. IF WE DIDN'T RUN THE SAME PLAYS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, IT COULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT. :rolleyes:

I_Do_Care
02-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
MAYBE SO. IF WE DIDN'T RUN THE SAME PLAYS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, IT COULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rocket Dad
02-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Different everywhere. My kids were in a school system for a few years that averaged 3 rounds deep for a five year period. Was it a successful football program ? Constant bickering, second guessing, suspensions, missed practiced, on and on negative things happening. That program is on the all-time playoff list on this website in several different categories. It reminded me of a car with a new paint job and shiny rims that has an engine that could blow at any minute. That school has turf field, huge new gym, indoor facility being built, excellent facilities. Is it a successful football program ?? Depends on your definition of success. Wins/losses - maximizing talent - team chemistry - teaching sound life lessons - what is your definition ?

LH Panther Mom
02-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
what is your definition ?
That's what I was asking. ;)

IHStangFan
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't view it in such a black and white nature that "if we don't go to the semis it was an unsuccessful year" I view it more in terms of LEVELS of success....

Many factors apply.....what kind of talent do we have? Who are we playing, how many good teams? How many of the "must win" games did we manage to win? Did we make the playoffs? Who did we meet in the playoffs?

For me....if we have a winning record at the end of the season it was somewhat of a success....if we win district and go to the playoffs...it was a more successful season....and w/ each round we advance ....more success.

PPHSfan
02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Filling the stands with fans that love to watch you play, win or lose. That's success.

BEAST
02-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Look at it this way, a few years back Brownwood had a team that went 9-5 and played in the 4A D1 Semis. The next year they went 11-1 played only 2 rounds. 2 years later we went 7 - 7 and played in 4A D2 Quarters. Which of these teams, if you were a player, would you had rather played for?

BEAST

PPHSfan
02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Look at it this way, a few years back Brownwood had a team that went 9-5 and played in the 4A D1 Semis. The next year they went 11-1 played only 2 rounds. 2 years later we went 7 - 7 and played in 4A D2 Quarters. Which of these teams, if you were a player, would you had rather played for?

BEAST

Whichever season had the best looking cheerleaders.

Emerson1
02-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Whichever season had the best looking cheerleaders.
Best looking water girls.

You never get to see the cheerleaders.

JR2004
02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Since we play more than one sport at Madison I'll just list them all and what would be considered success. The expectation levels for each sport vary.

Volleyball: Being competitive and hopefully challenging for a playoff berth.
Football: Go two or three rounds and it's been a good year. If they don't reach that mark it's not a big deal.
Girls Basketball: Making the playoffs
Boys Basketball: Making it to Austin and bringing home a State Championship to South Dallas.
Girls Soccer: Make it through the entire season with enough players.
Boys Soccer: Same goal.
Softball: Play competitive.
Baseball: Being competitive.
Girls Track: Winning the team title in Austin.
Boys Track: Winning the team title in Austin.
Girls Golf: Fielding a team is good enough for me.
Boys Golf: Same as girls golf and I hope that the boys and girls enjoy getting to play at Cedarcrest free of charge!
Girls Tennis: See golf.
Boys Tennis: Take a look at golf again.

Texasfootball2
02-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I think that calling a program a success is kinda a hard term to define. Alot depends on the expectations of the community and the school. In my book, a successful program would have to be competetive each week and show improvement each week. I don't think you can absolutely set a standard for the number of playoff games a team plays, but I think that reaching the playoffs can be coinsidered. I want my team to be able to win the games they should win and surprise a few teams that they should not beat. I want them to play hard every play and be disapointed when they lose, not fighting angry, but upset that they did not find a way to win. I also want my team to have as much recognition for players getting recognition in academic areas as they get for on field play. I want my kids to be better citizens that prove on the field that they can work as a team to accomplish goals and are willing to give up some personal accolades for the good of the team. Kinda like Dr. Spock from Star Trek used to say, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one."

Yes, every team would like state championships and deep playoff runs every year, but realistically, only a few teams can do that each year. Success should be a ture evaluation of what a team has the capability of doing and then having them exceed that expectation. As fans, a team winning 8 or nine games a year may not be good enough in Celina or LH, but for many schools, that is success. :ditto:

Very Well Said!:2thumbsup