PDA

View Full Version : NY Yankees Mt. Rushmore

big daddy russ
02-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Since we're doing baseball's Mt. Rushmores, let's make it interesting. Which players go on the NY Yankees' Mt. Rushmore?

Great topic, ev.

coach
02-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Since we're doing baseball's Mt. Rushmores, let's make it interesting. Which players go on the NY Yankees' Mt. Rushmore?

Great topic, ev.

mantle dimaggio yogi and babe

kepdawg
02-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by coach
mantle dimaggio yogi and babe

Replace Yogi with Gehrig for me.

DDBooger
02-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Derek Jeter? he seems to be the modern day MR. YANKEE

Reggie Jackson?

coach
02-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Replace Yogi with Gehrig for me.

i almost went with him but yogi won so much and was a great catcher

kepdawg
02-12-2009, 12:16 AM
i almost went with him but yogi won so much and was a great catcher

Yeah but it's not like Gehrig never won anything.

Electus Unus
02-12-2009, 12:21 AM
mantle, ruth, jeter, gehrig

IHStangFan
02-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Mantle, Maris, DiMaggio, Ruth.

coach
02-12-2009, 01:04 AM

yogi won more

coach
02-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Mantle, Maris, DiMaggio, Ruth.

maris only had 1 good year

big daddy russ
02-12-2009, 02:03 AM
First player in any sport to ever have his jersey retired and first baseballer granted early entry into the Hall of Fame. He entered the Hall back in 1939, the same year he retired. MLB waived any waiting period whatsoever for Gehrig.

He was also the first athlete to ever be featured on a Wheaties box, was the first baseball player to have an award named after him, and was the youngest player ever elected into the Hall of Fame until 1972, when Sandy Koufax made it in five months younger than Gehrig. To this day, Gehrig is the second-youngest player to have been elected to the Hall.

Although he's famous for his consecutive games streak in which he played through a number of fractures and other injuries, Gehrig also retired as the all-time leader in RBI (he still has 3 of the top 6 season totals in RBI) and was second in home runs, finishing just seven shy of 500. He is one of only two Yankees (Mantle being the other) to ever win the Triple Crown. Other accomplishments include being one of only 15 players to ever hit four home runs in a game and hiting for the cycle on two separate occasions.

He still holds the major league record for grand slams, most 120+ RBI seasons (with eight), most 150+ RBI seasons (with seven), most 400-total-base seasons.

In 1927, he became only the fourth player in MLB history to hit 40+ home runs in a season (Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, and Cy Williams), and only the second to to hit more than 42. In 1999, Gehrig was named to baseball's All-Century team as the top first basemen through the 20th century. He was also the top vote-getter, beating out Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron by 50k votes.

He is almost universally regarded as the best first baseman of all-time.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Gehrig.

big daddy russ
02-12-2009, 02:10 AM
yogi won more
You're right, but Gehrig's Yanks didn't do too bad themselves. His teams went 7-1 in World Series during Gehrig's time in the majors, sweeping five of those series. :D

Keith7
02-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Anyone from Texas who likes the Yankees should be shot.. Perhaps you should like the Patriots and the Lakers too

3afan
02-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Anyone from Texas who likes the Yankees should be shot.. Perhaps you should like the Patriots and the Lakers too

or the Eagles :D

GWOOD
02-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle

GWOOD
02-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
First player in any sport to ever have his jersey retired and first baseballer granted early entry into the Hall of Fame. He entered the Hall back in 1939, the same year he retired. MLB waived any waiting period whatsoever for Gehrig.

He was also the first athlete to ever be featured on a Wheaties box, was the first baseball player to have an award named after him, and was the youngest player ever elected into the Hall of Fame until 1972, when Sandy Koufax made it in five months younger than Gehrig. To this day, Gehrig is the second-youngest player to have been elected to the Hall.

Although he's famous for his consecutive games streak in which he played through a number of fractures and other injuries, Gehrig also retired as the all-time leader in RBI (he still has 3 of the top 6 season totals in RBI) and was second in home runs, finishing just seven shy of 500. He is one of only two Yankees (Mantle being the other) to ever win the Triple Crown. Other accomplishments include being one of only 15 players to ever hit four home runs in a game and hiting for the cycle on two separate occasions.

He still holds the major league record for grand slams, most 120+ RBI seasons (with eight), most 150+ RBI seasons (with seven), most 400-total-base seasons.

In 1927, he became only the fourth player in MLB history to hit 40+ home runs in a season (Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, and Cy Williams), and only the second to to hit more than 42. In 1999, Gehrig was named to baseball's All-Century team as the top first basemen through the 20th century. He was also the top vote-getter, beating out Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron by 50k votes.

He is almost universally regarded as the best first baseman of all-time.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Gehrig.

Classy Guy
http://www.resizeyourimage.com/upload/result/lou.gehrig.jpg

I. B. Watching
02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Interesting in that no throwers have been listed yet. Whitey Ford wasn't too bad. But I guess with all the great hitters the Yankees have had, the chunkers for the old Yankees were kind of like background music