PDA

View Full Version : What's the diff between an 3A OC/DC and a 5A OC/DC???

ratherbfishin
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Thought I'd ask the PROS in hear...

When a HC job opens up, why do most Idiots...oh my bad...SUPERintendents... pick 4A/5A coordinators over 3A/2A coordinators or even 3A/2A head coaches...???

Do they play a different kind of football? Are there different rules? Are they different kids? I don't get it...maybe I've been out of the loop too long...

Case in point if Giddings, Bellville, La Grange coach leaves thier respective school, why would they not hire from within given their success in recent years??? Well, La Grange had very little, but they have had tradition and I would think that place would be a great place to coach and raise a family...

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

pancho villa
02-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Cause 5A and 4A coaches are better than small school coaches.

kaorder1999
02-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by ratherbfishin
Thought I'd ask the PROS in hear...

When a HC job opens up, why do most Idiots...oh my bad...SUPERintendents... pick 4A/5A coordinators over 3A/2A coordinators or even 3A/2A head coaches...???

Do they play a different kind of football? Are there different rules? Are they different kids? I don't get it...maybe I've been out of the loop too long...

Case in point if Giddings, Bellville, La Grange coach leaves thier respective school, why would they not hire from within given their success in recent years??? Well, La Grange had very little, but they have had tradition and I would think that place would be a great place to coach and raise a family...

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Ill give somewhat of an opinion on this. My opinion is that if the school has been successful and has someone on the staff that is 1) qualified enough to take over the program and 2) a right fit for that schools athletic program as head coach and AD, then that is what they should do...hire from within. That does not mean that every staff that has success has someone on that staff that is the right fit for that school's athletic program. That make any sense at all?

As to why they put stipulations on applying..."must have 4A-5A coord. experience" i really dont know. There are plenty of 3A coordinators and even 2A coords that are just as qualified as the 4A-5A coords.

DDBooger
Originally posted by pancho villa
Cause 5A and 4A coaches are better than small school coaches. This is gonna cause a problem I bet...:1popcorn:

ratherbfishin
Cause 5A and 4A coaches are better than small school coaches.

OHHHHHHHHH....so that's why Todd Didge got his crap kicked in, in 3A Cameron.......

I get it.......:stirpot: Panch!!! :D

STANG RED
02-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Thay are no better or worse in general just because of being at a 4A or 5A. They just usually have more talent to choose from. In fact I'm not sure lots of 5A coaches wouldnt struggle at a 3A at least for a while, till they adjust to not having quiet as much talent to choose from most times.

ratherbfishin
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
OHHHHHHHHH....so that's why Todd Didge got his crap kicked in, in 3A Cameron.......

I get it.......:stirpot: Panch!!! :D

My bad...it was Todd Dodge...It's happening to him again at N. Tx.

bps093
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
honestly, a coordinator at a smaller school is usually going to have more experience in other sports in that they probably have to coach more sports than a 4 or 5a coordinator. This would give them a broader view of the total overall athletic program, and IMO, may prepare them better for the duties of an AD. I don't think the size of the previous schools that a person works at is any indicator of how good of a coach one is.

kaorder1999
02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by bps093
honestly, a coordinator at a smaller school is usually going to have more experience in other sports in that they probably have to coach more sports than a 4 or 5a coordinator. This would give them a broader view of the total overall athletic program, and IMO, may prepare them better for the duties of an AD. I don't think the size of the previous schools that a person works at is any indicator of how good of a coach one is.

hard to say that because most of, if not all 4A and 5A coords at some point have had to coach a lot of other sports to get to where they are today. Know what I mean?

bps093
02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
hard to say that because most of, if not all 4A and 5A coords at some point have had to coach a lot of other sports to get to where they are today. Know what I mean?
I know what you are saying and many of the coordinators that I know do have some other coaching experiences, but on the whole do not have as much and as much variety as those from smaller schools.

ratherbfishin
02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by bps093

:thinking: So now we're talking AD and total program and not winning football championships???

The Head Football Coach/AD(maybe) isn't gonna win you any volleyball or soccer games...

Plus his butt is fired for not winning FOOTBALL games...

I understand you all but no one has given an answer to the question yet...

Except Pancho...lol

Rabid Cougar
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
2A Clifton hired an OC from a 3A over a DC from a 5A.

Trashman
02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
What's the diff between an 3A OC/DC and a 5A OC/DC???:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

About 30,000 dollars per year.:D

Additup
02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
2A Clifton hired an OC from a 3A over a DC from a 5A.
Inside connections, though...Legacy takes precedence over the A's.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Trashman

haha you beat me, that was going to be my response.

SintonFan
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree with both STANG RED and Ernest T Bass, might I add:
First, coaches from bigger schools have to evaluate from a much larger talent pool and while they might not be better(the coaches), have become somewhat proficient at it.
Coaches from larger schools are better at the politics of coaching... all the intangibles and school-board/Superintendent speak(hiring process) needed to land a HC position.
Coaches who come from a more diversified talent base have an upper hand in HC choices because of their experience.
I have talked to my son's coach, at a 5A middle school(been there for 20 years), several times and it IS different from smaller schools imho.

bobcat4life
02-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I think its because the bigger schools get more notariety.
Also, with the exception of Euless Trinity, you need to be multi-dimensionable. It is much easier to be a one dimesional team and be sucessful at the lower levels.

Looking4number8
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Trashman

Dang brother, we think alike. That is what I was gonna say!

I_DONT_CARE
02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
THE NUMBER OF A'S.

pancho villa
02-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Coaches at 4A an 5A schools have a much better knowledge of football, and understanding of the game. The coaches at podunk 3A-1A schools are just glad to have a job, because if they could pull their weight they would be coaching at a big school!

waterboy
02-12-2009, 10:17 AM
What's the diff between an 3A OC/DC and a 5A OC/DC???

:thinking: 2 "A"s?:D ............and a whole lotta money!:D

RedWhiteBlue
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
What's the diff between an 3A OC/DC and a 5A OC/DC???

:thinking: 2 "A"s?:D ............and a whole lotta money!:D
Exactly what I thought 2 days ago when this was first posted.... plus- usually some more work.....:D

RedWhiteBlue
02-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Not more work, just different work. In 5a, the football is pretty advanced, so you're spending ungodly hours on just football stuff. In the lower classes, you're mowing and painting the field, doing laundry, painting fieldhouses, probably coaching both sides of the ball, teaching a full load of classes, etc....
Different opinions......:thinking:

RedWhiteBlue
02-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Speak from experience.
I do.....:doh:

GreenMonster
02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
My view on this is that I think many times when there are stipulations requiring previous Hd Coach/ AD or 4A / 5A coordinator to apply is that the district is trying to shorten the hiring process somewhat. The guys with those requested prerequisites have already paid their dues in the eyes of administrators. In their eyes it's like climbing the career ladder. It is perceived to be more difficult to get a 4A /5A coordinator position than a 1A-3A coordinator. In my personal opinion it still boils down to who you know and being in the right place at the right time to get any job that you want. The what you know is important as well, but you can be the world's foremost expert on the pistol offense and still not get a job at school that runs the pistol offense because the AD Head Coach has never heard of you or he has a different point of view of how to run the offense or maybe you just don't interview well. There are a lot of intangibles involved in getting a job. But to really answer the question as to why Supers apply these restrictions, in my opinion, is simply to narrow down the field of applicants without ever having to evaluate any of the resumes. Also, just because they publicly announce the restrictions doesn't mean that they do not invite a select few others to apply or even to interview without having ever applied. It's my understanding that the rules only state that the job must be posted for X amount of days before anyone can be officially hired if that someone hired is from outside the district. They never even have to post the job opening if they choose to hire from within and there are no rules that say you must apply in advance in order to be hired by the district.

STANG RED
02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Coaches at 4A an 5A schools have a much better knowledge of football, and understanding of the game. The coaches at podunk 3A-1A schools are just glad to have a job, because if they could pull their weight they would be coaching at a big school!

Dang it's only February Pancho, and your already trying for dumbest post of the year. C'mon man you have 10 more months to go. A little early for going all in already aint it?