PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers Mt Rushmore

eagles_victory
02-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Who would you have on yours?

Some possibilties: Alex Rodriguez, Pudge, Palmerio, Juan Gonzalez, Nolan Ryan, Walker, Julio Franco, Im still thinking about my 4

Electus Unus
02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
just put Nolan Ryan.

Maroon87
02-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Who would you have on yours?

Some possibilties: Alex Rodriguez, Pudge, Palmerio, Juan Gonzalez, Nolan Ryan, Walker, Julio Franco, Im still thinking about my 4

With some of those picks you might wanna call it Mt Roidmore...:thinking:

DDBooger
02-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
just put Nolan Ryan. with Robin Ventura in a headlock

kepdawg
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
The Rangers have never won a World Series, so are they eligible for a Mt Rushmore? ;)

crzyjournalist03
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Nolan Ryan, Michael Young, Johnny Oates, Ivan Rodriguez

big daddy russ
02-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Ted Williams managed them for a bit back when they were in Washington. Can we use him?

Jeff Burroughs, A-Rod, Pudge and Juan Gone have League MVP Awards during their time with the Rangers.

Here's my Rangers' Rushmore.

http://images.salon.com/news/sports/col/barra/2000/12/20/rodriguez/story.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eKT4CVfAE7cD/340x.jpg

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAEZ025~Rafael-Palmeiro-Studio-Portrait-Photofile-Posters.jpg

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/50/507430.jpg

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2505925/2/istockphoto_2505925_vintage_syringe.jpg

STANG RED
02-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I dont know if he really deserves the honor or not, but when I was a teen my fav Ranger was Buddy Bell. I thought he was a great third baseman, and loved the passion he played with.

turbostud
02-11-2009, 02:21 PM
http://images.wikia.com/openserving/sports/images/6/6c/JoseCanseco.jpg

Keith7
02-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Jim Sundberg, Nolan Ryan, Tom Grieve, Michael Young

coach
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Jim Sundberg, Nolan Ryan, Tom Grieve, Michael Young

the dr of defense mark maclemore, rusty greer, will clark, jonny oates, tom grieve, mark holtz,

crzyjournalist03
02-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont know if he really deserves the honor or not, but when I was a teen my fav Ranger was Buddy Bell. I thought he was a great third baseman, and loved the passion he played with.

Definitely worthwhile of consideration. I actually debated between him and Oates and took Oates because his number has been retired.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I always liked Will Clark.

crzyjournalist03
02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Ted Williams managed them for a bit back when they were in Washington. Can we use him?

Jeff Burroughs, A-Rod, Pudge and Juan Gone have League MVP Awards during their time with the Rangers.

Here's my Rangers' Rushmore.

http://images.salon.com/news/sports/col/barra/2000/12/20/rodriguez/story.jpg

I can't tell if you're being serious or fecitious since the syringe is at the end, but does three years of A-Rod really make him one of the top four Rangers of all-time?

big daddy russ
02-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I can't tell if you're being serious or fecitious since the syringe is at the end, but does three years of A-Rod really make him one of the top four Rangers of all-time?
It was a dig at those four. But in all honestly, A-Rod and his three years in Arlington deserve some mention. The Rangers as a franchise don't really have a ton of history behind them. Their marquee players have been:

1-Nolan Ryan
2-Juan Gonzalez
3-Pudge
4-Raffy Palmeiro
5-A-Rod
6-Jeff Burroughs

That's about it. I know they had brief runs with Goose Gossage and Fergie Jenkins and got some good years out of Jeff Kerns, Ruben Sierra, Buddy Bell, Julio Franco, and a few others, but the guys on the list are the only Rangers who really did anything that the league took notice of.

Honestly, Josh Hamilton may turn out to be the best Ranger ever, and Michael Young could be on this list within a couple of years. Texas has been down and out for way too long. They need something to write about.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
02-11-2009, 04:36 PM
The only 2 that deserve to be on there are Nolan and Pudge.

I. B. Watching
02-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Joe Lovito, Ted Ford, Mike Paul and Bill Gogoleski. I may be the only one who remembers that crew Lol

Txbroadcaster
02-11-2009, 05:30 PM
I am not so sure Nolan is an automatic..I mean I loved him as a Ranger, but it was not like he was OMG amazing as a Ranger

I. B. Watching
02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I am not so sure Nolan is an automatic..I mean I loved him as a Ranger, but it was not like he was OMG amazing as a Ranger
That no-nos and beating the crap out of Rickey Henderson were pretty cool though

DDBooger
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
That no-nos and beating the crap out of Rickey Henderson were pretty cool though he beat up Ricky Henderson? I know Robin Ventura for sure, don't know about Ricky Henderson:thinking:

Txbroadcaster
02-11-2009, 05:48 PM
yes..i loved his no-nos, 5K strike outs and the 300 win milestone

I just think someone like Charlie Hough who has almost every Ranger pitcher record deserves it more

crzyjournalist03
02-11-2009, 05:50 PM

He did go into the hall of fame as a Ranger, had two no-hitters, got his 5,000th strikeout, and set the current all-time strikeout record as a Ranger.

crzyjournalist03
02-11-2009, 05:52 PM
yes..i loved his no-nos, 5K strike outs and the 300 win milestone

I just think someone like Charlie Hough who has almost every Ranger pitcher record deserves it more

Which would you rather have?

5 years of Nolan Ryan

11 years of Charlie Hough

I'd take the five Ryan years, but it seems you may be leaning the other direction.

Txbroadcaster
02-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Which would you rather have?

5 years of Nolan Ryan

11 years of Charlie Hough

I'd take the five Ryan years, but it seems you may be leaning the other direction.

It is not a question of who would I take..it is a question of who meant more and did more for the team..IMO Hough's 11 consitent years as a Ranger trumps Ryans 5 years at the end of his career

BTW..u mentioned Ryan went in HOF as a Ranger..only because it was in his contract when he signed his special services contract with them

orange machine
02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
No Dickey Thorn whats wrong with you people? What about ole Charlie Huff?

I. B. Watching
02-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
he beat up Ricky Henderson? I know Robin Ventura for sure, don't know about Ricky Henderson:thinking:
Oops, my mistake. I meant Ventura. I was thinking about Henderson because he was the one who was mad because he set a stolen base record the same night Ryan either had a no-no or surpassed the strikeout mark, and was mad because he wasn't getting as much attention. But I do think Ryan could beat him up:)

crzyjournalist03
02-12-2009, 10:26 AM
It is not a question of who would I take..it is a question of who meant more and did more for the team..IMO Hough's 11 consitent years as a Ranger trumps Ryans 5 years at the end of his career

BTW..u mentioned Ryan went in HOF as a Ranger..only because it was in his contract when he signed his special services contract with them

I've never heard of him having a contract clause that required him to go in as a Ranger. But even if it was, when you ask people what they think of with Nolan Ryan, most of the moments they mention are him with the Rangers. Was he a Hall of Famer before the Rangers? Absolutely. But his time with the Rangers is what made him arguably the best pitcher of all-time.

PPHSfan
02-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Woodrow F Call

Augustus McCrae

Nolan Ryan

George W. Bush