PDA

View Full Version : Prettiest Texas Town or Place

Bullaholic
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
What do you think is the prettiest town or place in Texas? Following is a pic of Alpine, TX as an example. You can get pics by doing a search from Google Images and putting them up, or you can just tell us about a town or place.

Alpine, TX:

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/alpine.jpg

eagles_victory
02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
At one time Nacogdoches was the prettiest town in Texas.

coach
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
At one time Nacogdoches was the prettiest town in Texas.

id say during the spring nac can be considered in the top 3

Bullaholic
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Barton Springs at Austin, TX:

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/barton springs.jpg

piratebg
02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

I love to take my kids to Zilker Park every spring/summer.

ronwx5x
02-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Are you sure you're just looking at the springs?

pirate4state
02-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Almost any stretch of road in East Texas. Love all the piney woods.

Bullaholic
02-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Are you sure you're just looking at the springs?

LOL, well many of the pretty locations with swimming do have that added "plus"......:D

piratebg
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I love to go swimming at Bull Creek in Austin. :)

pancho villa
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM
The Frio river in Concan Texas!

GreenMonster
02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
My personal favorite piece of Texas is on highway 6 just outside of Clifton where there is a large outcropping of limestone and the highway runs right beside the cliffs.

Bullaholic
02-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
My personal favorite piece of Texas is on highway 6 just outside of Clifton where there is a large outcropping of limestone and the highway runs right beside the cliffs.

Kinda like this:

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/clifton.jpg

cshscougar08
02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Lake Whitney is gorgeous.

Johnny Utah
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Green Monster, lots of history there. Indians used those cliffs to kill their enemies. Cleanest town in Texas, small town that is, that I have been to is Muenster. AWESOME!

injuredinmelee
02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Ranch Road 337 from hwy 41 to Vance, TX.

ILS1
02-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Lago Vista,Tx in the Hill Country

Magnolia,Tx near Houston is a very clean and pretty city.

Choose between Wimberley and Dripping Springs. Where the city meets the Hill country? Very picturesque.

Just a few of my favorites!!!

:D :D :D

Bullaholic
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Guadalupe River at Bandera, TX:

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/bandera.jpg

Reds fan
02-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Wow, what a question!

The top of my list would go to Big Bend National Park, being a flat lander that place is wondrous!

Funny to see the responses from folk from each area of Texas... those from South Texas like the piney woods of East Texas and so on.

My favorites include the following in no particular order:
The canyon lands in the panhandle region
The Devils Backbone in Central Texas
Balmorhea Springs area
Numerous back roads in the Kerrville, Concan, Rocksprings, Utopia area
The Pecos Rver near Pandale
The Devils River, Dolan Falls area is really cool.
Alpine and the Davis Mountains

Bullaholic
02-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Possum Kingdom Lake near Mineral Wells, Graham, and Breckenridge:

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/possum kingdom.jpg

STANG RED
02-11-2009, 12:08 PM
I've always liked the Wimberley area. It's grown way too much the last few years, but it's still pretty neat.

Also, the little highway (FM 150) that goes through Driftwood to Dripping Springs is very nice.

There is a little highway (27) that comes off of I10 through Mountain Home and into the north side of Ingram that has some awesome views, especially in the fall when all the leaves are changing colors. I like to take this drive on my way to Kerrville. It's a little out of the way but well worth the time, any time of the year.

Fredericksburg is still pretty neat, but nearly what it was 30 years ago. Same can be said for Granbury. Granbury was probably my favorite back before the metro mess began taking it over.

BEAST
02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Bend State Park. Its on the Colorado River between Lampasas and San Saba. Huge cliffs, water falls, and natural springs to swim in.

BEAST

Electus Unus
02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
South Padre Island, Texas during spring break.

IHStangFan
02-11-2009, 12:44 PM
What do you think is the prettiest town or place in Texas? Following is a pic of Alpine, TX as an example. You can get pics by doing a search from Google Images and putting them up, or you can just tell us about a town or place.

Alpine, TX:

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/alpine.jpg I'll second this area.....I also like it down near Lajitas and Terlingua. Not as "green" as Alpine, but still pretty in it's own right.

coach
02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I'll second this area.....I also like it down near Lajitas and Terlingua. Not as "green" as Alpine, but still pretty in it's own right.

i like downtown houston...now thats gorgeous

rockdale80
02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Possum Kingdom Lake near Mineral Wells, Graham, and Breckenridge:

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/possum kingdom.jpg

That is what I was going to say.

Johnny Utah
02-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Hard to beat RR 12 and the Devils Backbone from San Marcos to Blanco. NICE!!! Rockdale 80, no hwy 79 or 77?? LOL

DDBooger
02-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Hard to beat RR 12 and the Devils Backbone from San Marcos to Blanco. NICE!!! :thumbsup: yup

Bullaholic
02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Hard to beat RR 12 and the Devils Backbone from San Marcos to Blanco. NICE!!! Rockdale 80, no hwy 79 or 77?? LOL

Devil's Backbone:

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/devils-backbone.jpg

Daddy D 11
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
The Frio river in Concan Texas!

I'll second that, its the best.

big daddy russ
02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Man, there are some beautiful places out there. Let me also throw out the Rockport area and the Canton/Grand Saline area.

buff4life
02-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
South Padre Island, Texas during spring break.

amen to that

STANG RED
02-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Too bad there arent more safe places to just pull over and look at the scenery along RR12. I love that area, but I'm usually driving and its a dangerous place to take your eyes off the road and enjoy the scenery. I havnt done it in about 20 years, but thats my favorite road for motorcycle riding. Gotta love all those curves and hills.

How about Gruene, just outside of New Braunfels. In fact that whole area is nice, but Gruene is especially nice. Makes me want a big ol juicy T-bone from the Grist Mill, and a nice cold beer at Gruene Hall. Saw George Strait there back in about 79 or 80, before most people even knew who he was. Good Times!

pancho villa
02-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Too bad there arent more safe places to just pull over and look at the scenery along RR12. I love that area, but I'm usually driving and its a dangerous place to take your eyes off the road and enjoy the scenery. I havnt done it in about 20 years, but thats my favorite road for motorcycle riding. Gotta love all those curves and hills.

How about Gruene, just outside of New Braunfels. In fact that whole area is nice, but Gruene is especially nice. Makes me want a big ol juicy T-bone from the Grist Mill, and a nice cold beer at Gruene Hall. Saw George Strait there back in about 79 or 80, before most people even knew who he was. Good Times!

Gruene is nice

pancho villa
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I'll tell you the ugliest! Kingsville and the area around it!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Port Isabel and South Padre Island both are very nice.

Other places I like....Rockport, Austin, Dalhart (yes I've been there) and the road between Roma, TX and Zapata, TX, Highway 83 if I recall. Pretty scenic right along the Rio Grande River.

cookiemonster
02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Beast. I'm with ya on the Bend. Whites should be running soon!!

JR2004
02-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Too many nice places makes it hard to choose one. My favorite place in Texas though would be the Alabama-Coushatta Reservation out in the Big Thicket. That place is amazing and the history of the area is great too. A coach of mine used to be the head basketball coach at Big Sandy, just down the road in Dallardsville. They had one of those really, really old country churches there that is still the best church I've ever gone to more than 10 years later. I love that whole area.

JR2004
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
For the entire state I'd say a list for me would look like this.

Davis Mountains...I've driven to Los Angeles a few times and while the drive can be long and what not, driving through the mountains in far West Texas is fun. It just has an enchanting feel to it. I really like the area around Van Horn for some reason.

Caprock Canyon around Amarillo...The views up there are amazing. I really enjoy going through there on my way to Colorado Springs and Denver.

Bend between Lampasas and San Saba (Believe BEAST mentioned this.)...I love that area and if you can deal with a few moccasins then you'll love tubing down the Colorado River. My mother went there a lot as a kid because her family lived out at the Bend. She recounted a story three years ago at my uncle's funeral of her and my uncle getting on their bicycles in Lampasas back in the 50's and going all the way out there because of how much they loved it! That's about a 25-30 mile bike ride!

Fredericksburg...Saw it mentioned that it isn't what it was years ago, but it's still one of the more scenic towns and areas in Texas.

South Padre...Haven't been back since Spring Break 99, but man what a great place! It makes the mind-numbingly boring drive down to the Valley worth it.

Lake Livingston...Seemed like such a peaceful place to me.

Guadalupe Mountains around El Paso. Even though El Paso is pretty isolated from the rest of the state, driving near those mountains still makes it worth going out that way. Maybe the fact that waiting at the end of the drive was Los Angeles and Orange County made it more worthwhile to me...lol.

Lake Whitney...Went there several times during the summer when I was at SAGU. We always had fun jumping off the cliffs there.

That's just a few of the places I can think of off the top of my head that I've enjoyed driving to and through in Texas.

I. B. Watching
02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Hamilton Pool early in the morning before people start showing up

icu812
02-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Ranch Road 337 from hwy 41 to Vance, TX.

I've been on 337 from Medina to Leakey (that is my favorite) and on 337 from 83 to Camp Wood. But where is Hwy 41? I don't see it on the map by Vance?

Reds fan
02-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by icu812
I've been on 337 from Medina to Leakey (that is my favorite) and on 337 from 83 to Camp Wood. But where is Hwy 41? I don't see it on the map by Vance?

Hwy 41 runs west from I-10 @Mountain Home to junction of Hwy 377 northeast of Rocksprings.

IHStangFan
02-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by coach
i like downtown houston...now thats gorgeous you sir.....need to get out more, LOL. ;)

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

There is a really nice rest area on RR12 that overlooks the best part of the canyon.

Gruene is a great.

My wife and I got married at T bar M resort on Highway 46 outside of NB really close to Gruene and it was beautiful.

RiverRat19
02-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Area around La Grange (Fayette County, up and down Hwy 77) is really nice and picturesque.

Palo Duro Canyon is pretty in a rough way.

Too many places in the Hill Country to mention... From San Marcos to Concan...

Pine Woods area is very nice as well...

Way west (like Alpine) is nice also....

Antec
02-11-2009, 10:17 PM
The tiny town of Fayetville between Columbus and La Grange is pretty quait with a courthouse in the middle of town.

Comfort and Johnson City are small towns too with courthouses in the middle

Might as well Hallettsville also

SintonFan
02-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I have always liked the Central Texas region.
Love the look coming up south 281, off the hill as you just enter the bridge to Marble Falls. Granite Shoals is beautiful day or night from the lake at the resort they used to have there. Here is a sunset pic.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/476/grnshiq9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/grnshiq9.jpg/1/w1024.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img12/grnshiq9.jpg/1/)

rockdale80
02-11-2009, 10:44 PM
There are some areas around Rockdale that are pretty nice, but I love PK Lake. I also enjoy the Hill Country.

Diocletian
02-12-2009, 12:46 AM
By far Inks Lake.

I plan on retiring there.

I graduated from Lampasas and kind of grew up in the area of Burnet, and it has to be the #1 spot for me in Texas.

STANG RED
02-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
There is a really nice rest area on RR12 that overlooks the best part of the canyon.

Gruene is a great.

My wife and I got married at T bar M resort on Highway 46 outside of NB really close to Gruene and it was beautiful.

I'll have to look for that rest stop next time. I've been down that road probably 50+ times I guess and just never noticed it. Too busy looking at the scenery or the road I guess.

Another great place to visit is Moody Gardens at Galveston. I could do without the rest of Galveston, but Moody Gardens is amazing.

Someone else mentioned Palo Duro Canyon. I finally caught the play "Texas" in the Canyon last summer. Now that's something everyone should see if you get the chance. They do a very nice job of using the backdrop of the canyon as a big part of the show.

STANG RED
02-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Is Galvestion even still there?
No lie, had a kid who was taking a geography test have to rank the bodies of water in the US by size. His first two were:
1. New Orleans
2. Galvestion
I was supposed to be mad, but I thought it was funny as hell.

My company has been involved in getting much of the electrical infrastructure back in place in Galveston ever since the hurricane. It's still there but man is it in bad shape.
Oddly enough though, Moody Gardens was hardly even touched. Or so I'm told.

Was that kid serious or just being funny? Gotta admit, that is funny as hell.

T-Time
02-12-2009, 12:25 PM
last time i checked it was the medina river in bandera.

PPHSfan
02-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I have always thought the drive on 154 going West out of Gilmer was nice.

Aesculus gilmus
02-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

Um, okay. That would not be my pick for the way to drive out of Gilmer by the most scenic route, though. I would head NE toward Lake O' the Pines on 155.

This takes you by the Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area for off-road vehicles.

http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/

waterboy
02-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Yeah, and the drive going northeast on Hwy 155 ain't bad either. You could also pick any of the country roads in Upshur County, there's hundreds of miles of 'em..................:smoker: :thumbsup: :D

Dieselsmoke
02-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Some of the back roads between Glen Rose and Stephensville are great motorcycle riding areas. A local rider took me on a back road a couple of years ago that had cliffs on one side and a stream on the other. At one point you crossed the stream where it ran over the road with a small waterfall on the other side. Ended up at the Hard 8 BBQ in Stephensville, beautiful area to ride great scenic views.

Trashman
02-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Mason, Texas on the Llano River!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_cJXI70I_Ee0/Ri3yj6f0ECI/AAAAAAAAABE/YX8n3Gs1TAM/cliff1.jpg

Stownhorse
02-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I'll second that, its the best.

I'll third that. As long as its not raining.

shankbear
02-12-2009, 09:35 PM
In the spring, during dogwood season, the drive on Highway 84 between Mt. Enterprise and Rusk is great. It is a recognized drive in TX.

Trashman
02-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Mason, Texas on the Llano River!

http://www.expedition-outfitters.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/1-16-2008-06.jpg.w560h830.jpg

Let's try this one more time!

trojan37
02-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Palo Duro Canyon

http://beyondtherim.meisheid.com/wp-images/palodurolighthouse.jpg

FbCoachB40
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I second ranch road 337, but all of the twisted sisters are nice rr337, 336, and 335. You have to watch out the motorcycles...this area is rated most scenic drive in texas by the Texas motorcyclists!!

44INAROW
03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
In the spring, during dogwood season, the drive on Highway 84 between Mt. Enterprise and Rusk is great. It is a recognized drive in TX.
I agree - when we used to go visit my grandmother, we'd go some on Hwy 84 and it was pretty.