PDA

View Full Version : NBA thoughts at the halfway point

big daddy russ
02-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Let me know your thoughts halfway through the season, whether it's about one team's play, an individual's play, or the demonic entities known as David Stern and ESPN. I'll post mine below.

big daddy russ
02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
1. I, along with everyone else in America, was wrong about the Rockets at the beginning of the season. Even at their healthiest, they're not a championship- or even second-tier team.

2. I was wrong about the Spurs midway through the '07-'08 season. I said that was their last shot at a title. Tim Duncan's athleticism was fading and Ginobili's was too. Then I figured out that I'm dumb, that Duncan's game doesn't rely on his athleticism, and that Ginobili was (and still is) a gimp. It's an odd-numbered year, and the Spurs are one of only THREE elite teams in the league, which brings me to....

3. ...the Cavs are overrated. I think. Nix that, I know that the Cavs are overrated. I love Bron-Bron, but I don't see a championship team when I watch them play. What I see is a second-tier team who could sneak up on a top-tier team (the Celtics, the Lakers, the Spurs) in a series, but not in two straight series.

4. I thought Andrew Bynum was overrated. Until I saw him play.

5. I thought Amare Stoudemire was overrated. There's been absolutely zero change in that line of thinking, no matter how many dunks he throws down. Big men who combine freak athleticism with monster dunks, All-Star ability, and the basketball IQ of your average mongoloid are as common as Antonio McDyess, Shawn Kemp, and Kenyon Martin.

6. Age claimed two more NBA superstars this season. Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups are no longer playing at that level, though Nash's decline is much more noticeable because he was a fringe top-tier talent playing in a system that made him MVP-worthy. Billups is still close--real close-- but not quite the guy he was two years ago. PS: Dirk Nowitzki's not far behind.

7. This season has only reinforced my belief that although you don't need a superstar to have a good team, you need one if you want to win a title.

8. My list of current NBA Superstars looks like this. You need one of these eight guys if you even want to sniff a title. Apologies to Carlos Boozer, Paul Pierce, and the entire Houston lineup.

Kobe
Lebron
D-Wade
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Dirk Nowitzki (He's on his last leg as a superstar, and lack of talent--no matter what Mavs fans say about Josh Howard and Jason Kidd-- is holding him back)

9. Here are the up-and-comers with superstar potential that could possibly make it into that elite tier of players. Apologies to Michael Beasley, Russell Westbrook, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, Al Horford, Andre Iguodala, and Josh Smith on the potential superstar deal. I just haven't seen that superstar quality in you just yet.

Dwight Howard (he's already real close)
Brandon Roy (love his game)
Rudy Gay
Derrick Rose
Kevin Durant
Carmelo Anthony (Another who's teetering on the T-Mac line... will he ever take the next step?)
Chris Bosh (still has a ways to go)

10. Now's the best time ever to blow up the Suns. Trade Amare Stoudemire and Steve Nash while their value is high and wait for Shaq's $21 million/yr contract to run out for the big free agent summer of 2010. Meanwhile, use the recession as a crutch to land a few nice free agents at a bargain price this summer. Also get Jason Richardson's contract off the books and start building around a youth movement. If the Suns do that, they won't have to spend an arm and a leg to land a nice player or two (see Lewis, Rashard), should have a lottery pick in a 2010 draft that should be much better than this summer's, and will have money to burn on LeBron, Kobe, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Rudy Gay, etc, etc, etc.

JR2004
02-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
1. I, along with everyone else in America, was wrong about the Rockets at the beginning of the season. Even at their healthiest, they're not a championship- or even second-tier team.

Actually, I said they weren't a contender at the beginning of the season.

Any team coached by Rick Adelman is not a team that can be taken seriously. Add in that McGrady is a part of the team and it's a recipe for disaster. Artest has provided just the right mix of toxic locker room chemistry to cause them to completely fall apart. Artest is a guy who can flourish on a title contender, not a team heading for another first round exit.

I also said the one team that had a chance to break-through in the West would be Portland and they have.

Denver's resurgence was not predicted on my end mainly because Billups had not yet been traded for. I thought their season would be a bad one because of Iverson. Looks like he's doing to Detroit what I thought he'd do to Denver.

STAggie
02-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I think the Celtics are still the team to beat. With that said the Lakers and Cavaliers are right behind them with the Spurs next in line. I think the Cavaliers, who could still improve, are a great team because of Lebron. He is one of maybe 5 players in the league (Chris Paul being the only other definite) who can beat you himself. With that said I would love for Paul to get a chance with a team that has some star power where he wouldn't be counted on as the main scorer and could really drop dimes. Can you imagine how many assists he could have if he didn't have to worry about scoring 20 points to keep his team in most games? Also, if the Magic can add one more piece to their team (can't decide what would work best) they could be a legitimate contender next year.

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I disagree that it is just age that is hurting Nash..It is the change in style of play. He not in the wild run and gun system of the past he has to walk the ball up far more than he has in the last 10 years

Bill Simmions wrote a great story about Nash and his MVP awards and I think he was dead on. The system won the awards as much as the player did

Emerson1
02-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Dirk Nowitzki (He's on his last leg as a superstar, and lack of talent--no matter what Mavs fans say about Josh Howard and Jason Kidd-- is holding him back)

Since Dirk hardly relies on athletic ability, he still has 3 or 4 more seasons before even starting to decline. Duncan is 2 years older than him and still going.

crzyjournalist03
02-10-2009, 05:16 PM
My thoughts:

"The season is halfway over? Wow...I guess I'll start paying attention in about 4 more weeks."

coach
02-10-2009, 05:27 PM

2. I was wrong about the Spurs midway through the '07-'08 season. I said that was their last shot at a title. Tim Duncan's athleticism was fading and Ginobili's was too. Then I figured out that I'm dumb, that Duncan's game doesn't rely on his athleticism, and that Ginobili was (and still is) a gimp. It's an odd-numbered year, and the Spurs are one of only THREE elite teams in the league, which brings me to....

3. ...the Cavs are overrated. I think. Nix that, I know that the Cavs are overrated. I love Bron-Bron, but I don't see a championship team when I watch them play. What I see is a second-tier team who could sneak up on a top-tier team (the Celtics, the Lakers, the Spurs) in a series, but not in two straight series.

5. I thought Amare Stoudemire was overrated. There's been absolutely zero change in that line of thinking, no matter how many dunks he throws down. Big men who combine freak athleticism with monster dunks, All-Star ability, and the basketball IQ of your average mongoloid are as common as Antonio McDyess, Shawn Kemp, and Kenyon Martin.

6. Age claimed two more NBA superstars this season. Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups are no longer playing at that level, though Nash's decline is much more noticeable because he was a fringe top-tier talent playing in a system that made him MVP-worthy. Billups is still close--real close-- but not quite the guy he was two years ago. PS: Dirk Nowitzki's not far behind.

7. This season has only reinforced my belief that although you don't need a superstar to have a good team, you need one if you want to win a title.

8. My list of current NBA Superstars looks like this. You need one of these eight guys if you even want to sniff a title. Apologies to Carlos Boozer, Paul Pierce, and the entire Houston lineup.

Kobe
Lebron
D-Wade
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Chris Paul
Deron Williams

9. Here are the up-and-comers with superstar potential that could possibly make it into that elite tier of players. Apologies to Michael Beasley, Russell Westbrook, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, Al Horford, Andre Iguodala, and Josh Smith on the potential superstar deal. I just haven't seen that superstar quality in you just yet.

Rudy Gay
Derrick Rose
Kevin Durant
Carmelo Anthony (Another who's teetering on the T-Mac line... will he ever take the next step?)

10. Now's the best time ever to blow up the Suns. Trade Amare Stoudemire and Steve Nash while their value is high and wait for Shaq's $21 million/yr contract to run out for the big free agent summer of 2010. Meanwhile, use the recession as a crutch to land a few nice free agents at a bargain price this summer. Also get Jason Richardson's contract off the books and start building around a youth movement. If the Suns do that, they won't have to spend an arm and a leg to land a nice player or two (see Lewis, Rashard), should have a lottery pick in a 2010 draft that should be much better than this summer's, and will have money to burn on LeBron, Kobe, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Rudy Gay, etc, etc, etc.

i dont know about half way through the season but halfway through his post i could tell a lot is inaccurate

Sweetwater Red
02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Let me know your thoughts halfway through the season, whether it's about one team's play, an individual's play, or the demonic entities known as David Stern and ESPN. I'll post mine below.

Denver got the better end of the deal in the Billups for Iverson trade.:(

SintonFan
02-10-2009, 09:19 PM
At past the halfway, as of today, the best division among all conferences is the Southwest division.
They have four teams with 30 or more wins out of a total of ten teams with 30 wins or more in the NBA.
Might I add that the Spur's Roger Mason Jr. has himself accounted for the 4 game lead they now have in the SW division. He is responsible for four game winning shots against very good teams. Not saying he is "all that" but he is a nice pick up this year.

SintonFan
02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I think Dwight Howard is a superstar today.

big daddy russ
02-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I disagree that it is just age that is hurting Nash..It is the change in style of play. He not in the wild run and gun system of the past he has to walk the ball up far more than he has in the last 10 years

Bill Simmions wrote a great story about Nash and his MVP awards and I think he was dead on. The system won the awards as much as the player did
I'll have to check out that article. I love Simmons.

And yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to say with the "fringe talent playing in a great system" quote, it just might not have come across the way I wanted it to.

Originally posted by Emerson1
Since Dirk hardly relies on athletic ability, he still has 3 or 4 more seasons before even starting to decline. Duncan is 2 years older than him and still going.
I didn't realize that Dirk was only 30 until just now. Never would've known.

Originally posted by coach
i dont know about half way through the season but halfway through his post i could tell a lot is inaccurate
Like what?

formercougar18
02-11-2009, 12:11 AM
trailblazers are a big surprise this year, i think they make the playoffs but i doubt they go more than two rounds deep, and the cavs are overrated but lebron is not he straight up carries that team. We maybe loooking at another lakers vs. celtics finals which would be amazing in my eyes, i watched every game last year, but game 1 was the first game i watched all year so that tells u a lot.

coach
02-11-2009, 12:18 AM

Kobe
Lebron
D-Wade
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Chris Paul
Deron Williams

Rudy Gay
Derrick Rose
Kevin Durant

1. not everybody claimed the rockets good..i sure didnt.

3. all of that statement is wrong

5. id take him on my team anyday

6. nash had 21 assists the othr day

8. one is inaccurate....dirk...and why apologize to houston and boozer and id take paul pierce over kg but kg isnt a bad choice either...

9. melo is overrated...oden dont see it...bosh is closer than u think...and howard is already there

10. you can maybe start thinking about addind dallas to that list aswell

other than that ur 100% right

SintonFan
02-11-2009, 12:24 AM

8. one is inaccurate....dirk...and why apologize to houston and boozer and id take paul pierce over kg but kg isnt a bad choice either...

9. melo is overrated...oden dont see it...bosh is closer than u think...and howard is already there

#3. So the Celtics and Lakers are not top-tier teams?
#9 Carmelo is way over rated... yes
#10 Hopefully Cuban doesn't start acting like Jerry...:(

big daddy russ
02-11-2009, 01:29 AM

1. Congrats. That makes you and JR.

3. We'll come back to this in the playoffs. One phenomenal player can't carry the entire team to an NBA Title. It's never good when Mo Williams is your number two option.

5. I'd take him on my team too. Doesn't mean he's as good as people say he is.

6. That's good to know. Scott Skiles had 30 in one game about 15 years ago and Ron Mercer was hanging 20 points every night a few seasons back.

8. I don't know why Dirk's not a superstar. He raises the level of his team's play a full notch, has the ability to single-handedly beat any other team on a regular basis, and can't be stopped if he's going... The reason I don't consider Pierce on KG's level is that Pierce doesn't raise his team's level of play. He's clutch, he can score, and he's not afraid of anything, but his team won 24 games in the Eastern Conference (let those last seven words sink in for a bit) the year before KG. and Ray Allen came to Beantown. Pierce is a nice player, but he's not a franchise guy. Even during the Antoine Walker years, they were a distant second to the Nets in the East, who were a distant seventh to the Western Conference in the NBA pecking order.

9. I don't really know much about Oden because I've only seen him play once... in the season openere where he hurt himself again. I like Bosh. I really do. He reminds me of a Jermaine O'Neal with some range. But he's waaaay too inconsistent within games. Howard's close, and may be moving over the line as we speak, but I'm a little more strict with my definition of franchise player.

10. I'd agree with Dallas, too. They're shelling out $90 million for a team that's on pace to win 49 games. Kidd's $21 million comes off the books this summer, but they have a terrible contract tied up with Eric Dampier and could stand to get rid of Jason Terry's $10 million per after the season. I love Terry, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and the Mavs could use some wiggle room.

MamaBull
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
i had the magic as a contender untill jameer nelson got injured. but with the team the have now they can still play with the best i.e. celtics cavs and lakers.

forum_guy
02-11-2009, 12:01 PM
this is a joke right...does big daddy russ even watch basketball? lol

pirate4state
02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy

no, i don't think it's a joke. just his thoughts and he is asking for others.

my thoughts are: basketball season is too damn long!

coach
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM

very good question

Maroon87
02-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Sounds like he's asking for your input...:thinking:

big daddy russ
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
No I don't. These are just educated guesses based on 15 years of scouring the internet from my mom's basement and one night of ESPN.

Let's hear from someone who actually watches the game. Your thoughts?

pirate4state
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
No I don't. These are just educated guesses based on 15 years of scouring the internet from my mom's basement and one night of ESPN.

Let's hear from someone who actually watches the game. Your thoughts?

:spitlol:

ratherbfishin
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
A few thoughts fromo a different perspective...AFTER the Break...

1. Start betting the Spurs UNDERS
2. Start Fading the Suns..especially on the road..especially as favs
3. Celtics won't cover but win until mid-March...then they start covering
4. Always bet the Lakers at home but not on the road as DD favs

:smoker:

STANG RED
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Somebody wake me up please when their tipping off game 4 of round 2 in the playoffs. That's when the NBA gets real intersting to me. The season is just way too long to get very excited about for me.

Oh, wake me up when their down to the elite 8 in college hoops as well. It starts getting real good about then, but not before.

Emerson1
02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

Oh, wake me up when their down to the elite 8 in college hoops as well. It starts getting real good about then, but not before.
:confused: How can you not like all of march madness?

STANG RED
02-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
:confused: How can you not like all of march madness?

What is it 64 teams they start out with? Waaaaaay toooooo many in my book. Lots of big blowouts in the first round. Second round gets a bit better but still too many mismatches.
Sweet 16 aint bad though. I'll at least watch the highlights of those sometime, and maybe the 2nd half of a good game I happen across while channel surfing.