PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod Admits To Use Of Performance Enhancing Drugs!!!

ILS1
02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
His voice shaking at times, Alex Rodriguez met head-on allegations that he tested positive for steroids six years ago, telling ESPN on Monday that he did take performance-enhancing drugs while playing for the Texas Rangers during a three-year period beginning in 2001.

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure. I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons in an interview in Miami Beach, Fla. "Back then, [baseball] was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naïve. I wanted to prove to everyone I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time.

"I did take a banned substance. For that, I'm very sorry and deeply regretful."

Rodriguez's admission comes 48 hours after Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive for banned substances in 2003, the year when Major League Baseball conducted survey tests to see if mandatory, random drug-testing was needed in the sport.

Sources who know about the testing results told SI that Rodriguez tested positive for testosterone and Primobolan, an anabolic steroid. In his ESPN interview, Rodriguez said he did not know exactly which substance or substances he had taken. In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

"I am sorry for my Texas years," the New York Yankees third baseman said. "I apologize to the fans of Texas."

Rodriguez, who joined the Yankees for the 2004 season after a trade from Texas, said "all my years in New York have been clean." He also said it felt good to be honest about what he's done in the past.

"The more honest we can all be, the quicker we can get baseball [back] to where it needs to be," he said.

Rodriguez said he was told by Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the MLB Players' Association, that he might, or might not, have tested positive in the 2003 survey. A source told ESPN on Saturday that Rodriguez knew he had failed the test.

"I had never heard anything since," he said. "Whatever I was experimenting with in Texas might have been OK."

Rodriguez also said of his 2007 interview with Katie Couric on "60 Minutes," when he denied ever using steroids, that "at the time, I wasn't being truthful with myself. How could I be truthful with Katie Couric or CBS?"

Story Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847)

kaorder1999
02-09-2009, 02:38 PM
wow...good for him to admit it but sure wish he could have admitted it before being caught! Would have been much better IMO....

coach
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
i applaud arod for admitting to it...i still have high respect for him as a player. yeah he did cheat and mess up but who has never cheated in something...im glad he finally spoke the truth and he is still a first ballot hall of famer in my book

Electus Unus
02-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
wow...good for him to admit it but sure wish he could have admitted it before being caught! Would have been much better IMO.... I agree but I applaud him for being honest after it all and not pulling a Barry Bonds or any of the others that were on capitol hill.

kaorder1999
02-09-2009, 03:31 PM
does his admission keep him out of the HOF? What about the others who have admitted?

Electus Unus
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
does his admission keep him out of the HOF? What about the others who have admitted? I think it should. It you won't let Pete Rose into the hall then I don't see how they can let anyone who has tested positive during the steroid era in.

Emerson1
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Well had tested positive before it was against the rules and has won MVP twice since.

kaorder1999
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Just because he is a good guy and all I REFUSE to give him a free pass on this especially since he has taken a stand before by telling everyone he has never used performance enhancing drugs.

kaorder1999
02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Well had tested positive before it was against the rules and has won MVP twice since.
huh?

Emerson1
02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
huh?
It wasn't against the rules, only illegal, to use them. Since 2003 he has won the MVP twice, according to the michael irvin show.

kaorder1999
02-09-2009, 03:39 PM
i was under the impression they were banned substances back then but they just werent testing for them.....

Emerson1
02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
i was under the impression they were banned substances back then but they just werent testing for them.....
Oh, I dunno. Baseball sucks anyways

kaorder1999
02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Oh, I dunno. Baseball sucks anyways
MLB baseball banned sterioid use in 1991 but didnt start testing in its survery deal till 03. but you are right...baseball sucks anyways! lol

crzyjournalist03
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
First thought:

Can we now officially call the teams that A-Rod was on in Texas "25 kids" since now he claims he was young and naive?

Second thought:

Is anybody really surprised that he somehow found a way to throw the Rangers franchise under the bus by making it out that it was the pressure from the franchise and the money that they were giving him that led him to PEDs?

forum_guy
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
this shouldnt surprise anyone...i wouldnt doubt it if pujols and other big hitters were on that list of 104....

Farmersfan
02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Anyone have any comments on the fact that those random tests back in 03' that have nailed A-Rod and will nail some others were agreed on and set up as totally anonymous tests to determine the severity of steriods in baseball? The player's union agreed under those terms and baseball agreed and now those same test results are surfacing.......Should have been no names on the test in the first place....... Someone's head will roll.

crzyjournalist03
02-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Anyone have any comments on the fact that those random tests back in 03' that have nailed A-Rod and will nail some others were agreed on and set up as totally anonymous tests to determine the severity of steriods in baseball? The player's union agreed under those terms and baseball agreed and now those same test results are surfacing.......Should have been no names on the test in the first place....... Someone's head will roll.

It was all anonymous until the FEDs broke in and confiscated evidence in their perjury case against Barry Bonds. Don't know who has the names now, but you can't really stop the government from doing those types of things.