PDA

View Full Version : H.S. Track world records

STANG RED
02-09-2009, 12:51 AM
For some reason I got to wondering about track world records for high school only, and was shocked at what I found. Here is the link, look for yourself.
http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archive/records/outdoor/men/hs_outdoor_records.html

I was amazed that most are 20+ years old. One (1000m) is 51 years old.
I actually expected to see most of these records be less than 10 years old, but found that very few are.

How do we explain this???

Is it just that kids dont work nearly as hard as many did 20+ years ago?

I know when I was growing up in the 60s & 70s my Dad worked our butts off year around, and I was in peak physical condition 365 days a year. And I knew many of my friends that were the same way. Heck two a days were a welcome break from post hole digging, fence building, and hay hauling.

kepdawg
02-09-2009, 12:57 AM
I was ready to be impressed and very curious about the 51 year old that held the 1000m record. :doh:

STANG RED
02-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
They're fast, so they're hard to break? I dont think there's any deep meaning behind that. Do kids work as hard at jobs as they used to? No. Do they work harder on their specific sports than they used to? Hell yes! What we know about how the human body works, how muscles remember and respond, and running and jumping form has increased exponentially over the last 50 years. And kids are spending 365 days a year getting ready for their sport.
So, while most kids don't dig post holes or haul hay in the summers(I did, by the way), they have access to training that would make olympic trainers of the 80's and even the 90's look like 6 yr old.

Then you made my point for me. Kids that specialize in track have every advantage over those kids 20+ years ago, so you would think those records would have been broken.
So I ask again. How do you explain why kids today with all the modern facilities, diet, technology, programs, ect. ect. ect........ cant break 20 year old records???????????????
If they work harder on their specific sport and have all these advantages, you would think all these records would have fallen several times, but they havent.

WylieBulldog92
02-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Who says Florida boys are faster than Texas boys?

Also look at the 4x100 relay record it's ridiculous.

BOCEPHUS
02-09-2009, 06:11 AM
I WITNESSED 8 OF THOSE, GUESS I AM SAY'N I BE OLD, NOW THERES A RECORD

Rabid Cougar
02-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Track is too "hard" and that is why kids don't do it. Unless they are a track stud , seniors don't participate. I wouldn't say it is a modern thing. When I ran track as a senior in 1982, there wasn't but maybe 4 our five seniors on the team. It would be interesting to see what percentage of the record holding relay teams were underclassmen.

pancho villa
02-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Then you made my point for me. Kids that specialize in track have every advantage over those kids 20+ years ago, so you would think those records would have been broken.
So I ask again. How do you explain why kids today with all the modern facilities, diet, technology, programs, ect. ect. ect........ cant break 20 year old records???????????????
If they work harder on their specific sport and have all these advantages, you would think all these records would have fallen several times, but they havent.

I wonder how many of those records are converted times when they ran in yards years ago? They ran shorter distances and then converted the times when they went to meters.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I think part of it could be conversions and using FAT now instead of a stop watch that had hands.

pancho villa
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan
I think part of it could be conversions and using FAT now instead of a stop watch that had hands.

That is huge.

coach
02-09-2009, 12:02 PM
my uncle's 4x1 team missed a world record by .002 sec two yrs ago

BILLYFRED0000
02-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I think it comes down to one or two things. But the big one is the number of kids running track for tracks sake. While there are some good pure runners out there(my daughter is one) they compete more in team sports. Maybe just not enough support for track like there used to be. That and hand timing vs electronic.

Emerson1
02-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Timing methods could be a factor too. How did they do it back in the day?

kepdawg
02-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan

Emerson1
02-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Every record that was set before the new system was invented should be an *

Matthew328
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
The great Wyatt relay teams my senior year...1998 those guys were unreal

scrub c
02-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

thousand one, thousand two, thousand three....

scrub c
02-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I wonder how many of those records are converted times when they ran in yards years ago? They ran shorter distances and then converted the times when they went to meters.

GREAT POINT. Not quite comparing apples to apples in my opinion.

Seems like there should be a state record for the 100 yard dash and a separate one for the 100 meter dash...
I think someone earlier mentioned an * beside it... just make it separate.

eagles_victory
02-09-2009, 10:50 PM
He also ordered a buncha rings that he never got to use. :doh:
Mine looks great, though. :clap: Ouch lol

coach
02-09-2009, 10:52 PM
He also ordered a buncha rings that he never got to use. :doh:
Mine looks great, though. :clap:

lol very true

crabman
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
The 100 meter record is now J'Mee Samuels 10.07 run two years ago. Pretty sick. It was also FAT.

All hand times have 0.24 added to them. I saw Marlon Ramsey's 45.12 at the state track meet in the 400 meters but it converted to 45.36. The delay is in the amount of time it takes a human to punch the button on a stop watch from the time he sees the puff of smoke or hears the gun. 0.24 is a guess. It could be quicker. In international competition the blocks are wired and any reaction time faster than 0.10 seconds is considered a false start and you are disqualified. I always thought that sucked. It does keep you from jumping the gun though.

coach
02-10-2009, 12:22 AM
ervin parker ran a 10..09 a few yrs ago...talk about a dude that can fly...he whoopped AD in the 100 in a regional qualifiers meet...

Rabid Cougar
02-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
GREAT POINT. Not quite comparing apples to apples in my opinion.

Seems like there should be a state record for the 100 yard dash and a separate one for the 100 meter dash...
I think someone earlier mentioned an * beside it... just make it separate.

Times that where put up 20 to 30 years ago were legit. * denote questionable results these days. I do think there should be seperate records for meters and yards. They specifically seperate the Mile and 1600 meters.

I personally would like to see the straight 200 meters. I actually have seen the 220 run on a straight track back in the early 70's in Cameron.

Black_Magic
02-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I was amazed that most are 20+ years old. One (1000m) is 51 years old.
I actually expected to see most of these records be less than 10 years old, but found that very few are.

How do we explain this???

Is it just that kids dont work nearly as hard as many did 20+ years ago? Yes some worked harder. Track was bigger in the past than it is now. as for the 1000m record. They dont run that race anymore. it will probably stand for a while longer.

raider red 2000
02-10-2009, 09:17 PM
not sure if this matters.....but this was at the bottom of the page that had the records :)

Copyright© 2003, Track & Field News

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/ar...or_records.html

formercougar18
02-11-2009, 12:18 AM
we didnt have a choice on if we wanted to do track, we had to if we played a skill position whether we were good or not.