PDA

View Full Version : Queston for those who earn their living as coaches

Phantom Stang
02-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Looking over the list of applicants for the Sweetwater Head Coaching job, I notice that quite a few down the line (non coordinator) assistants from schools of all sizes, with all kinds of traditional records have applied.
Now I'm not saying that some of these guys wouldn't make good head coaches, but I seriously doubt they'll be called in for an interview when there are almost 100 names to consider.

So here's my question. Why would someone apply for a job that there's really no chance of him getting?

wildstangs
02-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Never hurts to try. People without coordinator experience have been hired before.

Trashman
02-08-2009, 02:51 PM
opps, you said coaches earning a living.:D

bobcat4life
02-08-2009, 03:03 PM
It never hurts to try. Just because you dont have a ton of experience doesnt mean your not a good coach. This is the way many young up and comers get their jobs.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-08-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't coach but I can understand trying to get an interview, every one you go through is going to make you better for the next.

If you believe you won't get the job you're probably right, but if you never apply you will never know either.

kaorder1999
02-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Looking over the list of applicants for the Sweetwater Head Coaching job, I notice that quite a few down the line (non coordinator) assistants from schools of all sizes, with all kinds of traditional records have applied.
Now I'm not saying that some of these guys wouldn't make good head coaches, but I seriously doubt they'll be called in for an interview when there are almost 100 names to consider.

So here's my question. Why would someone apply for a job that there's really no chance of him getting?

my only thinking is there might be a non-coordinator that applied that might have been a long time coordinator or head coach before their current job. Never know.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
my only thinking is there might be a non-coordinator that applied that might have been a long time coordinator or head coach before their current job. Never know.

That's true, I know a former Sweetwater AD/HC that is a position coach now at a 5A school.

Johnny Utah
02-08-2009, 07:24 PM
It is WHAT you KNOW and WHO YOU KNOW and WHO KNOWS YOU.

BOCEPHUS
02-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
It is WHAT you KNOW and WHO YOU KNOW and WHO KNOWS YOU.

A BIG BY GWAD DITTO ON THAT RITE THAR

Additup
02-08-2009, 08:34 PM
The fact they applied means they don't understand the hiring process (unless they specifically have an in)...It's their time and money, though.

The "Ego of the A's" makes a lot of 5A position coaches think they can pull off a 3A HC position. If they've never coached jr high, been held accountable for the way other coaches work, scouted live, lined practice fields, hosted track meets, coached a season of "B" team basketball, washed clothes and soaked game jerseys, ordered equipment, managed a budget, driven buses, or had input on the hiring or firing of other coaches, then good luck with that hire.

pancho villa
02-09-2009, 09:29 AM
I have coached at a 5A, 4A and, 3A and you need to know more about the entire game of football, and other sports when you are at smaller schools.

ol country boy
02-09-2009, 09:44 AM
:) :)

Phantom Stang
02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks to everyone for the informative answers.:)

While doing some internet research on Alan Cherry, who is one of the Sweetwater applicants; I found that Jesse Landeros, a former Halingen South assistant, was hired as OC at Rio Hondo after he had applied for the Head Coaching job there. In light of this, it looks like just getting your name out there can be beneficial.

ccraker
02-10-2009, 10:51 PM
I assume it is also a good way for assistants or even head coaches to get their names out.

If folks see their name on a list, then they know they are looking and they may get contacted for another assistant job or possibly a head coaching position.

hookandladder
02-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I have a cousin who was wanting to coach on the college level and early in his career saw that U. of H. was looking for a grad. ass., the Coach Jack Pardee. My cousin decided to apply, was able to interview with Coach Pardee and after the interview Coach said he would get back to him. After the interview my cousin asked if it would be OK if he watched practice which Coach said was fine. When the players and coaches walked out to the field there was a Tractor parked in the middle of the field, Coach Pardee was looking for someone to move it but no one knew how to drive it, my cousin said he could move it and he did. After he move it Coach Pardee walked up to him and said the coaching position is yours, so being in the right place at the right time can happen. My cousins coaching resume- U. of H., OSU, SMU, Buffalo Bills, Candian League,Opra Winfrey Show and the Coaches Corner Show on ESPN. Not bad for a kid from a town of less than 1,000 pop. His family life story and coaching career is pretty incredible.