PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the true meaning of "idiot?"

mac77
02-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Many of you may not realize that the true meaning of an idiot is "one who does not vote." If you have ever passed on casting a ballot in an election, the term fits. I am an idiot!

IHStangFan
02-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Many of you may not realize that the true meaning of an idiot is "one who does not vote." If you have ever passed on casting a ballot in an election, the term fits. I am an idiot! then I am unfortunately...an idiot. I was unexpectedly sent to Tampa, FL on short notice for the two weeks leading up to the election and am not a registered voter in Florida. :(

STANG RED
02-05-2009, 11:48 PM
:thinking: Hmmmmm, thought I'd do a little research just to check your facts. Sorry, didnt see anything not voting in what I found.:rolleyes: I did vote by the way, but it sure wasnt for the IDIOTS that are running things nowadays. If you read some of the stimucrap package they are about to saddle us with, it's obvious they think we're all idiots. Hell we put em in power, so I guess their right.

Idiot is a word derived from the Greek ἰδιώτης, idiōtēs ("person lacking professional skill," "a private citizen," "individual"), from ἴδιος, idios ("private," "one's own").[1] In Latin the word idiota ("ordinary person, layman") preceded the Late Latin meaning "uneducated or ignorant person."[2] Its modern meaning and form dates back to Middle English around the year 1300, from the Old French idiote ("uneducated or ignorant person"). The related word idiocy dates to 1487 and may have been analogously modeled on the words prophet[3] and prophecy.[4][5] The word has cognates in many other languages.

History
"Idiot" was originally created to refer to "layman, person lacking professional skill", "person so mentally deficient as to be incapable of ordinary reasoning".[6][7] Declining to take part in public life, such as democratic government of the polis (city state), such as the Athenian democracy, was considered dishonorable. "Idiots" were seen as having bad judgment in public and political matters. Over time, the term "idiot" shifted away from its original connotation of selfishness and came to refer to individuals with overall bad judgment–individuals who are "stupid". In modern English usage, the terms "idiot" and "idiocy" describe an extreme folly or stupidity, and its symptoms (foolish or stupid utterance or deed). In psychology, it is a historical term for the state or condition now called profound mental retardation.

coach
02-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Many of you may not realize that the true meaning of an idiot is "one who does not vote." If you have ever passed on casting a ballot in an election, the term fits. I am an idiot!

yeah...you..hahahahahaha jk bro

pancho villa
02-06-2009, 09:10 AM

I agree you and IHSstangfan are.

IHStangFan
02-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I agree you and IHSstangfan are. really....is there any need for that? Did I hurt your feelings that much w/ my thread on coaching? I mean...if you're that offended we only live right up the road from each other.....we could go have coffee and talk about it?

scrub c
02-06-2009, 08:03 PM
so the term village idiot came from the one dude who did not vote????:confused:

Trashman
02-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
then I am unfortunately...an idiot. I was unexpectedly sent to Tampa, FL on short notice for the two weeks leading up to the election and am not a registered voter in Florida. :(

Shouldn't have been a problem as long as you are a liberal democrat. J/K :D :D :D

zebrablue2
02-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
really....is there any need for that? Did I hurt your feelings that much w/ my thread on coaching? I mean...if you're that offended we only live right up the road from each other.....we could go have coffee and talk about it?

will not work unless you offer pancho a donut with that coffee..

Txbroadcaster
02-06-2009, 09:40 PM
To not vote does not mean your idiot..IMO to vote just to say you vote is an idiot..or voting along a party line simply because it is your party no matter the candidate is being an idiot

I did not vote...not because I dont know politics, but because I had no faith in anyone running and neither fit what I wanted in a politician..was not going to vote for one just to say woohoo I voted.

Emerson1
02-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
To not vote does not mean your idiot..IMO to vote just to say you vote is an idiot..or voting along a party line simply because it is your party no matter the candidate is being an idiot

I did not vote...not because I dont know politics, but because I had no faith in anyone running and neither fit what I wanted in a politician..was not going to vote for one just to say woohoo I voted.
You totally missed it.