PDA

View Full Version : Celina Softball

MN95
02-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Expectations are high:

Softball team could be best in school history

BY ANDREW MAY, Staff Writer
(Created: Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:25 PM CST)
| Text Size | Print Version | E-mail This Story

Does winning promote chemistry or does creating chemistry foster winning?

It is a question Celina softball coach Billy Coleman will soon find out as the 2009 season gets under way today with a scrimmage against Plano West. It is perhaps one of the only issues the loaded Lady Cats will have to face this season.

Coleman offered a tasty glimpse of how special the upcoming season can be for Celina. He said the team has the potential to be the best he has coached in his time in the Lady Cat dugout. Better than the Sarah McCloud-led squad that reached the state tournament in 2006. Better than the team that lost to West in the 2007 regional finals. And better than the one that made its third consecutive regional tournament appearance last season.

“Probably on paper we’re just as good as those teams,” Coleman said, “but you never know how it jells.”

Therein lies the major hurdle the 2009 Lady Cats will have to overcome. Coleman called this year’s bunch the deepest he has ever fielded at Celina. At virtually every position there are at least two players vying for the starting spot. In some instances it will only help push the returning players to perform at the highest possible level n safe to say reigning district MVP Joey Cronin, reigning Catcher of the Year Jasmine San Miguel and reigning Offensive Player of the Year Brittanie Knowles have plenty of job security. In other cases Coleman will use the scrimmages and possibly some non-district games to figure out who is the best fit.

Thirteen freshmen could vie for playing time immediately. Depending on how everything shapes up, the jelling process may take awhile. No matter how much talent any one team puts on the field, chemistry and cohesion are always important.

“We’ll just have to see how it all plays out and how they jell,” Coleman said. “You just never know year to year how it’s all going to work out. It’s going to be exciting.”

In the circle for instance, reigning first-team all-district pitcher Kassidy Holmes may be supplanted by senior Kylie Roos, who pitched in both the regional and state tournament prior to arriving at Celina this year. Up-and-coming freshman Katelyn Drummond could also factor in the mix. It is the same scenario at plenty of other positions.

“There is a lot of competition,” Coleman said. “All of them are going to get there opportunity to prove what they can do. It’s definitely going to make for an exciting, interesting season without a doubt.”

Coleman doesn’t expect experience to be an issue. Not a single player graduated from last season’s regional quarterfinal team and the Lady Cats have four seniors to provide veteran leadership. What the underclassmen lack in varsity knowledge, they make up for with an abundance of select experience.

Just how far Celina can advance this year after winning at least a share of the district title the past two seasons will hinge more on chemistry than talent. With a coach that always finds a way to get the most out of his players and get them to peak at the right time, that’s a scary proposition for every opponent standing in the way.

MN95
02-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Celina beat Plano West in a scrimmage yesterday 3-1. Scrimmage Frisco Wakeland tomorrow.

mnlavey
02-07-2009, 02:14 AM
At some point in time (hopefully soon) Corky and I will have the 2009 website on-line at www.celinaladycats.com

JR2004
02-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Wow...That's a really, really nice site right there that you've got.

MN95
02-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Very cool website. I had no idea it existed. My daughter no longer plays, but both my kids have many close friends on the team. We are on the bandwagon this year.

GreenMonster
02-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I've known Billy Coleman since summer league back in our HS days. Great guy, great coach, and I wish him well.

MN95
02-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Ladycats beat Frisco Wakeland today 3-0.

JV also won 7-1.

txkmom
02-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Did the Cantu girl pitch for Wakeland? We faced her in the playoffs last year.

MN95
02-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
Did the Cantu girl pitch for Wakeland? We faced her in the playoffs last year.

Yes, she pitched all but the last inning. I think 2 of our 3 runs were against her.

Twirling Time
02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Celina's got its whole team back from last year and added a Division I player at pitcher/third base. They are loaded for bear. They don't have a pitcher as dominant as McCloud was, and that's not a knock on what they have now. But if McCloud was on this team, I'd pick Celina to win at any level. She was filthy.

MN95
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Celina's got its whole team back from last year and added a Division I player at pitcher/third base. They are loaded for bear. They don't have a pitcher as dominant as McCloud was, and that's not a knock on what they have now. But if McCloud was on this team, I'd pick Celina to win at any level. She was filthy.

I hear Sarah is doing very well at Georgia.

In addition to the senior move in, our freshman class has several select level players. 3 freshman were starting on Saturday over returning girls that started last year.

PutMeInCoach
02-10-2009, 08:52 AM
It's a scrimmage. Sometimes a coach will try out the new players over returning just to see how the "rookies" will handle the pressure. Also, to see how they work with the others. He knows what the returners can do...let's look at the rookies. Heck, maybe the coach was trying to light a fire under the returning starters....can't take your position for granted type message. Also, you never know about injuries, so this way the coach gets a chance to see other options before the season truly gets started. Don't read too much into the "starting lineups" in scrimmages...never know what the coach is thinking.

coachkiss
02-10-2009, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see those same girls starting the first district game. Some of those freshmen are better than the returning starters.

gatordaze
02-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach
It's a scrimmage. Sometimes a coach will try out the new players over returning just to see how the "rookies" will handle the pressure. Also, to see how they work with the others. He knows what the returners can do...let's look at the rookies. Heck, maybe the coach was trying to light a fire under the returning starters....can't take your position for granted type message. Also, you never know about injuries, so this way the coach gets a chance to see other options before the season truly gets started. Don't read too much into the "starting lineups" in scrimmages...never know what the coach is thinking.

Normally, I would say yes. This Freshman class is unique. 5 started or got serious playing time in VB, MN95's daughter is the leading scorer on a district leading (after tonight) BB team. These girls have proven themselves so far and I expect that they will unseat some others pretty quickly.

PutMeInCoach
02-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Then that's great. That's a nice position for the coach to be in.

marler1972
02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
In my opinion Celina softball has as much if not more quality depth than most 5a schools.