PDA

View Full Version : Dogman and Rockdale 80

Johnny Utah
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Talked to a Rockdale legend, B Bassler. He has a Cajun food place in Houston and is doing well. Awesome kid, or should I say young man, and family.

ILS1
02-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Go _________ (who ever plays Rockdale)

:D :D :D :devil: :devil: :devil: :eek: :eek: :eek:

rockdale80
02-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Talked to a Rockdale legend, B Bassler. He has a Cajun food place in Houston and is doing well. Awesome kid, or should I say young man, and family.

I hear that place is pretty good and the next time I am in Houston I will probably try it. Opening a restaurant is hard work and tons of hours. Its not for everyone.

ronwx5x
02-05-2009, 01:40 PM

What is the name of the place? Location?

87 TIGER
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Go _________ (who ever plays Rockdale)

:D :D :D :devil: :devil: :devil: :eek: :eek: :eek: Whats with all the love? If you don't like us, why are you always reading and posting on clearly a Rockdale thread?

IHStangFan
02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
What is the name of the place? Location? I'm curious myself.....might would like to give it a try.

Dogman_1969
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
A Cajun sensation...I gar-awn-tee it
Rockdale restaurateur’s Cajun Cafe captivating customers

By Bill Martin
Reporter Staff Writer 

HOUSTON—Having spent 10 years of my childhood in southern Louisiana, there is one thing I was taught to appreciate, even at a young age—good food.
 And especially good Cajun food. Having been weened at Pat’s in Henderson, experienced the stuffed shrimp in Breaux Bridge and was practically raised at Poor Boy’s Riverside Inn in Lafayette where we lived, I know a little something about Cajun cuisine.
 Happy Fats and Rufus Jagneaux provided my childhood soundtrack. Justin Wilson was my court jester.
 In two ventures to BB’s Cajun Cafe, I have not been disappointed and actually quite surprised that someone could replicate so closely the food that I grew up with.
 Created by Rockdale’s own Brooks Bassler, BB’s is quickly becoming the place to go in Houston if you’re looking for delectable and original Cajun concoctions—with a Texas twist thrown in for good measure.
 Bassler, 29, and a 1997 RHS graduate, opened his restaurant the Friday after Thanksgiving in 2007.
 A standout in track and basketball at RHS (he still holds the school’s high jump mark at 7-feet), Bassler followed in his father Miller’s footsteps and continued his athletic career at the University of Houston where he earned a business degree in Entrepreneurship.
 Needless to say, that has come in handy during his first venture into the cold, hard business world.
 Nestled in the museum district in a strip center at the corner of Montrose and Westheimer between a gas station and a dry cleaners, simple word-of-mouth has given BB’s a cult following.
 You would think in a city the size of Houston, that the Cajun food market would be covered with over 2,000 places to eat.
 Apparently not.
 BB’s has received an incredible amount of free publicity, especially from the Houston Chronicle, where food writer Alison Cook recently rated it one of the 10 best new places to eat in Houston.
 Houston Modern Luxury magazine also lists it in its “Best of the City” section in 2008, calling it “a Cajun invasion.”
 BB’s has been called “the little bayou outpost” by the Houstonist.
 Another draw of BB’s is the late night hours the place keeps.
 It’s open until midnight on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and until 4 a.m. Thursday through Saturday.
 The first time we ate there, Bassler provided us with a menagerie of his dishes including classic creole shrimp etoufee, chicken and sausage gumbo and shrimpaladas, one of the many Tex-Cajun creations that makes BB’s special.
 The etouffee was mouth watering, the shrimpaladas were sinfully good and the gumbo was as good as any I have eaten anywhere—and believe me, that’s saying a mouthful.
 The muddy reaux had that smoky sludge pallet that can only come from the cooleys of Louisiana. Ca c’est bon!
 He also forced an appetizer on us called “Kathy B’s Creole Cocktail Dip”, consisting of shrimp, avocado and crab, that is served with tortilla chips that is hardly your average restaurant chips and salsa.
 Kathy B, of course, would be Bassler’s mother and Rockdale resident Kathy Bassler, a Morgan City native from whom Bassler pirated many of his recipes.
 Another popular dish among regular BB’s customers is the grillades and grits, which although a breakfast fare, are served all day (or night) long and consists of steak cooked down in seasoned Cajun reaux sauce with fresh herbs and spices along with cheese grits and buttermilk biscuits.
 If you are especially ravenous in the morning (or any time for that matter), you might muster up the courage and order the “Southern Man”, which consists of crispy fried catfish, fried eggs, flaky buttermilk biscuits, juicy bacon and creamy cheese grits.
 Just typing that made the top button on my pants bust open.
 The menu also includes oysters, salads, several chicken dishes and six different po-boys slathered in Bassler’s secret sauce.
 Prices range from an $8 po-boy to the $12 entrees. Appetizers go from $6 to $10. No need to fret, BB’s provides you with beaucoup food.
 BB’s also provides a selection of beer, wines and daiquiris, which you can get to go or stick around and listen to the funky zydeco background music.
 For dessert—should you find a nook or cranny left—Maw Maw’s Bread pudding, Brooks’ Brownie Sundae and of course—beignets, served with cinnamon ice cream.
 One thing BB’s does not provide to it’s customers—wheel barrow service to your car.
 You’re on your own my chere

How to get there
 • Heading into Houston on 290 East, merge onto I-610 South.
 • Take exit 11A for I-10 E/I-10 W toward San Antonio.
 • Keep left at the fork to continue toward I-10 East and merge onto I-10 East.
 • Take exit 767A toward Studemont St.
 • Merge onto Katy Freeway Service Drive.
 • Turn right at Studemont St.
 • Continue on Montrose Blvd.
 • Address is 2710 Montrose.

What the Chronicle says:
 Another stellar little sandwich place that could.
 In this case, the sandwiches are insanely delicious, baroque New Orleans po’ boys with some amusing Texas quirks.
 Fried oyster, breakfast ham‘n’ egg, roast beef wallowing in roux-dark gravy.
 It’s all good. 
 The presence of some excellent breakfast and brunch specialties (authentic grillades and grits, wacky beignets) makes BB’s an even more useful restaurant, as do its late-night serving hours -- which are helping to make the intersection of Montrose and Westheimer Houston’s new ground zero for dining after midnight.—Alison Cook

Johnny Utah
02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
You need to take a look at the Menu. Kathy B's Appetizers, classic!! Wish him and his venture well. Hell of a 3 sport athlete and person.

IHStangFan
02-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I think I may try to make it out and try his place.

Johnny Utah
02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Have not been to it, but will soon. Great people who know how to treat people to great food.

rockdale80
02-05-2009, 10:24 PM
You need to take a look at the Menu. Kathy B's Appetizers, classic!! Wish him and his venture well. Hell of a 3 sport athlete and person.

Good ol' Kathy B. :)

If you can high jump 7ft. in HS, you are a good athlete. The crazy part is Damion Turner did it the same year too. :eek:

Johnny Utah
02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
At the very same meet! 2nd and 4th at State, that tells you how tough 3a was and is!

rockdale80
02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
At the very same meet! 2nd and 4th at State, that tells you how tough 3a was and is!

I think they both hit that mark again though, but I dont think at the same meet, except the first time. That was a fun basketball season too. Those guys could play. You might remember that season. :)

Johnny Utah
02-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Had that very same converstation with BB, good times indeed.