PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Running Ubuntu (Linux) 8.10?

IHStangFan
02-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I am....and I LOVE it so far. Goodbye Windows!!! It's been real, it's been fun....but it's not been REAL FUN. I despise Windows and Microsoft. I've been searching for a good alternative for about a year now, and believe I've found it. Ubuntu has everything. It's even got a version of CAD and Primavera P3 (scheduling software). I've just installed "Wine" which is a program that allows you to run some Windows based applications such as Photoshop, etc., also installed IPBlock and a GUI based firewall. I'm LOVING Ubuntu.......anyone else using it please share your experiences, knowledge, etc.

Thanks!!!

IHStangFan
02-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Some other stuff.....a lot of which...cost HUNDREDS of dollars and don't come standard w/ Windows.....Ubuntu comes w/ all of the following....

WINDOWS --- Ubuntu

Internet Explorer --- Firefox
MS Office --- Open Office
AutoCAD --- QCaD
Outlook --- Thunderbird or Evo.
Photoshop --- Gimp
Primavera P3 --- Project Management

just to name a few....Ubuntu also has...

Pidgin Internet Messenger - Takes the place of all (yahoo, aim, ICQ, etc.)

Transmission BitTorrent Client

Screem HTML/XML Editor

Disc burning software
Movie Player
Music player
Etc.
Etc.

They've really thought of everything.

DU_stud04
02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
ive heard alot of good things about it. im formatting one of my spare hard drives on my computer to try it out on. ill try to remember to respond about it here in a bout a week.

IHStangFan
02-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
ive heard alot of good things about it. im formatting one of my spare hard drives on my computer to try it out on. ill try to remember to respond about it here in a bout a week. it's great...be sure to download the 8.10 version. Keep in mind that A LOT of the goodies that come w/ it have to be "turned on" and a couple can be added fairly easily. Lemme know man. I'm curious for input/feedback from others.

Electus Unus
02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
GIMP is awesome and I am also running ubuntu. I have had it about a month and I absolutely love it. Tomboy notes is great for note taking for class. I suggest getting VLC Media player which can play all types of media. One of my favorite things is you can download stuff and set up everything using a terminal. What does your set up look like? Mine looks like this...
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5107/homewo4.jpg

IHStangFan
02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I've been running it for a little over a week.....my desktop is kinda bare as I've filed everything away so far, LOL...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/BAClanton/desktopscreenshot.png

IHStangFan
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
GIMP is awesome and I am also running ubuntu. I have had it about a month and I absolutely love it. Tomboy notes is great for note taking for class. I suggest getting VLC Media player which can play all types of media. One of my favorite things is you can download stuff and set up everything using a terminal. What does your set up look like? Mine looks like this...
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5107/homewo4.jpg Hey gimme the scoop on some of the applications you've got on your desktop there..... :) Are you running a firewall? IP Blocker? I might be able to help out w/ that if need be.

Electus Unus
02-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I have my screen saver set up to just randomly show pictures from my "Pictures" folder so i created a "Created Picture's folder on my desktop so the pictures I create don't show up on my screen saver so that is that folder. VLC media player is a really fast and very good media player which is supposed to be like Windows Media Player except faster and all around better. Pidgin you know and Frostwire is a p2p download client for music, video, and etc. You don't have to worry about viruses much on linux so I haven't set up a firewall or IP blocker. I was doing some research into that though. If you want to get the most out of your graphics card you can install Beryl which allows you to have a 3d box view of your desktops and such. I do not have it installed and have also pondered installing it.

IHStangFan
02-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
I have my screen saver set up to just randomly show pictures from my "Pictures" folder so i created a "Created Picture's folder on my desktop so the pictures I create don't show up on my screen saver so that is that folder. VLC media player is a really fast and very good media player which is supposed to be like Windows Media Player except faster and all around better. Pidgin you know and Frostwire is a p2p download client for music, video, and etc. You don't have to worry about viruses much on linux so I haven't set up a firewall or IP blocker. I was doing some research into that though. If you want to get the most out of your graphics card you can install Beryl which allows you to have a 3d box view of your desktops and such. I do not have it installed and have also pondered installing it. I hear ya about the viruses.....my blocker and fw are for torrent and p2p sites.....keep myself "cloaked" if you will. Thanks man...I'm in the process rearranging my "panel" up top at the moment. :)

IHStangFan
02-04-2009, 09:52 PM
just installed or better yet...enabled Amarok......VERY nice....organized all of my musics in SECONDS into a playlist...and I've got THOUSANDS of songs. This Ubuntu and all of it's goodies just keeps getting better!!

IHStangFan
02-05-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm doing some digging and reading......Ubuntu will manage, etc. Amateur Radio stuff? Interface w/ radios? Antenna propagation, etc?? AMAZING!!

I_Do_Care
02-05-2009, 02:52 AM
I am job

IHStangFan
02-05-2009, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by I_Do_Care
I am job Steve Jobs? Awesome....can you make an iPhone/iPod Touch app for mowing my yard?

Thanks. :D

big daddy russ
02-05-2009, 04:09 AM
I was running Linux on my old computer and loved it. Had more problems with hardware compatibility than anything else, but never had a single problem with viruses, spyware, or programs suddenly closing down on me and giving me an error message.

Electus Unus
02-05-2009, 04:31 AM
you can get rid of the annoying system beep by opening a terminal and typing "sudo rmmod pcspkr" which is a temporary solution and it will be back on when you reboot your system. To remove it permanently open a Terminal, enter: “sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist” At the end of the file, enter a new line “blacklist pcspkr” Type Ctrl+O (to save the file), then Ctrl+X (to exit nano) After your next system reboot, you should no longer here the system beep.

Electus Unus
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
IHS, check out what I have done with my desktop now using features on ubuntu.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1848/desktopa.jpg