PDA

View Full Version : Private Coaches and Leagues

Bullaholic
02-04-2009, 03:00 PM
I wonder how many kids still participate in off-season leagues and receive private coaching lessons? Seems like this is more prevalent in baseball than in any other sport. I wonder how many leagues have try-outs for their teams?

Bullaholic
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Can a highschool player participate in/receive private coaching and/or play in a private league year round in a sport?

kepdawg
02-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty sure there are a good number of soccer, volleyball, and softball players that do.

pirate4state
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Can a highschool player participate in/receive private coaching and/or play in a private league year round in a sport?

Yes

kaorder1999
02-04-2009, 04:05 PM
as long as the private coaching isn't coming from a coach at their school or employ contracted within their ISD

Bullaholic
02-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yes

I wonder how the public school coaches feel about this. For example---say a star girl softball pitcher and both coaches are is trying to perfect her pitching style.

Reds fan
02-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I wonder how the public school coaches feel about this. For example---say a star girl softball pitcher and both coaches are is trying to perfect her pitching style.

A "star" softball pitcher most likely has to play tournament (travel ball, ASA) or exposure softball to get recruited. Most high school coaches are all for these girls getting private pitching lessons as are the travel ball coaches.

pirate4state
02-04-2009, 04:14 PM

It depends on whether or not that coach knows his/her stuff. :p

I've known some coaches that are OK with their pitchers getting lessons from a pitching coach.

I only know of one, maybe 2 coaches in our area that would really know how to instruct their pitchers. If that makes any sense. :thinking:

Not saying they don't know how to coach the other girls or the game itself.

I probably need to shut up. :eek:

Reds fan
02-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It depends on whether or not that coach knows his/her stuff. :p

I've known some coaches that are OK with their pitchers getting lessons from a pitching coach.

I only know of one, maybe 2 coaches in our area that would really know how to instruct their pitchers. If that makes any sense. :thinking:

Not saying they don't know how to coach the other girls or the game itself.

I probably need to shut up. :eek:

:evilgrin:

hookandladder
02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
A "star" softball pitcher most likely has to play tournament (travel ball, ASA) or exposure softball to get recruited. Most high school coaches are all for these girls getting private pitching lessons as are the travel ball coaches.

We have a large # of girls who are playing on a select volleyball team year around that also play high school volleyball and softball at the same time. I have seen some that will miss a varsity high school game to travel out of state for a select tournament. With the select tournament being an exposure camp that they are almost required to attend.

Reds fan
02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
We have a large # of girls who are playing on a select volleyball team year around that also play high school volleyball and softball at the same time. I have seen some that will miss a varsity high school game to travel out of state for a select tournament. With the select tournament being an exposure camp that they are almost required to attend.

Actually in softball, 18U and 18U Gold teams almost completely shut down during the high school season. There are no exposure tourneys at this time period and qualifiers for ASA Gold Nationals do not begin until June. Most conflicts arise out of kids playing in a national softball tourney in August when their high school volleyball coach is starting fall practice.

hookandladder
02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Actually in softball, 18U and 18U Gold teams almost completely shut down during the high school season. There are no exposure tourneys at this time period and qualifiers for ASA Gold Nationals do not begin until June. Most conflicts arise out of kids playing in a national softball tourney in August when their high school volleyball coach is starting fall practice.

One of our volleyball players missed a district game this year for a select softball tournament in Florida. She has verbally committed to play for LSU, she is only a sophmore this year.

kepdawg
02-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Plano West had 11 girls sign for soccer today and only 2 of them play for PW.

Highschoolfan78
02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
I would say tennis and golf would be high on this list as well. Many players will receive their private lessons to improve their game outside of school.

IHStangFan
02-05-2009, 12:21 AM
My dad coached a privatebasketball team during the summers when my sister was in HS.

hookandladder
02-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Im 100% against it.

If you are on a Varsity team I am also against playing select ball during that season however if you are on the JV team and do not get a lot of game time I think playing extra games is OK. Just my opinion.

hookandladder
02-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Too much conflict of interest. Ive seen it completely destroy programs.

Our coach is OK with younger JV players getting extra games in.We have 2 JV teams so playing time will be scarce.

Trashman
02-05-2009, 07:55 AM
This is a problem, as I have heard"Traveling Team" coaches tell their players to ignor the high school coaches instructions. This same coach showed up at a high school scoccer game and was attempting to coach from the stands.:mad: