PDA

View Full Version : When is enough enough????

Farmersfan
02-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Concerning the woman who had 8 babies:

Based on information that has since surfaced concerning this incident it appears that this woman is a single mom who already had 6 kids, lived with her parents and was on welfare. I heard on the radio this morning that some of the products manufacturers are withdrawing their support of her and not giving her free "diapers" because of these reasons and are getting a lot of heat from special interest groups. And wouldn't it seem appropriate for the medical facilities that performed these furtility treatments to be held financially and legally responsible??? The woman was on welfare for petes sake!!!!
What do you think????

44INAROW
02-04-2009, 10:15 AM
If I posted how I really felt, I'd probably get ROMMED - :eek:

turbostud
02-04-2009, 10:15 AM
All I can say is you asked for it, you got it. Have fun trying to handle 8 babies on top of 6 other kids. I had 1 and that was enough for me.

STANG RED
02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
All I can say is you asked for it, you got it. Have fun trying to handle 8 babies on top of 6 other kids. I had 1 and that was enough for me.

Problem is, we all will have to pay the expenses for all 14 of her little rug rats.:mad:
They ought to make the doctor/s that are responsible for this pay all expenses for all these kids till their 18 or out of college. I bet that would make em think twice about ever doing this again.

pirate4state
02-04-2009, 10:24 AM
"Stupid is, as stupid does"

Bullaholic
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
"Stupid is, as stupid does"

"That's all I have to say about that."...:D

Ranger Mom
02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
I worry about the well being of the kids......they are the real victims!!

KingRob
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
It is hard to believe. I mean she already has 6 kids, no husband, living with mom and dad, and now 8 more kids.

Houston Chronicle states that she is being swamped with movie and book deals, and now has a spokesperson! Only in the U.S. of A.!

waterboy
02-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
If I posted how I really felt, I'd probably get ROMMED - :eek:
:iagree:

injuredinmelee
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Problem is, we all will have to pay the expenses for all 14 of her little rug rats.:mad:
They ought to make the doctor/s that are responsible for this pay all expenses for all these kids till their 18 or out of college. I bet that would make em think twice about ever doing this again.

I dont disagee with you often but I have to disagree here. No one is responsible for this womans stupidity but herself. NO one else should be held responsible for her mistakes but her.

Txbroadcaster
02-04-2009, 04:56 PM
the sad..or maybe one positive thing is

She has a college degree and about to get her master degree

LH Panther Mom
02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
This is truly mind boggling to me. Okay, she's on welfare. How in the heck did she afford to have in vitro fertilization for 14 children? :doh: :doh: :thinking:

turbostud
02-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I was told in vitro cost 10K.

LH Panther Mom
02-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I was told in vitro cost 10K.
That's about what I figured. So she somehow managed to have the first 6 children at a cost of roughly $60k, yet she just wanted "one more girl"? I wonder if she got discounts for being a repeat customer! :eek: :eek: :doh: And does it cost the same for 8 live embryo implantations as it does for 1? :thinking:

Tx Challenge
02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I was in Los Angeles last week when these babies were born. It was all that was on the news there. I found it funny the lady at first wanted to remain anonymous, and in the next couple of days she hired a publicist. Once she did that it was obvious what her motives were.

loboes86
02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I dont disagee with you often but I have to disagree here. No one is responsible for this womans stupidity but herself. NO one else should be held responsible for her mistakes but her. I got a feeling you and I are gonna be responsible for this womans stupidty with our taxes. Unless she lands a big TV deal like some of the other reality stuff thats on.

STANG RED
02-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I dont disagee with you often but I have to disagree here. No one is responsible for this womans stupidity but herself. NO one else should be held responsible for her mistakes but her.

I understand what your saying and why your saying it. But my thinking is that she couldnt have pulled this off on her own. The Doctors were fully aware of the 6 kids at home, and it was their expertise that implanted the 8 fertile embryos in this woman. I beleive they shoud bare at least some of the responsibility, and since there is no way she can financially support all these kids, I would much rather those irresponsible Doctors foot the bill instead of the already overburdened tax payers.

Tx Challenge
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I understand what your saying and why your saying it. But my thinking is that she couldnt have pulled this off on her own. The Doctors were fully aware of the 6 kids at home, and it was their expertise that implanted the 8 fertile embryos in this woman. I beleive they shoud bare at least some of the responsibility, and since there is no way she can financially support all these kids, I would much rather those irresponsible Doctors foot the bill instead of the already overburdened tax payers.

I don't disagree totally, I see what you are saying. The docs are not the ones to blame though. However they are not the law. If she had the money to pay for her actions, and she was physically able, then that is the end of their responsibility. My issues are why a women with 6 kids already would want more when she cant support the other 6 on her own.

SintonFan
02-04-2009, 09:47 PM
From BBC news.UK:
"Octuplets mum 'deluged by offers'

Spokeswoman for Nadya Suleman talks about the babies on Good Morning America
A Californian woman who gave birth to octuplets has been showered with book and TV offers, the woman's newly-hired publicist has said.

The mother, Nadya Suleman, wants to tell her story and is weighing up the offers, said publicist Joann Killeen.

Reports that the babies were conceived through in vitro fertilization has sparked a debate over the ethics of such treatments.

News that Ms Suleman already has six children has sparked further criticism.

The eight babies were delivered nine weeks early by Caesarean section in a hospital near Los Angeles on 26 January.

The facility, the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Bellflower, California, has said it was not involved in the octuplets' conception.

'Compelling story'

Ms Joann Killeen said she was contacted by Ms Suleman to represent her and that hundreds of offers had been received. Many were for interviews but some have been to host TV shows or be a baby expert.

"She's the most sought-after mom in the world right now," said her publicist.

Ms Killeen said they were looking at all the opportunities, but that Ms Suleman was still in hospital recovering from the births and wanted to focus on her children.

Ms Suleman, 33, does want to tell her story at some point, however, Ms Killeen said.

TV crews have descended on Ms Suleman's house near Los Angeles

"She's looking forward to telling the story and setting the record straight," Ms Killeen said.

"I think you're going to be very impressed with a compelling story," she told ABC's Good Morning America.

Ms Suleman has not yet commented on how the octuplets were conceived or which clinic was used.

Her mother said "she is obsessed with children" and underwent in vitro fertilisation to have "just one more girl", the Los Angeles Times reported.

'Irresponsible'

The births have touched off a debate over the ethics of using fertility treatments to have that number of children.

Doctors usually use from two to four embryos in fertility treatments, not as many as eight.

The American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) recommends that women of Ms Suleman's age have no more than two embryos implanted.

"To put this many embryos back in a woman who is so young and had proven fertility is completely irresponsible," reproductive endocrinologist Suleena Kansal Kalra of the University of Pennsylvania told AFP news agency.

The ASRM is investigating how Ms Suleman became pregnant with octuplets and may "take appropriate action", the agency said in a statement.

Fertility experts have also pointed to a lack of regulation in the field and called for professional organisations to put stricter rules in place for doctors and clinics.

Multi-birth pregnancies come with a heightened risk of premature birth and health risks for the mother and the babies.

Doing well

Doctors at Kaiser say Ms Suleman's eight babies are so far making good progress.

They are the second set of octuplets born in the US, and now they are the longest surviving.

The last octuplets known to have survived birth in the US were born in Houston in 1998. One of the babies died one week later.

Although Ms Suleman may have been showered with offers for her story, it is not known whether she has been approached by corporate sponsors, as happened with some other multiple-birth cases in the US.

The parents of the McCaughey septuplets born in Iowa in 1997 were given a large house, a big van, baby food and a lifetime supply of nappies, the Associated Press news agency said. "
From Foxnews.com
"The mother of octuplets born in California last week is seeking $2 million from media interviews and commercial endorsements to help pay the costs of raising the children, the Times of London reported.

Nadya Suleman, 33, plans a career as a television childcare expert. It was learned last week that she already had six children before giving birth to eight more. She now has 14 children younger than 8 years old.

PHOTOS: ... and Octuplets Makes 14

Although still confined to a Los Angeles hospital bed, Suleman reportedfertilizationly intends to talk to two influential television hosts this organizationsweek — media mogul Oprah Winfrey and Diane Sawyer.

HFox newser family has told agents she needs cash from media deals."
Regarding some of your incredulous questions...
All I can say is that she lives in California. Do you need any more info than that? :(