PDA

View Full Version : Be Thankful!!! Lions May Lose Turkey Day Game After All

ILS1
01-31-2009, 02:09 AM
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - The Detroit Lions' Thanksgiving Day game is safe, at least for 2009. But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says that could change.

During a news conference Friday, Goodell said owners will discuss having other teams host Thanksgiving Day games "as we get later into the year."

The Lions have hosted Thanksgiving Day games since 1934, but the club fought off a resolution to rotate the game among NFL teams in 1999.

Goodell also says the NFL won't change its television blackout policy despite economic troubles nationwide and in cities like Detroit. Five of the Lions' last six home games in 2008 weren't televised locally because Ford Field didn't sell out.

Story Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9158060/NFL-boss:-Lions-safe-on-Thanksgiving,-for-now?MSNHPHMA)

I. B. Watching
01-31-2009, 09:27 AM
As long as we always have the Cowboys on that day I will be thankful:)

Looking4number8
01-31-2009, 09:44 AM
I knowing the Lions and the Cowboys will host a Thanksgiving day game. I don't care how bad either team is at the time... it is one of the few traditions the NFL has.

I. B. Watching
01-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah, Dallas jumped at the opportunity when the NFL was looking for another Thanksgiving Day game. I don't remember the exact year. But I do believe that helped shape the team's image because it did become a tradition. It was either watch the Cowboys or take an afternoon nap. I would do both during bad years. lol

Trashman
01-31-2009, 02:26 PM
If they take thanksgiving away from the lions it will only be a matter of time before they take dallas out as well.

Emerson1
01-31-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't get how blacking out the home market is financially logical. I know you want games to be sold out, but wouldn't you lose millions of viewers?

Looking4number8
01-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't get how blacking out the home market is financially logical. I know you want games to be sold out, but wouldn't you lose millions of viewers?

Probably more of a NFL decision, not a network decision that is in the contract.