PDA

View Full Version : Morality

Bullaholic
01-30-2009, 02:29 PM
After reading many threads about the bad moral behavior of many athletes and others in the public arena, I was stricken with the thought---How do we define morality? Whose standards do we use as acceptable?
I have my "morals" and others have theirs---whose is more correct and accepted?

Macarthur
01-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Morals are relative.

Ooops, did I say that?

That ought to get the conversation started. On your mark! Get set! Go!

ratherbfishin
01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
As soon as Coaches stop getting fired because of wins/losses.....

So you oughta talk about "morality" in the front offices, school boards and in the homes of the athletes first...

just my opinion......

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Whose standards do we use as acceptable?

Your own.

Bullaholic
01-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Your own.

Then by this definition, any standard of moral behavior should beacceptable to everyone else in our society?

LH Panther Mom
01-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Then by this definition, any standard of moral behavior should acceptable to everyone else in our society?
You said what I was just about to post.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Then by this definition, any standard of moral behavior should acceptable to everyone else in our society?

As long as the actions taken by the individual are legal, then yes, absolutely.

Macarthur
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
As long as the actions taken by the individual are legal, then yes, absolutely.

Slavery used to be legal.

waterboy
I think you may have just opened "Pandora's Box" with this thread.:D Everybody has their own definitions to this, when in reality there is one basic set of behaviors that is truly acceptable for ALL of human kind. I don't make the rules, therefore it is not my place to judge.........but on the other hand, innately we all know the difference between right and wrong. Just some people have a skewed world view, and it depends on what is convenient for them whether they adhere to the moral guidelines that are acceptable to everyone else. I'm sure you'll hear (or read) from a few of "these" people after they read this.:D

Let 'em roll!:cool: :1popcorn: :stirpot:

Reds fan
You cannot legislate morality.

ratherbfishin
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
You cannot legislate morality.

Correct! But your rivals on the other side of the field sure can judge it!!! It's the ol...rocks thrown in glass houses thing...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Slavery used to be legal.

Slavery is an activity, morality is a conscious state of mind.

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I think you may have just opened "Pandora's Box" with this thread.:D Everybody has their own definitions to this, when in reality there is one basic set of behaviors that is truly acceptable for ALL of human kind. I don't make the rules, therefore it is not my place to judge.........but on the other hand, innately we all know the difference between right and wrong. Just some people have a skewed world view, and it depends on what is convenient for them whether they adhere to the moral guidelines that are acceptable to everyone else. I'm sure you'll hear (or read) from a few of "these" people after they read this.:D

Let 'em roll!:cool: :1popcorn: :stirpot:

But it's soooooooooo much fun to judge others and throw stones and rant & rave and point the finger and be perfect........

Farmersfan
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM

In a society where people from differing backgrounds have to live together I think proper morality would quit likely be defined as a compromise between what is acceptable for you and what would be considered offensive to others. And as it is always subjective then morality is a ever-changing standard of behavior. What might be acceptable behavior at a Rock concert would rarely be acceptable at a tupperware party..................... We have to be flexible.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
In a society where people from differing backgrounds have to live together I think proper morality would quit likely be defined as a compromise between what is acceptable for you and what would be considered offensive to others. And as it is always subjective then morality is a ever-changing standard of behavior. What might be acceptable behavior at a Rock concert would rarely be acceptable at a tupperware party..................... We have to be flexible.

You don't have to stay at the Tupperware party if you don't like the actions of the other people there and you don't have to put up with the actions of others if you are hosting the party. Proper morality is what you make it for yourself.

Farmersfan
01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
You don't have to stay at the Tupperware party if you don't like the actions of the other people there and you don't have to put up with the actions of others if you are hosting the party. Proper morality is what you make it for yourself.

This is very true. But I interpreted the question as who is correct and who isn't. Removing yourself from a questionable situation doesn't make you correct or the other person incorrect. The only way to make morality correct is to compromise and everyone accept the compromise. Other wise you have two differing opinions and MINE is always right!!! Right????

Ranger Mom
01-30-2009, 03:52 PM
This is very true. But I interpreted the question as who is correct and who isn't. Removing yourself from a questionable situation doesn't make you correct or the other person incorrect. The only way to make morality correct is to compromise and everyone accept the compromise. Other wise you have two differing opinions and MINE is always right!!! Right????

My daughter had to do an essay last week on "Animal Testing...is it ethical?"

To me morality is almost like something being ethical....it's almost a choice.

What I think is unethical or immoral, others think is perfectly fine!!!

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer!

Bullaholic
01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Perhaps this is an oversimplification of an extremely complex issue, but I see it this way---

What an individual chooses to do in private is their business, but when they enter into public and involve other persons, then they also interact with other people's morals and may come under scrutiny. It's kind of like the smoking issue---smoke all you want at home, but when you smoke in public and cause others to inhale your second-hand smoke---then other's rights, or morals, if you will, must be taken into consideration.

Farmersfan
01-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Perhaps this is an oversimplification of an extremely complex issue, but I see it this way---

What an individual chooses to do in private is their business, but when they enter into public and involve other persons, then they also interact with other people's morals and may come under scrutiny. It's kind of like the smoking issue---smoke all you want at home, but when you smoke in public and cause others to inhale your second-hand smoke---then other's rights, or morals, if you will, must be taken into consideration.

To stay with this train of thought, if only half the people you encounter "In Public" take offense to your actions and the other half take it as acceptable behavior then who is correct? Do the half that takes offense have the right to expect a modification of your actions because of THEIR moral compass???? And how big of a percent of "The Public" needs to consider it offensive before they have a right to expect you to change it???

Macarthur
01-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Activities can be moral or immoral.

Farmersfan
01-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Activities can be moral or immoral.

But who gets to decide????

ronwx5x
01-30-2009, 04:12 PM

I don't believe many young people would want me to be the "decider". For starters, I would outlaw visible tatoos and low rider pants. See what I mean?

Don't get me started on some of the clothes young women (teens) wear!

Ranger Mom
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I don't believe many young people would want me to be the "decider". For starters, I would outlaw visible tatoos and low rider pants. See what I mean?

Don't get me started on some of the clothes young women (teens) wear!

And multiple face piercings!!:eek:

waterboy
01-30-2009, 04:15 PM
That's just it. There IS a set of moral guidelines that nobody wants to admit to because of the fear of having to be "politically correct" but will endure through the entire time we are here on earth. Those guidelines are not all-encompassing, though, and interpretations have to be made according to what "people" deem acceptable moral conduct. What may be acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another, enter "the human equation". Believe it or not, there is a moral code written on our hearts that in most cases will let us know if a behavior is right or wrong........it's called a conscience. Sometimes, though, I have my doubts whether some people even have one or not.:doh:

:1popcorn: :stirpot:

LH Panther Mom
01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
And multiple face piercings!!:eek:
(sorry, RM :( )

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KgIqQvYUs3I/SLYGlnPRqXI/AAAAAAAAF7Q/QWsh692a3z4/s400/Face%2520piercing%2520and%2520tatoo.jpg

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
That's just it. There IS a set of moral guidelines that nobody wants to admit to because of the fear of having to be "politically correct" but will endure through the entire time we are here on earth. Those guidelines are not all-encompassing, though, and interpretations have to be made according to what "people" deem acceptable moral conduct. What may be acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another, enter "the human equation". Believe it or not, there is a moral code written on our hearts that in most cases will let us know if a behavior is right or wrong........it's called a conscience. Sometimes, though, I have my doubts whether some people even have one or not.:doh:

It's not about being PC, it's about following the rules of the board. :) You go down that path here and everyone starts calling people names and/or telling them how they live their life is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. :rolleyes:

Farmersfan
01-30-2009, 04:39 PM

I disagree completely. The conscience isn't a creator of morals, it's a result of them. Your conscience is based on what your moral judgement tells you is wrong or right. If you believe something is correct then your conscience isn't going to contradict that. I honestly believe most of us have a moral compass that was instilled in us at a very young age and is based on the teachings of religion. Whether we outwardly follow those teaching or not we have a internal compass that tells us right from wrong based on those fundementals. Put a couple of babies on a desserted island without any outside influences and they will grow up to have a very limited moral standing. All the things that we adhore in society will become common with them. A brother and sister will naturally grow to perform sexual acts. They will have no concept of murder, hate, greed, or any other bad human traits because these will simply be the way they are. They will not judge each other because they don't know wrong from right.

Macarthur
01-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Good question.

This is where my response was directed:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

waterboy
01-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I disagree completely. The conscience isn't a creator of morals, it's a result of them. Your conscience is based on what your moral judgement tells you is wrong or right. If you believe something is correct then your conscience isn't going to contradict that. I honestly believe most of us have a moral compass that was instilled in us at a very young age and is based on the teachings of religion. Whether we outwardly follow those teaching or not we have a internal compass that tells us right from wrong based on those fundementals. Put a couple of babies on a desserted island without any outside influences and they will grow up to have a very limited moral standing. All the things that we adhore in society will become common with them. A brother and sister will naturally grow to perform sexual acts. They will have no concept of murder, hate, greed, or any other bad human traits because these will simply be the way they are. They will not judge each other because they don't know wrong from right.
I think you misunderstood me. I think conscience and morals are connected, or intertwined to the point of not being able to have one without the other. Conscience is simply doing something knowingly, whether right or wrong, and feeling okay with it or not. Morals are an inner compass telling you what IS right or wrong. I don't think you can have one without the other. And yes, everyone is influenced by their circumstances, i.e. environment, religion, parental guidance or lack thereof, discipline, etc. The most basic moral guidelines are written on the heart regardless of circumstance, but if there is no (or very little) discipline for going against them, as in the case of those outside the civilized world for example, then people will grow to accept immoral behavior as acceptable.

waterboy
01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
But it's soooooooooo much fun to judge others and throw stones and rant & rave and point the finger and be perfect........
How on earth would you know??:D

vet93
01-30-2009, 06:24 PM
We live in a post modern society where moral relativism is the god that is worshiped. Right and wrong are defined by the individual and the collective morality of the individuals define the morality of the society in general. The great difficulty that this type of belief system creates is that there are no boundaries that the depravity of man cannot cross. If our collective morality decides that having sex with children is normal...then what was once deviant is now normative and this behavior will be a plague on our children. This belief system depends on the basic goodness of man and society's ability to correct abuses. I personally do not believe in the goodness of man and our ability to right ourselves when we begin to slip into depravity.

GreenMonster
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
As long as the actions taken by the individual are legal, then yes, absolutely. I disagree totally. The degradation of our society as a whole begins at home. If Mom and Pop ain't home parenting or better yet don't give a rip enough to parent when they are home and we allow these children to develop their own morals (which is happening as I type this) then we cannot continue to go forward without setting some rules. I don't care if it's legal or not, there should be certain unwritten laws to keep these people in line. If we don't do something quick, we will be overrun by the idiots. The best example that I have seen ever is the movie "Idiocracy" starring Dax Sheppard, Luke Wilson, & Maya Rudolph. I think that in a way, it might be more prophetic than any of us will ever realize. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It might just scare the pants off of you.

pirate4state
01-31-2009, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
If we don't do something quick, we will be overrun by the idiots. The best example that I have seen ever is the movie "Idiocracy" starring Dax Sheppard, Luke Wilson, & Maya Rudolph. I think that in a way, it might be more prophetic than any of us will ever realize. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It might just scare the pants off of you. hahaha BBDE, du_stud, myself & a few others quote this movie on daily basis...

IHStangFan
01-31-2009, 02:59 AM
everyone has their own moral compass......but in reality society dictates what is acceptable and what is not...then you have laws that most w/ a sense of community tend to at least attempt to follow....morals are molded by many things...how you were raised, community, environment, law, religion, etc. etc. etc. What we view as good morals, may not be so "moral" in other parts of the world, and vise versa. So as someone said above...they're really relative to who you are, where you are, etc.

Rabid Cougar
01-31-2009, 10:35 AM
The game of Football in of itself is immoral.

You lie, cheat and steal and you are rewarded for doing it well!