PDA

View Full Version : Carne Gusada

pancho villa
01-30-2009, 09:27 AM
A girl in my class just brought me some carne gusada her mom made. WOW is it good! My ol lady better get on the ball or I am going to have to trade her in on one that can cook like that!

Ranger Mom
01-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
A girl in my class just brought me some carne gusada her mom made. WOW is it good! My ol lady better get on the ball or I am going to have to trade her in on one that can cook like that!

I made some following a "youtube' recipe a couple of weeks ago.....it was a HUGE hit at my house!!

Carne Guisada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiN1ujVzeXQ)

MN95
01-30-2009, 10:11 AM
that looks great, may try it this weekend. One thing I have started to do with chili, that would work well on this as well, is to actually slow cook the seasoned meat first, then the combined ingredients in my smoker. The absorbed smoke adds lots of flavor.

44INAROW
01-30-2009, 10:11 AM
my husband loves Carne Quisada - I had no idea how to make it - thanks for the Youtube RM - now I have a good idea how to do it. One thing though - the amount that guy made isn't NEAR enough lol.......... that's OK - I have a huge slow cooker :p

PS I like it with potatoes in it ;)

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I made some following a "youtube' recipe a couple of weeks ago.....it was a HUGE hit at my house!!

Carne Guisada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiN1ujVzeXQ)

I can't believe I watched all of that. His voice was VERY annoying, but I wanted to see what this white boy could do. ;)

Tomato paste? :ack!: Chili powder ... okay, I can get behind using that in carne guisada.

All the seasoning I need/use when making carne guisada is this http://www.fiestaspices.com/images/products/carneguisadaseasoning.jpg. It has everything you need! Keep it simple. :)

Great, now I'm hungry & want carne guisada.

DU_stud04
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I can't believe I watched all of that. His voice was VERY annoying, but I wanted to see what this white boy could do. ;)

Tomato paste? :ack!: Chili powder ... okay, I can get behind using that in carne guisada.

All the seasoning I need/use when making carne guisada is this http://www.fiestaspices.com/images/products/carneguisadaseasoning.jpg. It has everything you need! Keep it simple. :)

Great, now I'm hungry & want carne guisada. i watched the video as well, and thats completely different than how i make it..... looks like i know whats for lunch though :D

MN95
01-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i watched the video as well, and thats completely different than how i make it..... looks like i know whats for lunch though :D

would you mind sharing what you do differently? (Anyone else chime in also) I'm going to make this today. Thanks.

pancho villa
01-30-2009, 11:15 AM
I can't watch youtube or see any pictures posted on here, it sucks!

Ranger Mom
01-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I didn't use the chili powder, because I didn't have any!!

I didn't know there was a "carne guisada" spice, so I will try that next time.

I cooked mine up in the skillet like he said, but then transferred it all to my crockpot and cooked it on low for about 6 hours.

I added a little cornstarch at the end to thicken it up some more.

Black_Magic
01-30-2009, 11:21 AM
its awsome. There is a great place to eat it In Snyder on the corner of College and 37th. Best I ever had.

STANG RED
01-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I could eat good Carne Guisada with flour tortillas every day. That stuff is awesome.
But my favorite is Caldo Res soup. It's hard to find, but man is it worth it when you do. Found a little mom and pop shop in Amarillo that makes some of the best I've ever had.

GreenMonster
01-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I like it over a bed of Spanish rice. YUM! I think I may have to try this. Rita, post your recipe and directions. I'm a simpleton, I need directions!

IHStangFan
01-30-2009, 01:35 PM
I LOOOOOOVE carne gusada. It is my absolute favorite breakfast food. I was very upset to learn though that it's more of a regional South Texas (Tex-Mex) dish than a real Mexican food dish. First time I went into a Mexican food restaurant and then a taco shop in Arizona and asked for it, they all looked at me like I was crazy then asked "what is that". They had ASADA, but not GUSADA. Big difference.

Electus Unus
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
This thread is useless with out picturess of your finished product!

pancho villa
01-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I LOOOOOOVE carne gusada. It is my absolute favorite breakfast food. I was very upset to learn though that it's more of a regional South Texas (Tex-Mex) dish than a real Mexican food dish. First time I went into a Mexican food restaurant and then a taco shop in Arizona and asked for it, they all looked at me like I was crazy then asked "what is that". They had ASADA, but not GUSADA. Big difference.

When in Arizona you have to order green chili stew. Same stuff different name. Chili verde, Yummy

pancho villa
01-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus

We need smellavision

Ranger Mom
01-30-2009, 02:14 PM
We have a restaurant here called Jumburrito and they have "Stew Meat" burritos on the menu that I absolutely LOVE.

When my kids ate my Carne Guisada, they said it tasted exactly those burritos....that was the biggest compliment they could have given me, IMO!!:)

44INAROW
01-30-2009, 02:30 PM

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/1555293253_fbcdf4283b-1.jpg

kinda/sorta what it looks like - it reminds me of a spicy version of my mom's smothered steak and gravy ;) dang I am hungry for some of that now :cool:

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I like it over a bed of Spanish rice. YUM! I think I may have to try this. Rita, post your recipe and directions. I'm a simpleton, I need directions!

Coat meat in flour
Sear meat in skillet (don't forget the oil haha)
transfer meat from skillet to slow cooker
add 3-4 cups water
add 5-7 tablespoons of fiesta carne guisada seasoning (i say 5-7, but it's really "season to your taste buds")
slow cook for 4-6 hours

If you want a thick Gravy this is what I do, but you can eat the above as is.

For gravy:
drain the juice out of the stew, set aside
heat up some oil in a skillet
add 1 tbsp flour
add 1 tbsp fiesta carne guisada seasoning
once it is lightly toasted, stir in the juices from the stew and thicken it to your liking (is thicken a word?)

add the meat back in & you are done. :)

seems pretty simple to me, but i've been cooking this dish for a few years so it's no big deal LOL

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
This thread is useless with out picturess of your finished product! I'll make some tomorrow & take a picture

pancho villa
01-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I'll make some tomorrow & take a picture

Send me some. mucho gusto! LOL

Ranger Mom
01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Coat meat in flour
add 3-4 cups water
add 5-7 tablespoons of fiesta carne guisada seasoning (i say 5-7, but it's really "season to your taste buds")
slow cook for 4-6 hours

For gravy:
add 1 tbsp flour
once it is lightly toasted, stir in the juices from the stew and thicken it to your liking (is thicken a word?)

seems pretty simple to me, but i've been cooking this dish for a few years so it's no big deal LOL

That is pretty much exactly what I did...minus the Carne Guisada seasoning.

Surely they sell that here!!!

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Send me some. mucho gusto! LOL
I'll send it with my standaround sponsor so he can sprinkle a little color in just for YOU. bahaha. :D

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 02:45 PM
That is pretty much exactly what I did...minus the Carne Guisada seasoning.

Surely they sell that here!!!

Yes, Wal-Mart should sell it. It saves the hassle of chopping bell peppers, celery, etc...because it has all that in there in that powder. You'll see the peppers once the meat is cooked. :nerd:

Electus Unus
01-30-2009, 02:47 PM
I'll make some tomorrow & take a picture Alright but you gotta take pictures of all the steps to making it so our people of the downlow will know how to.

MN95
01-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm making it right now. My local grocer did not have the seasoning, so I am chopping

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by MN95
I'm making it right now. My local grocer did not have the seasoning, so I am chopping

Weird. Oh well...happy chopping. Take pictures for EU haha

Ranger Mom
01-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Weird. Oh well...happy chopping. Take pictures for EU haha

I think I would still put onions and jalapenos in mine.....just cause!!

ronwx5x
01-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Coat meat in flour
add 3-4 cups water
slow cook for 4-6 hours

For gravy:
add 1 tbsp flour

How much and what cut of meat do you use? And how many do you thimk it will serve?

Ranger Mom
01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
How much and what cut of meat do you use?

That you tube recipe called for chuck roast...I just used stew meat so I didn't have to cut it myself!!:D

I know you were asking Rita, but you know me........:p :p

MN95
01-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I think I would still put onions and jalapenos in mine.....just cause!!

I agree!!! If it's worth being done, it's worth being OVER done. I also added potatos. It's in the crock pot now. Looks great. Did not take any prep pics but will try to get one of the finished product before my son gets to it.

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 04:09 PM
How much and what cut of meat do you use?

Oops :D I usually buy 2 packages of whatever "stew meat" the grocery store has available.

MN95
01-30-2009, 04:10 PM
I cut up about 4 lbs of chuck roast. It did take a while.

Ranger Mom
01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree!!! If it's worth being done, it's worth being OVER done. I also added potatos. It's in the crock pot now. Looks great. Did not take any prep pics but will try to get one of the finished product before my son gets to it.

Potatoes sound delicious, I will have to try that next time!!

That may be my "Superbowl meal!!"

MN95
01-30-2009, 04:21 PM
I didn't have time today, but when I have more time, instead of going from the skillet to the crock pot, I will put my skillet in my smoker for 2-3 hours at 225-250 degrees using pecan wood. That will be awesome.

pirate4state
Well, now yall are just making roast by adding potatoes! :doh: :p

That's just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG....see what I did there? :D

DU_stud04
the only way i cook it has been with steak.... moo

MN95
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
seems like I have tried to post pictures before, but was not allowed. I see at the bottom of this screen that I may not post attachments. Do I need some super secret clearance to do that?

44INAROW
01-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
my husband loves Carne Quisada - I had no idea how to make it - thanks for the Youtube RM - now I have a good idea how to do it. One thing though - the amount that guy made isn't NEAR enough lol.......... that's OK - I have a huge slow cooker :p

PS I like it with potatoes in it ;)

the potatoes add a great flavor - I am seriously thinking about making some of this tomorrow - can try out my new slow cooker at the same time

MN - please post your results :)

MN95
01-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, now yall are just making roast by adding potatoes! :doh: :p

That's just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG....see what I did there? :D

OK, point taken. We do want to be authentic. Guess I'll need some cold Dos Equis handy next time also? Only because you say so.:)

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
seems like I have tried to post pictures before, but was not allowed. I see at the bottom of this screen that I may not post attachments. Do I need some super secret clearance to do that? you have to upload your pics from your pc to an image hosting site and they will provide the [img] ... [/.img] code you need to post your pictures here

DU_stud04
01-30-2009, 04:26 PM
ill cook some and some rice tonight. if the.... pictures.... don't turn out good, i won't post them... :)

ronwx5x
01-30-2009, 04:32 PM
ill cook some and some rice tonight. if the.... pictures.... don't turn out good, i won't post them... :)

If you plan to eat it tonight you better hurry. Cooking time is 4-6 hours!

DU_stud04
01-30-2009, 05:10 PM
If you plan to eat it tonight you better hurry. Cooking time is 4-6 hours! i cook differently. :)

MN95
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
i cook differently. :)

Don't do it, BACK AWAY from the microwave!!!:)

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Don't do it, BACK AWAY from the microwave!!!:)
haha the scene from "My Cousin Vinny" came to mind where the witness said "i'm a fast cook, i guess" :spitlol: love that movie

Everyone enjoy their carne guisada! I'm going to the grocery store now to buy the meat! :D

MN95
01-30-2009, 05:35 PM
OK, it has at least a couple of more hours to go, but I have a basketball game to go to. Should be perfect when we get home around 8. Smells awesome, first thing out of my son's mouth when he walked in a few minutes ago, "what's cooking?"

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/martyn8677/DSC_0001.jpg

IHStangFan
01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
When in Arizona you have to order green chili stew. Same stuff different name. Chili verde, Yummy Was never able to find it in Southern AZ....I lived there for 2 yrs and some change....explained it to people, what it was.....nada. (shrug).....could be one of the reasons I eventually moved back to TX......Tex-mex is WAAAAY better than traditional Mexican food you find in other places :)

DU_stud04
01-30-2009, 07:48 PM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/mexmustangs04/DSC_0030.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/mexmustangs04/DSC_0032.jpg

Electus Unus
01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
flower tortillas.....GROSS!

44INAROW
01-30-2009, 08:21 PM
OK, it has at least a couple of more hours to go, but I have a basketball game to go to. Should be perfect when we get home around 8. Smells awesome, first thing out of my son's mouth when he walked in a few minutes ago, "what's cooking?"

looks wonderful MN95 - hope it tastes as good as it looks ;)

MN95
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
just had a bowl, the meat was really tender, could have used a little more spice, but still very good. Will be eating on it all weekend.

trojan37
01-30-2009, 10:57 PM

Great, now I'm hungry & want carne guisada.

Fiesta has the best seasonings there is. I like to barbeque a lot, and I use their brisket rub, chicken rub, and just about everything else they have.

pancho villa
01-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Was never able to find it in Southern AZ....I lived there for 2 yrs and some change....explained it to people, what it was.....nada. (shrug).....could be one of the reasons I eventually moved back to TX......Tex-mex is WAAAAY better than traditional Mexican food you find in other places :)

Where in southern Az.? I am from a town in southern Az. Douglas

pirate4state
01-31-2009, 04:32 PM

That looks like meundo! :D

I bought the beef stew meat, but forgot that I had a roast I was making today! :doh: :crazy1:

Roast has been in the oven an hour and it smells yummy! :)

I_Do_Care
01-31-2009, 05:00 PM
I miss home cooked meals :(

pirate4state
01-31-2009, 07:50 PM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/mexmustangs04/DSC_0030.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/mexmustangs04/DSC_0032.jpg

Did you make the tortillas too? :D Nice presentation. :nerd:

Gontex
02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I like to make mine using a ratio of about 2/1 of beef/pork. Pork gives it a little different texture without changing the taste very much. Dump in the cumin. You can't put too much of that stuff in there for me. I'm thinking of putting a bottle of Shiner Bock in my next pot. It kind of spices up my beans when I cook them. It should be ready about half time. Go Cards.

GreenMonster
02-01-2009, 08:20 PM
http://www.fiestaspices.com/images/products/carneguisadaseasoning.jpg.

I bought me some of this and some stew meat a few minutes ago. Looks like carne guisada is gonna be on the menu tomorrow night!

DU_stud04
02-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Did you make the tortillas too? :D Nice presentation. :nerd: thanks :)

and it was delicious :D the tortillas were only for presentation though hahaha, i can make home made ones when i feel like showing off.