PDA

View Full Version : Martellus Bennett, holla!

Electus Unus
01-29-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1168128.html

IRVING -- Tight end Martellus Bennett might be the first Dallas Cowboys player to feel the wrath of the team’s new get-tough plan.

The Cowboys are looking into ways to discipline and/or fine Martellus Bennett for a profanity-laced YouTube video he put out earlier this week on his own channel Marty B TV, according to two sources.

In the video, Bennett did a freestyle rap with Dessie Brown to the song "Get Money" where he used profanity and invoked the names of owner Jerry Jones, tight end Jason Witten and quarterback Tony Romo. Bennett used derogatory terms toward blacks and gays.

He wore an autographed Cowboys helmet during the rap.

The team has addressed the situation with Bennett and the video, which had 23,970 views, has since been removed.

The Cowboys, however, are considering getting some money from Bennett under the conduct detrimental to the team clause, a source said.

Bennett’s agent Kennard McGuire said he has addressed the video with his client, but he had no knowledge of the Cowboys taking any action against the former Texas A&M star.

The video controversy is the latest of what was a scrutinized first season for Bennett, who got off on the wrong foot right from the beginning when the Cowboys made him a second-round draft pick. His draft-day comment about Romo’s girlfriend resulted in an immediate rebuke from tight ends coach John Garrett.

Throughout training camp he was criticized for his laid-back and fun-loving demeanor. He was dogged by accusations that he lacked passion for the game. Although he had a solid season on the field -- he caught 20 passes for 283 yards and four touchdowns -- his laid-back attitude remained an issue. According to two sources, he was challenged to a fight by special teams captain Keith Davis, who didn’t appreciate Bennett’s laissez-faire style.

It was a familiar point a view.

"He’s young. It’s pure and simple," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said during the season. "He’s just like my dad told me one time, ’If you’d quit trying to be so funny, you might get something done. Get serious with me, will ya?’ My dad told me that, because I needed to quit screwing around."

After a disappointing and embarrassing season in which they have been forced to re-examine how they go about their business, it seems the Cowboys are becoming sterner.

Coach Wade Phillips and owner Jones promised change and more discipline going forward.

Bennett might be the first to feel the wrath of the new policy.

kaorder1999
01-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Im starting to believe Bennett will turn into a problem real quick!

crzyjournalist03
01-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I read somewhere that he's since published an apology rap video.

Emerson1
01-29-2009, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPr912anus

Apology rap

Farmersfan
01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPr912anus

Apology rap

Apparently he apologizes and then blames the media for the problems.........typical. I was listening to 1310 The Ticket while Norm was talking about this video and it was removed while they were discussing it. Someone at Valley Ranch listens to the Ticket.

RedWhiteBlue
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
That's Bennett. :rolleyes:

Bullaholic
01-29-2009, 03:07 PM
T.O, Jr.....:rolleyes:

SWMustang
01-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
T.O, Jr.....:rolleyes:

he be rappin'

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Why is it that an athlete can make it to the top of his game...in this instance the NFL on one of the league's most high profile teams.....making money most of us would kill to make a 1/4 of.......basically, what I can't figure out is why someone, especially pro athletes who make millions already...are so drawn to the "thug life" "gangsta rapper" lifestyle? It literally baffles me.

:confused:

Emerson1
01-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Making a rap is hardly living the "thug life" "gangsta rapper" life style.

What would you rather them to sip on tea and caviar and send their kids to Highland Park?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-29-2009, 06:52 PM
You guys don't even know Martellus. He may seem selfish and arrogant, but he works hard and he does the best he can to succeed and holds nothing back. He's a football player, he didn't sign up to be a role model. I think it's great to be a role model for our youth, but he's a football player first and foremost and that's what he is there to do, play football. Martellus could be doing worse things, and if his ego and stupid rap videos are the worst things he does, then that's a definite positive. Some people praise Romo for his calm and laid-back demeanor but criticize Martellus for it. I guess we have double-standards.

Emerson1
01-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I guess we have double-standards.
I think we all know why some people are judging him differently.

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Making a rap is hardly living the "thug life" "gangsta rapper" life style.

What would you rather them to sip on tea and caviar and send their kids to Highland Park? yes :)

No..wait...you're right....making raps is highly productive and defines a star football player....Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, John Elway, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Dan Marino, etc....I hear they are ALL great rappers and without this talent, they would have never achieved greatness in the NFL.

My point here is...Cowboys fans wonder why they don't win.....it appears that distractions could play a part.....and this is yet ANOTHER distraction. Football players should concentrate on football and leave the rapping to rappers.

:rolleyes:

Emerson1
01-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Making a rap video while sitting at home is not a distraction.

A distraction is a players kid being sick or a player having marriage problems.

I_Do_Care
01-29-2009, 07:36 PM
He rapped with bad words:thinking: lol people are so finicky!

Emerson1
01-29-2009, 07:40 PM
This is just like the NFL though, he will get in trouble but they will turn around and play the music of rappers during pre game.

It's like that player who was fined for promoting his wine business because the NFL said they didn't want to promote alcohol......

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Making a rap video while sitting at home is not a distraction.

A distraction is a players kid being sick or a player having marriage problems. LOL...you're amusing.

RedStorm
01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
You guys don't even know Martellus. He may seem selfish and arrogant, but he works hard and he does the best he can to succeed and holds nothing back. He's a football player, he didn't sign up to be a role model. I think it's great to be a role model for our youth, but he's a football player first and foremost and that's what he is there to do, play football. Martellus could be doing worse things, and if his ego and stupid rap videos are the worst things he does, then that's a definite positive. Some people praise Romo for his calm and laid-back demeanor but criticize Martellus for it. I guess we have double-standards.

Just cause your an Aggie...and he's an Aggie...you don't have to stick up for a thug. Texas isnt the only team/school that produces thugs...look at Javorskie 3 kids, 3 different women.

I_Do_Care
01-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by RedStorm
J...look at Javorskie 3 kids, 3 different women. that makes him a thug?

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Just cause your an Aggie...and he's an Aggie...you don't have to stick up for a thug. Texas isnt the only team/school that produces thugs...look at Javorskie 3 kids, 3 different women. just would like to chime in here....the SCHOOLS are not PRODUCING thugs....if anything they're recruiting them. The way they were raised, family influences and guideance (or lack there of)and the environment which they grew up in are what shapes these people into what they are....not the University they attend. ESPECIALLY being there on an athletic scholarship. You can have athletic talent and still be a detriment to society....that's where many seem to not be able to read between the lines....being a good athlete does give someone a free pass in life to be a derelict. Not pointing any fingers at Bennett, or Lane or anyone for that matter....just saying.

Electus Unus
01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Just cause your an Aggie...and he's an Aggie...you don't have to stick up for a thug. Texas isnt the only team/school that produces thugs...look at Javorskie 3 kids, 3 different women. I don't think either are thugs.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Just cause your an Aggie...and he's an Aggie...you don't have to stick up for a thug. Texas isnt the only team/school that produces thugs...look at Javorskie 3 kids, 3 different women.

He's a former teammate and he's a friend. And yes, I'm going to stick up for him because I know him on a personal level and he is not a bad person. Just because he has three different children with three different women doesn't mean that he's a thug, it just means that you have poor reasoning skills and are irrational.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Just because he has three different children with three different women doesn't mean that he's a thug, it just means that you have poor reasoning skills and are irrational.

Gary I have no idea what all y'all are talking about but that last sentance just made me laugh my a$$ for some reason.

RedWhiteBlue
01-30-2009, 11:43 AM
He's a former teammate and he's a friend. And yes, I'm going to stick up for him because I know him on a personal level and he is not a bad person. Just because he has three different children with three different women doesn't mean that he's a thug, it just means that you have poor reasoning skills and are irrational.
Poor reasoning skills and irrational because he doesn't choose to use birth control??? IMO- I think that is called stupidity, unless he planned to have 3 children with 3 different women.:thinking:
Of course, I don't know him personally like you do....

RedWhiteBlue
01-30-2009, 11:45 AM
As for Bennett, I had the pleasure of meeting him at an All-star basketball game his senior year. He looked at my husband and asked, "so, what are you doing with him?".... I knew right there that he had a way with words....:doh: :eek:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Poor reasoning skills and irrational because he doesn't choose to use birth control??? IMO- I think that is called stupidity, unless he planned to have 3 children with 3 different women.:thinking:
Of course, I don't know him personally like you do....

I was talking about that poster, not about Jorvorskie, who too has poor reasoning skills when it comes to eating and his sexual endeavors.

pirate4state
01-30-2009, 12:40 PM
OH GOOD GRIEF is ALL I have to say

Texasfootball2
01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I was talking about that poster, not about Jorvorskie, who too has poor reasoning skills when it comes to eating and his sexual endeavors.

Having 3 kids with three different women is just down right being irresponsible. One child:doh: in this day and age you can look at it as poor reasoning and carelessness, but I'm sorry:thinking: "3 kids" with "3 women", that being totally irresponsible.

To what extent or role does he play in the lives of these children????? and how much financial support is he able to provide, after all they are on this earth because of him too.

An as for Bennett. It's one thing to make a rap video in your spare time in the offseason. I have no problem with it. But he has to use better judgement about the type of words and accusations that are in the lyrics. Especially when you are a highly paid athlete for and organization that operates under a microscope as far as the rest of the sports world is concerned, and every little incedent is blown out of context. Crap it's not like he hasn't had a front row seat for the last five months about what happens with the Cowboys. He either not very smart, or he makes a habit of using poor judgement. Either way, if he wants to continue his football career he might want to use better judgement.

And I didn't say he was a bad guy, I have no way of knowing either way, but I do think IMO that he showed some poor judgement in his choice of words or lyrics that he used.

Emerson1
01-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Someone link to the video

coach
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
larry bird had a few illegitamate children does that make him a thug?

coach
01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
also give j train a break he grew up in lufkin

I_Do_Care
01-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by coach
larry bird had a few illegitamate children does that make him a thug? you see, but, um, thats different! :D

I_Do_Care
01-30-2009, 03:11 PM
also give j train a break he grew up in lufkin lot of stange in Lufkin? :thinking:

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-30-2009, 06:28 PM
larry bird had a few illegitamate children does that make him a thug?

haha

http://bp0.blogger.com/_eZdoK4MIFlQ/RgHpEwxOAqI/AAAAAAAAAZs/8MMSm189C_c/s400/Picture+3.png

Def thug 4 life

rancher
01-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Bennett is the typical Alief School dist. product. That area of town you risk your life, gang violence is a way of life. If anyone knows now retired Hastings Coach Bobby Stewart, ask him, he will openly tell you best talent in the state, however the kids could not make a passing grade or SAT score for college. Ask any of the Katy teams their experience at Crump Stadium.

cameron91
01-30-2009, 07:26 PM
having three kids , with three different women isn't bad. but having three kids , with three different men is bad..:(