PDA

View Full Version : Softball vs. Baseball Practice

jockcity33
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
I have noticed since my daughter is in HIgh School and playing softball, that their practices last any where from 1 hour to One and a half hours. While Baseball practice takes anywhere from 2 to 3 hours, is that the same everywhere?

pancho villa
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Girls don't have the stamina for the long practices like the boys.

KngKongInDTrunk
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Our Softball goes from 430-630

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Girls don't have the stamina for the long practices like the boys. :doh: Pancho, Pancho, Pancho... :tisk:

Looking4number8
01-29-2009, 11:57 AM
It all depends on the coach. When my daughter was a Fresman both JV and Varsity practiced from 4:30 to around 7PM. They really pushed the maxium hours allowed.

The last two years the coach had JV from 4:30 to 6 and the Varsity for 5:00 to 6:30.

This year we have another new coach (which my daughter thinks is great) and looks like we are going to be back to the using the max time allowed.

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
It all depends on the coach. When my daughter was a Fresman both JV and Varsity practiced from 4:30 to around 7PM. They really pushed the maxium hours allowed.

The last two years the coach had JV from 4:30 to 6 and the Varsity for 5:00 to 6:30.

This year we have another new coach (which my daughter thinks is great) and looks like we are going to be back to the using the max time allowed.

We have always used the max time. Hell, we even had someone try to report that we were out there too long. :rolleyes:

RedWhiteBlue
01-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Girls don't have the stamina for the long practices like the boys.
I think its just that the girls get out there and the get the job done. The boys are out there jacking around and goofing off... :rolleyes: :devil:

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
I think its just that the girls get out there and the get the job done. The boys are out there jacking around and goofing off... :rolleyes: :devil: HAHAHA my thoughts exactly...as soon as I hit reply I wanted to go back & edit to add this, but the moment had passed. :D Glad you picked up the slack! :thumbsup:

I. B. Watching
01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Maybe the girls are smarter and catch on faster:D

Looking4number8
01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
We have always used the max time. Hell, we even had someone try to report that we were out there too long. :rolleyes:

That's probably why your gals always seem to win too!

Looking4number8
01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I think its just that the girls get out there and the get the job done. The boys are out there jacking around and goofing off... :rolleyes: :devil:

Originally posted by pirate4state
HAHAHA my thoughts exactly...as soon as I hit reply I wanted to go back & edit to add this, but the moment had passed. :D Glad you picked up the slack! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by I. B. Watching
Maybe the girls are smarter and catch on faster:D

Hmmmm.... seems like you three should just calm down a little... I gonna have to sick Lion Addict on ya...

Electus Unus
01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
I think it is ridiculous that baseball practice can last that long for a stand around sport. In my opinion softball is better than baseball because there is more action and it is a faster pace. Plus you can't go wrong with the ladies either, well some of them you can.

Looking4number8
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
I think it is ridiculous that baseball practice can last that long for a stand around sport. In my opinion softball is better than baseball because there is more action and it is a faster pace. Plus you can't go wrong with the ladies either, well some of them you can.

Now see... Their is a man who puts thoughts into his post... Learn something RWB!

RedWhiteBlue
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Now see... Their is a man who puts thoughts into his post... Learn something RWB!
Huh? :confused: If you will read what I posted I was actually complimenting your daughter....:doh:
Or is it because you know what I said was true about you??:rolleyes:

Bearkat
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
One reason baseball practices can be longer:

At SOME schools there are 3 baseball teams and only 2 softball teams. JV and Varstiy usually practice together while the freshman or sophomore teams will practice alone. If there is only one field to use the sophomore team may practice for the first hour and then the JV and Varsity will practice after for 2 hours. It's only long for the coaches.

Looking4number8
01-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Huh? :confused: If you will read what I posted I was actually complimenting your daughter....:doh:
Or is it because you know what I said was true about you??:rolleyes:

I got it, I am just bored and trying to pick a fight! Usualy LA chimes in and really gets it going. He must have a sargent looking over his shoulder today!

Bearkat
01-29-2009, 01:17 PM

You obviously don't fully understand the game of baseball. Sure you may know some of the basic rules but you probably don't understand the game within the game. If you did, you wouldn't make such a comment like, "I think it is ridiculous that baseball practice can last that long for a stand around sport." Baseball is about preparation. In order to be a good team you have to prepare for any situation that may occur. These things take time. You have 1st and 3rd situations. You have PFP (pitching and fielding practice), you have picks, you have run downs, you have out field drills, and you have batting practice. Oh, batting practice is nothing like little league. You have to cover situational hitting. Bunting, hit and runs, leads at all bases, and proper base running. Then you have to work with your pitchers. Most schools around the state will have 1 or 2 good pitchers. Usually, these pitchers are also a position player. Once the pitchers finish their conditioning they have to throw a bullpen. Bullpens are not long but you look for near perfection in them. Then comes the work with the catchers. Catchers have to work on blocking and receiving the ball. They work on framing and calling the pitches. They are often called upon to call the defense that you will be running. This takes time. Now, some of this work can be done while you are going through PFP or other drills, but it takes time. Remember, all of this is done with 3-4 coaches and has to be done for 2 or 3 teams. I hope you can understand why baseball practice can take up to or over 2 hours a day.

pancho villa
01-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
You obviously don't fully understand the game of baseball. Sure you may know some of the basic rules but you probably don't understand the game within the game. If you did, you wouldn't make such a comment like, "I think it is ridiculous that baseball practice can last that long for a stand around sport." Baseball is about preparation. In order to be a good team you have to prepare for any situation that may occur. These things take time. You have 1st and 3rd situations. You have PFP (pitching and fielding practice), you have picks, you have run downs, you have out field drills, and you have batting practice. Oh, batting practice is nothing like little league. You have to cover situational hitting. Bunting, hit and runs, leads at all bases, and proper base running. Then you have to work with your pitchers. Most schools around the state will have 1 or 2 good pitchers. Usually, these pitchers are also a position player. Once the pitchers finish their conditioning they have to throw a bullpen. Bullpens are not long but you look for near perfection in them. Then comes the work with the catchers. Catchers have to work on blocking and receiving the ball. They work on framing and calling the pitches. They are often called upon to call the defense that you will be running. This takes time. Now, some of this work can be done while you are going through PFP or other drills, but it takes time. Remember, all of this is done with 3-4 coaches and has to be done for 2 or 3 teams. I hope you can understand why baseball practice can take up to or over 2 hours a day.

Are you kidding me? 3 guys are doing something while 8 stand around, that takes are $&%$load of practice.

pancho villa
01-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Them girls need to pratice doing the dishes or cooking, something they can do well.

jockcity33
01-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Are you kidding me? 3 guys are doing something while 8 stand around, that takes are $&%$load of practice.

Dude that just shows that you know absolutely nothing about the game of baseball...we play with 9 guys on the field, and you are talking about 11 people on your team.

Electus Unus
01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
You obviously don't fully understand the game of baseball. Sure you may know some of the basic rules but you probably don't understand the game within the game. If you did, you wouldn't make such a comment like, "I think it is ridiculous that baseball practice can last that long for a stand around sport." Baseball is about preparation. In order to be a good team you have to prepare for any situation that may occur. These things take time. You have 1st and 3rd situations. You have PFP (pitching and fielding practice), you have picks, you have run downs, you have out field drills, and you have batting practice. Oh, batting practice is nothing like little league. You have to cover situational hitting. Bunting, hit and runs, leads at all bases, and proper base running. Then you have to work with your pitchers. Most schools around the state will have 1 or 2 good pitchers. Usually, these pitchers are also a position player. Once the pitchers finish their conditioning they have to throw a bullpen. Bullpens are not long but you look for near perfection in them. Then comes the work with the catchers. Catchers have to work on blocking and receiving the ball. They work on framing and calling the pitches. They are often called upon to call the defense that you will be running. This takes time. Now, some of this work can be done while you are going through PFP or other drills, but it takes time. Remember, all of this is done with 3-4 coaches and has to be done for 2 or 3 teams. I hope you can understand why baseball practice can take up to or over 2 hours a day. I know quite a bit about baseball and have played it all my life up until my sophomore year when I got bored with the sport and realized it takes up more time than any other sport I've played except maybe football but football is an awesome sport with a lot of detail involved. Then again I chose track over baseball because it utilized my talents and helped my speed in football so I figured it was the smart thing to do.

pancho villa
01-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by jockcity33
Dude that just shows that you know absolutely nothing about the game of baseball...we play with 9 guys on the field, and you are talking about 11 people on your team.

Dude 1 pitcher 1 batter 1 catcher and 8 standing around. That is 3 doing something and 8 standing around. Just showes how little you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The on deck hitter is the 8th standaround.

jockcity33
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Dude 1 pitcher 1 batter 1 catcher and 8 standing around. That is 3 doing something and 8 standing around. Just showes how little you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The on deck hitter is the 8th standaround.

oh I'm sorry mr. knowitall, maybe I will just have my fielders just stand there and do nothing during the game, maybe that is why we haven't been winning state championships, we have actually been moving around trying to get into position according to location of the pitch or due to the way the opposing batter has been hitting a particular pitch.

why don't you go back to the track and yell run fast and turn left. There is way more standing around done at the track than there is in any baseball game. I mean how hard is it to run 11 seconds and then rest for 45 minutes to an hour before you have to go run 24 seconds in the 200, and then rest another hour or 2 and hopefully make the finals so you can do the same thing again.

pancho villa
01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
oh I'm sorry mr. knowitall, maybe I will just have my fielders just stand there and do nothing during the game, maybe that is why we haven't been winning state championships, we have actually been moving around trying to get into position according to location of the pitch or due to the way the opposing batter has been hitting a particular pitch.

why don't you go back to the track and yell run fast and turn left. There is way more standing around done at the track than there is in any baseball game. I mean how hard is it to run 11 seconds and then rest for 45 minutes to an hour before you have to go run 24 seconds in the 200, and then rest another hour or 2 and hopefully make the finals so you can do the same thing again.

Don't cry to me cause standaround is the game non-athletes play!

jockcity33
01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
oh so guys like Bo Jackson, Dion Sanders, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, those guys are non-athletes

pancho villa
01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
oh so guys like Bo Jackson, Dion Sanders, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, those guys are non-athletes

Yep!

jockcity33
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
How long does it take for a track meet to run off? And approximately how long does each participant actually do something?

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
pancho caught a big one

i hope yall are both laughing, i know i am!

scrub c
01-29-2009, 02:58 PM
How long does it take for a track meet to run off? And approximately how long does each participant actually do something?

Standaroun sponsers always get their feelings hurt cause their sport is so boring!

RedWhiteBlue
01-29-2009, 03:01 PM
I personally do not like baseball- at all. Unless my 7 year old is playing little league. :D
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that baseball is more boring than golf.....:thinking:

jockcity33
01-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
Standaroun sponsers always get their feelings hurt cause their sport is so boring!

At least we know how to spell.

Phil C
01-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Everyone knows how much I support our Sinton softball team but this arguing overlooks one thing regarding Sinton. Our baseball team has won 3 state championships but unfortunately our softball teams have won none. Also our boys basketball team has won a state title. I wish our girls could get one in sports.

:(

Phil C
01-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I will add that I have confidence that we have great baseball and softball coaches that know what they are doing regarding the sports and the practice time needed.

GO PIRATES AND LADY PIRATES!

RedWhiteBlue
01-29-2009, 03:34 PM
At least we know how to spell.
I think some of that is just "Pancho" talk.....:thinking:

jockcity33
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I think some of that is just "Pancho" talk.....:thinking:

maybe but I was quoting "scrub c"

LH Panther Mom
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I know quite a bit about baseball and have played it all my life up until my sophomore year when I got bored with the sport
Sitting on the bench does tend to get boring. :devil:

pancho villa
01-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Standaround practice starts today across the state. The AD asked me this morning do you want to go to standaround, and water dirt practice, or go mow the football practice field with me? We both laughed and put gas in the mower.

Bearkat
01-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Now that is funny!!! Funny, but also very true!!!

Bearkat
01-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Standaround practice starts today across the state. The AD asked me this morning do you want to go to standaround, and water dirt practice, or go mow the football practice field with me? We both laughed and put gas in the mower.

Hey Pancho, you should have been a real pal and went to baseball practice and mowed the outfield.

pancho villa
01-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Pancho, you should have been a real pal and went to baseball practice and mowed the outfield.

I guess then I could water some dirt and rake the basepaths.

Bearkat
01-30-2009, 11:20 AM
The key is not having dirt base paths. There's a lot to be said for grass. No dirt, no need to rake.

MN95
01-30-2009, 11:22 AM

There is some merit to this point. I have heard it said a woman can accomplish in 2 minutes of bathroom time what takes most men 20 minutes and the sports page. (I am guilty):D

MN95
01-30-2009, 11:26 AM

I know a little something about baseball and agree that a good team will routinely cover all of these things in practice. However, with the exception of leads and pick off plays, why would a softball team not need to cover all of the same things?

pancho villa
01-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Our standaround sponser is breaking out his new deluxe bucket today! Man is he fired up.

PutMeInCoach
01-30-2009, 12:12 PM
They do, they just don't do it everyday. Many times coaches combine certain aspects they want to work on into 1 drill so there is little to no standing around. Here is one our coach did for us last year and it was a lot of fun. Hope I explain it right...kind of confusing, but no one was standing around. We were tired and it pushed us mentally.

Example, of one drill with both the JV and Varsity teams present.

OF in positions, IF on bases, cut positions(middle IF only) or batting depending on Round. Any other extras will catch in for batters. (

Round 1: (no 1st basemen, they are hitters)
LF fields, throws Home
CF fields, throws 3rd
RF fields, throws 2nd

Round 2: (no 3rd basemen, they are hitters)
LF fields, throws 2nd
CF fields, throws Home
RF, fields throws 1st

Round 3: (half of extra SS and 2nd basemen hit)
LF fields, throws 3rd
CF fields, throws 2nd
RF, fields throws Home

Round 4: Round 3: (switch of extra SS and 2nd basemen hit)
LF fields, throws 3rd (ball hit more to left center)
CF fields, throws 1st (ball hit more towards right center, mainly for working on throws)
RF, fields throws Home

Then the drill is reversed (OF come in and hit to IF working different aspects of the game).

Oh, meanwhile, the pitchers and catcher were working in the bullpen.

Bearkat
01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by MN95
I know a little something about baseball and agree that a good team will routinely cover all of these things in practice. However, with the exception of leads and pick off plays, why would a softball team not need to cover all of the same things?

I'm sure they (softball team) do cover all of those things. I'm not sure where you are going with this. My only reasoning for baseball lasting longer than softball was the amount of teams. At some schools, there are 3 baseball teams compared to 2 softball teams. In the quote above I was just explaining how a baseball practice could take 2 or more hours to complete.

Bearkat
01-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Our standaround sponser is breaking out his new deluxe bucket today! Man is he fired up.

I prefer the bucket of sun flower seeds. It's a great seat and you don't have to go back to the dugout when you need a new bag of seeds. Just pop the top and enjoy.

themsu97
01-30-2009, 01:47 PM
our stand around sponser is wearing his pants and shades today while teaching and sitting on the bucket in class...

he was as happy as Pancho is at a Mexican buffet...

question is... if Pancho was on a lawnmower... how durable are those shocks?

pancho villa
01-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I hear the standaround sponser at Wharton just broke out his X-Small pants for todays practice.