PDA

View Full Version : Another freakin Cowboy in the news

piratebg
01-29-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=1ECE16AF-D0D1-ADBD-FA34B16BFC80CF99

On & Off The Field
Charity Work Wins Witten Neighborhood MVP
Josh Ellis - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
January 28, 2009 4:00 PM

IRVING, Texas - Jason Witten fought through injury after injury during the 2008 season, cracked ribs, ankle problems, you name it. But pain never slowed his efforts in contributing to the community during his downtime.

The Cowboys tight end was named The Home Depot NFL Neighborhood MVP in Tampa on Wednesday, while he and six other finalists for the philanthropic award helped volunteers build a KaBOOM! playground near the site of Super Bowl XLIII.

"It's an honor to have been selected for this very special award representing the Cowboys, the NFL and Home Depot," Witten said. "Participating in the Home Depot event in Dallas last fall was great for me personally because giving back to my community in Dallas and back home in Tennessee is a big part life for me and my family. Winning on the field is what we work towards as a team but for me, winning off the field and helping others is what I strive to do all year long."

Witten was among 17 NFL players honored by the home improvement retailer in 2008, one for each week of the season. On Sept. 23 he joined volunteers to build a playground for students at the Inspired Vision Academy Charter school of Dallas.

By winning the postseason award through an online poll, he earned a $25,000 donation for his S.C.O.R.E. Foundation, which provides support and assistance for families and individuals affected by domestic violence. The foundation, created in 2007, seeks to aid the recovery of those who have been victims of abuse, and to break the cycle of violence through educational and mentoring programs in Texas women's shelters.

Witten has been generous with his time since joining the Cowboys as a third-round pick in 2003. He has since opened the Jason Witten Media Center at the Boys & Girls Club of Dallas and the Jason Witten Literacy Center in his hometown of Elizabethton, Tenn.

Active as a spokesman for United Way and the NFL's Play 60 initiative, Witten also participates in a number of other charity events locally. He was one of four league finalists for the NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year Award in 2007.

Witten is the second recipient of the Neighborhood MVP Award. Buccaneers running back Warrick Dunn was honored after the 2007 season.

waterboy
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
At least this time it's positive press.:thumbsup:

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I think we need a picture! :inlove:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/wittenx.jpg

Sweetwater Red
01-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
At least this time it's positive press.:thumbsup:

I guess one good apple out of forty-five ain't bad.:rolleyes:

:evillol:

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 12:15 PM
and it's positive! That's a pleasant change from the norm. :clap:

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I guess one good apple out of forty-five ain't bad.:rolleyes:

:evillol:

:tongue:

We have more than one good apple and while we may not win playoff games, at least we win games!

:devil:

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:tongue:

We have more than one good apple and while we may not win playoff games, at least we win games!

:devil: except for the ones that count. :devil:

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
except for the ones that count. :devil:

yeah, that doesn't happen to any other team either

Electus Unus
01-29-2009, 12:42 PM
yeah, that doesn't happen to any other team either But not every team has the talent that the Cowboys has and it is a shame that they aren't winning the ones that count especially when the teams star player, Tony Romo, is the one blowing those games for the most part.

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 12:58 PM
yeah, that doesn't happen to any other team either LOL....you will argue about anything....you made a smartarse post with devil horns....I did the same....nothing more....so relax. :D

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
But not every team has the talent that the Cowboys has and it is a shame that they aren't winning the ones that count especially when the teams star player, Tony Romo, is the one blowing those games for the most part.

it is a shame they aren't winning as to the rest of your post
:blahblah: :blahblah:

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LOL....you will argue about anything....you made a smartarse post with devil horns....I did the same....nothing more....so relax. :D HAHA & I suppose you don't argue about ANYTHING! R-I-G-H-T

besides, Red is a fan of the Detroit Lions and I couldn't pass that one up :p

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 01:04 PM
it is a shame they aren't winning as to the rest of your post
:blahblah: :blahblah: you mean.....all of that stuff...like glaringly obvious and logical reasons as to WHY they aren't winning..... that only we outsiders and non-homers seem to be able to see? Heaven forbid we talk about or even bring up why we think they aren't winning.....let's all play along like "real" Cowboys fans, acknowledge they are losing, but not have any insight as to why because it hurts our feelings. :thinking: :rolleyes:

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
HAHA & I suppose you don't argue about ANYTHING! R-I-G-H-T

besides, Red is a fan of the Detroit Lions and I couldn't pass that one up :p PM inbound your way.

Sweetwater Red
01-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Red is a fan of the Detroit Lions and I couldn't pass that one up :p

Phil C has already told everyone on this board the curse is over.
So next season...Beware of the howling Lion!:eek: :D

goosealaniz
01-29-2009, 02:53 PM
GO COWBOYS

BwdLions
01-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Until Jerry stops signing every suspended player and proven thug in the league, the Cowboys will continue to struggle. It takes more than talent to make a team.

Jason Witten is one of the good guys on the team and deserves the recognition and awards he gets.