PDA

View Full Version : D25 Rivalries

STAggie
01-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Decided to make a new thread on this topic since the Bellville people get so up in arms over anything other than Bellville being discussed in their topics :D .

Anway, why is there so much hate between all the teams in this district. Sealy/Bellville Sealy/Columbus Bellville/Columbus Sealy/La Grange Bellville/La Grange Giddings/La Grange Giddings/Smithville and a new one brewing after evens from the football game and first basketball game this year Sealy/Giddings. All of these teams not only want to beat each other but have a mutual dislike for one another. Are there any reasons for this other than proximity and number of times these teams have played?

Bone Pile
01-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Coaches have a lot to do with that. Especially when some of them(earlier years) act the way they do,it just bleeds over. Also most of these teams used to play each other back in the 60's-70's and they are out to prove something. A lot of the dads of these players used to play each other way back when. I'm sure the dads do some pumping at home too.

Bulligator
01-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't think it's as much hate as bragging rights. As for the fights, back in my old days (60's - 70's), there were a lot more teen dances everywhere. All of the towns you mentioned had athletes and others at these dances. Most of the fights were settled at these events rather than after games. Actually, most people went to the dances to watch or fight, rather than dance. And, eh, check out the girls. There also used to be some pretty good girl fights back then.

Most of the time after it was over, everybody shook hands and said we would see you next week at the football game, track meet, whatever, and whup your arse again.

And as Bone said, there are some 3rd and 4th generation kids that inherit their parents dislike. And how often have you ever heard one of the old locals have anything good to say about any of the other towns you mentioned?

I don't think that the teens these days have much to do other than going to the movies or pasture parties.

957tiger
02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
I think the increase in game fighting is a result of smack talking. Some schools are just better at it than others. Schools that have coaches who keep a thumb on smack, usually don't fare well during the occassional fight. As they say " it's always the second punch thrown" that gets noticed. And it seems the more you are winning and dominating, the more trash gets talked.

If your school has a zero tolerence for certain violations and for the most part you abide or else by these , and you find yourself dealing with a less disciplined team it is a good possibilty that a fight or two will break out. On every team there is the one athlete who starts the fights in school, and on the field, BUT happens to be a coach favorite and knows it, he will push as far as he can. We all have seen the player ejected for whatever reason who never caused problems yet the above mentioned player rides just below the radar screen.

allforball
02-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Too much body language on the floor by the players. Emotions need to be controlled on the court. It's good to see kids passionate for the game, but they have to understand how to keep those emotions to themself and continue to just play the game without the added body language.

Johnny Utah
02-01-2009, 04:21 PM
THere is no need for it, and should not be tolerated and if it does happen on the floor, playing field, track, or where ever it should be stopped and those responsible should be disciplined. That includes players and coaches. Regardless of who they are or where they are from. Is it a proper life lesson? I just got beat therefore I can start a fight cause they are wrong for talking smack to me and my teammates? Ridiculous.