PDA

View Full Version : Sports Mt. Rushmore for Texas

DUKE22
01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I saw this on a show sometime this week.

If there was a Mt. Rushmore for sports in Texas who would be the four faces on the Mountain.

I am going to go with NOLAN RYAN, EMMITT SMITH, ROGER STAUBACH, AND TIM DUNCAN.

wildstangs
01-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Vince Young - Also a native Texan.

Sweetwater Red
01-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Tom Landry:thinking:

DUKE22
01-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Vince Young - Also a native Texan. So you are going to put Vince Young up there four times. They dont have to be born in Texas or anything like that. Just four stars that played in the state at some point.

Pmoney
01-28-2009, 11:55 AM
mine would be....Emmitt Smith...Nolan Ryan...Earl Campbell...and Hakeem Olajuwon

Mace Griffin
01-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I would say... Earl Campbell, Troy Aikman, Tim Duncan, "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias

wildstangs
01-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
So you are going to put Vince Young up there four times. They dont have to be born in Texas or anything like that. Just four stars that played in the state at some point.

No, I would add others. Just thinking about who else would deserve a spot. Where we building this thing? Palo Duro Canyon? :thinking:

Trashman
01-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Tom Landry:thinking:

Ditto! and maybe Babe Zaharias!

carve it into Echanted Rock!

wildstangs
01-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Ok, after much deliberation here is my list.

Vince Young - Texan, lead Texas to undefeated national championship in a win over the best team ever according to ESPN and Matt Leinart.

Sammy Baugh - Another Texan who led TCU to a championship, and holds NFL records that will never be broken.

Emmitt Smith - The face of the Dallas Cowboys teams that won 3 championships in the 90's.

Tim Duncan - Has led the Spurs to multiple championships. I am a Lakers fan, but I respect Duncan and the Spurs.

Close consideration given to - Troy Aikman, David Robinson, Tom Landry, Nolan Ryan, and Earl Campbell.

icu812
01-28-2009, 12:30 PM
There are so many greats that have played sports in Texas. So in order to narrow the list to me anyway you at least must have graduated from a Texas high school to on this list.

Tom Landry
Nolan Ryan
Earl Campbell
George Foreman

a couple greats just missing the cut: "Bum" Phillips & Don Merridith

Pmoney
01-28-2009, 12:33 PM
okay I know these are opinions but...I am wondering why Hakeem is being picked over by Duncan?

Name-Points-Reb-Blocks

Hakeem-26946-13747-3830

Tim-18701-10199-2074

Awards

Hakeem-2x NBA Champs, 1 NBA MVP, 2x Finals MVP, 2x Def PoY

Tim-4x NBA Champs, 2x NBA MVP, 3x Finals MVP

Obviously Duncan's Awards surpass Olajuwon's but the stats tell a different story. I couldn't find how many games Olajuwon has played...I found Duncan's and it was 868...and also Olajuwon took the Houston Cougars to the Finals while Duncan did not take the Wake Forest Deacons to the Finals...Now I have respect for both of these players I just believe Olajuwon is being overlooked in this mythical Mt Rushmore

Black_Magic
01-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Tom Landry, Lance Armstrong, Nolan Ryan, Daryl Royal

icu812
01-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Hakeem was better than Duncan.

Both aren't even from the United States, not sure how you put them on a Texas greats list but whatever...

Heck M.Jordan played a few games in Texas put him on the list.

Hadn't thought about Lance Armstrong but that is a good one.

Pmoney
01-28-2009, 12:52 PM
well if we go by native Texans than....It would be Lance Armstrong, Nolan Ryan, Earl Campbell, and I can't believe I forgot his name but the RB that holds the Record for Rushing Yds in HS football, it was something like K. Hill?

coach
01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Tony Romo, Terrel Owens, Jerry Jones, and Wade Phillips :2thumbsup

coach
01-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Vince Young - Also a native Texan.

i wouldnt put vy there yet

icu812
01-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
well if we go by native Texans than....It would be Lance Armstrong, Nolan Ryan, Earl Campbell, and I can't believe I forgot his name but the RB that holds the Record for Rushing Yds in HS football, it was something like K. Hill?

Ken Hall "The Sugarland Express"

ILS1
01-28-2009, 01:06 PM
SLC
Celina
Converse Judson
Odessa Permian

:D :D :D :D

DUKE22
01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
okay I know these are opinions but...I am wondering why Hakeem is being picked over by Duncan?

Name-Points-Reb-Blocks

Hakeem-26946-13747-3830

Tim-18701-10199-2074

Awards

Hakeem-2x NBA Champs, 1 NBA MVP, 2x Finals MVP, 2x Def PoY

Tim-4x NBA Champs, 2x NBA MVP, 3x Finals MVP

Obviously Duncan's Awards surpass Olajuwon's but the stats tell a different story. I couldn't find how many games Olajuwon has played...I found Duncan's and it was 868...and also Olajuwon took the Houston Cougars to the Finals while Duncan did not take the Wake Forest Deacons to the Finals...Now I have respect for both of these players I just believe Olajuwon is being overlooked in this mythical Mt Rushmore PMONEY that what was a close one for me, honestly I could go either way. Not that Hakeem was not a winner but when I think of Tim Duncan I think of a winner plain and simple.

DUKE22
01-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Imagine if you had to do this for New Mexico. With no pro sports franchises, Nancy Lopez, Brian Urlacher, Billy the Kid, and anyone who can walk and chew game at the same time.

IHStangFan
01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Nolan Ryan, Earl Campbell, Lance Armstrong, A.J. Foyt.....

for consideration....

Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, Landry.

Sorry, I just don't think VY's winning of the Nat'l Champ. game even comes close to any of the people listed above. You're trying to compare one game to other athletes who's lifetime achievements outweigh the winning of one game...no matter HOW big....by a mile. Show me VY can finish and be competitive in one season in the NFL...then we'll talk.

Pmoney
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Imagine if you had to do this for New Mexico. With no pro sports franchises, Nancy Lopez, Brian Urlacher, Billy the Kid, and anyone who can walk and chew game at the same time.
well you could use Roger Staubach because he went to NMMI before he went to Navy

I. B. Watching
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Tom Landry, Doak Walker, Babe Didrickson and Fritz Von Eric:)

Black_Magic
01-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Imagine if you had to do this for New Mexico. With no pro sports franchises, Nancy Lopez, Brian Urlacher, Billy the Kid, and anyone who can walk and chew game at the same time. New Mexico.... John Denver, Demi More, John Madden

icu812
01-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Sorry, I just don't think VY's winning of the Nat'l Champ. game even comes close to any of the people listed above. You're trying to compare one game to other athletes who's lifetime achievements outweigh the winning of one game...no matter HOW big....by a mile. Show me VY can finish and be competitive in one season in the NFL...then we'll talk.

I agree with that, except in order to accomplish what the real Mt. Rushmore Texans have achieved he'll need to compete at a high level in the NFL for more than just a season or two.

STANG RED
01-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I've only seen one mention of Sammy Baugh, and nobody has mentioned Ben Hogan. To me those are the two you have to start with. Then I'd go with Tom Landry and Nolan Ryan.
What about Michael Johnson? He was the best in world for many years. He has to get consideration as well.

kepdawg
01-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Why was Mount Rushmore created?

duckhunter
01-28-2009, 02:43 PM
these ut fan's lovefest with vy makes me laugh everytime i see it.....

ILS1
01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
It was built in 1939,
Mount Rushmore National Memorial, near Keystone, South Dakota, is a monumental granite sculpture located within the United States Presidential Memorial that represents the first 150 years of the history of the United States of America with 60-foot (18 m) sculptures of the heads of former United States presidents: George Washington (1732-1799), Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), and Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865).[1] The entire memorial covers 1,278 acres (5.17 km˛),[2] and is 5,725 feet (1,745 m) above sea level.[3] It is managed by the National Park Service, a bureau of the United States Department of the Interior. The memorial attracts approximately 2 million people annually.[4] It was built for country pride

The idea of Mt. Rushmore was conceived in 1924 by State Historian Doane Robinson. He believed that carved faces of western heroes would attract more visitors to the area. After a lengthly lobbying period, in which he tried to persuade government officials to allow and support this art, the Mt. Rushmore project began on October 4, 1927 by Gutzon Borglum.

The faces were finished at seperate times and dedicated as they were finished. George Washington was the first on July 4, 1934 and Thomas Jefferson in 1936. Abraham Lincoln was to follow on September 17, 1937. The last face to be dedicated was Theodore roosevelt in 1939.

The work was still not completed although the faces had been dedicated. Gutzon died in 1941 leaving the work to his son, Lincoln who worked 7 months on the project until funding ran out.

The Mt. rushmore project is as complete as it will ever be, although one could say it was never completely finished.

IHStangFan
01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by icu812
I agree with that, except in order to accomplish what the real Mt. Rushmore Texans have achieved he'll need to compete at a high level in the NFL for more than just a season or two. I agree....I was being fecicious....my point being winning the Nat'l Champ game (one game...at the college level) pales in comparison to what some (most) of the others have accomplished in their lifetimes.

wildstangs
01-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree....I was being fecicious....my point being winning the Nat'l Champ game (one game...at the college level) pales in comparison to what some (most) of the others have accomplished in their lifetimes.

I disagree. He will be a legend in Texas regardless of what he ever does in the pro's. He did something no one at Texas had done in decades - lead the Horns to the national championship and won it in a very exciting manner. I like Nolan Ryan, but putting him on their didn't seem right since he never won a world series. Honestly, did he ever even make it to the world series?

pirate4state
01-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I have a headache just thinking about it. Or maybe it's just thinking about what this thread can turn into.

duckhunter
01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I disagree. He will be a legend in Texas regardless of what he ever does in the pro's. He did something no one at Texas had done in decades - lead the Horns to the national championship and won it in a very exciting manner. I like Nolan Ryan, but putting him on their didn't seem right since he never won a world series. Honestly, did he ever even make it to the world series? false. he will be a legend for UT fans, not the normal state of texas general sports fan.

wildstangs
01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by duckhunter
false. he will be a legend for UT fans, not the normal state of texas general sports fan.

You telling me in a few years that Aggie and Red Raider fans (heck college football fans in general) wont be able to tell you about what Vince Young did while at the University of Texas?

crzyjournalist03
01-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't think of Mt. Rushmore as anything that has to do with greatness as much as it does aura. Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Lincoln--those guys all did things that weren't just great; they did legendary things. They had that charisma where they were respected as much during their time as in retrospect.

For that reason, I think if you were putting together something that was going to represent the same thing to sports in Texas that Mount Rushmore means to our nation, I'd have to go with:

Nolan Ryan
Tom Landry
Roger Staubach
Mike Modano

Now, before you guys go crazy on me for choosing only Dallas guys, I'd argue that Nolan Ryan and Tom Landry are legendary not only in Texas, but across the nation, and they far supersede anybody else I can think of.

I chose Roger Staubach for defining one of the most legendary positions in sports, that of Dallas Cowboys quarterback, which is probably rivaled in mystique only by that of the New York Yankees first baseman.

Mike Modano is probably the most controversial name on the list, but I put him there for breaking ground. He's the face of the Dallas Stars, which really became the team that proved hockey could work in the Sun Belt. He's the all-time leading scorer among American-born players in NHL history, and I'd argue that no sportsperson in Texas right now is more readily reflected as the face of an organization. Without Mike Modano, I'm not sure that the Stars still exist today, and I'm almost positive that Tampa Bay, Nashville, Phoenix, and Miami never get franchises. Heck, high schools now have ice hockey teams in Texas. That never happens without Modano.

Honorable mentions: Tim Duncan, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Mia Hamm

coach
01-28-2009, 03:20 PM
You telling me in a few years that Aggie and Red Raider fans (heck college football fans in general) wont be able to tell you about what Vince Young did while at the University of Texas?
well if he never plays in the nfl he could be remembered as a bust...there are several great college players that never made it in the nfl and there legacy isnt that great. The thing with vy is he his still very young. ppl like troy aikman had a great college career and also a great nfl career. This Mt Rushmore thing is the greatest in the state. I wouldnt put vy in there yet bc i can name about ten guys i would put before him. Sure he is one of the 10 greatest college players ever but he isnt good enough to start in the nfl so no i would not put him in the top 4 yet. He is still very young and has a very promising future and i hope he can become great enough to be in a similar discussion in later on

coach
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I disagree. He will be a legend in Texas regardless of what he ever does in the pro's. He did something no one at Texas had done in decades - lead the Horns to the national championship and won it in a very exciting manner. I like Nolan Ryan, but putting him on their didn't seem right since he never won a world series. Honestly, did he ever even make it to the world series?

but molan has done something no one will ever do...7 no hitters and not to mention several 1 hitters he definately deserves to go there

crzyjournalist03
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by coach
well if he never plays in the nfl he could be remembered as a bust...there are several great college players that never made it in the nfl and there legacy isnt that great. The thing with vy is he his still very young. ppl like troy aikman had a great college career and also a great nfl career. This Mt Rushmore thing is the greatest in the state. I wouldnt put vy in there yet bc i can name about ten guys i would put before him. Sure he is one of the 10 greatest college players ever but he isnt good enough to start in the nfl so no i would not put him in the top 4 yet. He is still very young and has a very promising future and i hope he can become great enough to be in a similar discussion in later on

VY was great in college...that's akin to being a great governor when you're discussing Mt. Rushmore.

crzyjournalist03
01-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Ryan won a World Series in 1969 with the New York Mets.

OldBison75
01-28-2009, 03:35 PM
There should be no argument that Tom Landry, Nolan Ryan, and A.J. Foyt should make the cut. Landry is the face of pro football in Texas. He took a franchise of nobodies in the first few years and built a dynasty. Nolan Ryan has more no-hitters than will ever be seen in baseball again. He also defined the position of power pitcher that all want to be today. He is definitely a baseball icon. In motorsports, A.J. Foyt is a four time Indy 500 winner, a Daytona 500 winner, and probably the most recognized name in the early years of Indy Racing.

For the fourth on the mountain, I think that it would only be right to think Basketball or some other sport. In that regard, I think that Ben Hogan as a golf icon has to be near the top. I could also put Lance Armstrong and Olajawon as possibilities. My vote would have to be Hogan though.

Electus Unus
01-28-2009, 03:41 PM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8131/texasmtrushmorexb9.jpg
Emmitt Smith, Tim Duncan, Tom Landry, and Darrell K Royal(which I'm surprised a lot of you have forgotten).

But that is mine.

wildstangs
01-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Ryan won a World Series in 1969 with the New York Mets.

Had forgotten that. Regardless, winning a championship for a TEXAS team was part of my criteria.

coach
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
here are mine:

Tom Landry: went to 5 Super Bowls...I dont know how many NFC Championship Apperances and a ton of playoff apperances.

Nolan Ryan: 7 no hitters. Dominating fastball and with a helacious circle change....and he beat the hell out of Robin Ventura.

Emmitt Smith: Games all time leading rusher. Has 3 rings. a few rushing titles and MVP's

Darrell K. Royal- Legendary coach. Won 3 natl championships. All around great guy.

Honorable Mention: Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, Michael Johnson, Sammy Baugh, Jerry Jones, Mike Madano, Earl Cambpell, Doak walker...

Future Mt Rushmore's: Adrian Peterson, Vince Young, LaDanian Tomlinson, Josh Hamilton, uhh i cant really think right now..but im sure others will come to mind

PHS Wildcats
01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
You have to Start with Tom Landry. The so called "America's Team wouldn't be who they are without him.

I. B. Watching
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM
To irritate the Sioux. Carved it right in the middle of their sacred land

eagles_victory
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM
ppl like troy aikman had a great college career and also a great nfl career. I dont think you can compare Troys college career to Vince's. Not saying Vince should be there but you cant compare Troys college career to his.

Sorry, I just don't think VY's winning of the Nat'l Champ. game even comes close to any of the people listed above. You're trying to compare one game to other athletes who's lifetime achievements outweigh the winning of one game...no matter HOW big....by a mile. Show me VY can finish and be competitive in one season in the NFL...then we'll talk. I wouldnt say one game the guy went 30-2 as a starter.

Electus Unus
01-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

I wouldnt say one game the guy went 30-2 as a starter. Not to mention the only guy to throw for 3000 and rush for 1000 yards, the two best rose bowl performances ever, and the best BCS championship game/bowl perforance ever.

Bull Butter
01-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I dont think you can compare Troys college career to Vince's. Not saying Vince should be there but you cant compare Troys college career to his.

I wouldnt say one game the guy went 30-2 as a starter.
James Street never lost a game as a starter (20-0) AND won just as many NCs as Vince. Let's put him up there.

Better yet, I know of a college QB from Texas who went 39-0 as a starter and won THREE national championships. Let's put him up there too:)

STANG RED
01-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Here is just a piece of the Ben Hogan bio, but I think it makes it crystal clear that he is one of the all time sports greats period. He is easily one of the top 4 Texan sportsman of all time.

http://www.golflegends.org/ben-hogan.php

BEN HOGAN

In 292 career PGA Tour events, Ben Hogan finished in the Top 3 in 47.6-percent of them. He finished in the Top 10 in 241 of those 292 events.

Hogan was, by most accounts, the greatest golfer of his time, and still stands as one of the greatest of all time. He is arguably the greatest ball-striker ever to play the game; even today, when a player is making great contact with the ball, the term "hitting it like Hogan" will be evoked.

His nine career professional Major Championships tie him (with Gary Player) for fourth all-time, trailing only Jack Nicklaus (18), Walter Hagen (13), and Tiger Woods (10).

The start statistics of Hogan’s career reveal very little of the legend. A total of sixty two USPGA titles and amongst major championships: four US Opens, two US Masters, two USPGA Championships and one British Open, is only half the story. Ben Hogan had so much more to overcome than most in his quest for golfing perfection; the early suicide of his father must have left a profound mark on a young boy, an unsuitably small frame for golf, near poverty for too many years to remember, a temperament completely unable to interact with the fawning galleries - lest it interfere with the shot at hand, (Hogan was no Trevino or Palmer in this regard) the head-on collision with a Greyhound bus and subsequent appalling injuries, embarrassing putting yips and a confounding hook that would rear its ugly head at crucial times in tournaments. For years he felt plagued by the hook and eventual disgust augmented the now famous change to the fade that made him in his best years - virtually invincible!

RMAC
01-29-2009, 12:19 AM

Not as long as UT has fans. They don't go a week without letting the world know about it; don't worry guys, we haven't forgotten yet.:devil: As far as this whole mountain operation: Ben Hogan, DKR, Lance Armstrong, Nolan Ryan.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-29-2009, 02:02 AM

We'll be able to tell you, but we won't say it was "legendary" per say.

OldBison75
01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm a Longhorn fan and I agree that VY was an outstanding QB at the college level, but not a legend. There are many players that are able to be dominant in the College game but are only a little above average at the next level. A true legend in sports will be able to adjust his talent to the level of top competition at any level. If you are only gonna make winning a NC a criteria, there were about 60 other Longhorns on the field that night and they each deserve the same honor. Yes, VY was superb in that game, but take away most any other starter and I think that Texas may not win. He made the big plays when they needed them, but he did not win that game all by himself like some seem to believe.

Texasfootball2
01-29-2009, 09:21 AM
As far as people who are native Texans or associated with Texas, I would have to go with Ben Hogan, Tom Landry, Nolan Ryan, and Earl Campbell.

Black_Magic
01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Who Would you put on a Mount Rushmore for Texas in a hero context? Not a Sports hero... I would Say Sam Houston, Austin, Admiral Nimitz, and maybe LBJ

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
I disagree. He will be a legend in Texas regardless of what he ever does in the pro's. He did something no one at Texas had done in decades - lead the Horns to the national championship and won it in a very exciting manner. I like Nolan Ryan, but putting him on their didn't seem right since he never won a world series. Honestly, did he ever even make it to the world series? Maybe to Longhorn fans......and your view on Nolan Ryan....based on your views of Vince Young, all an athlete has to do is win a championship game and he's a legend....but owning some of MLB's most prestigious pitching records and breaking them well into your 40s is no large feat? I have to STRONGLY disagree w/ you. Nolan Ryan > Vince Young. By FAR!

Texasfootball2
01-29-2009, 12:36 PM
I disagree. He will be a legend in Texas regardless of what he ever does in the pro's. He did something no one at Texas had done in decades - lead the Horns to the national championship and won it in a very exciting manner. I like Nolan Ryan, but putting him on their didn't seem right since he never won a world series. Honestly, did he ever even make it to the world series? Are you kidding. Have you heard of the '69 Miracle Mets. Ryan was a rookie starter on that team. You don't have to have won a National Championship, Super Bowl, or World Series, ect....... to warrant legendary statis. The Oilers never won the Super bowl but I assure you it wasn't because of Earl Campbell. Earl gave it everything he had and then some. One of the biggest legends this state has ever had. You name it, John Tyler HS, Univ. of Tex, or Houston Oilers. Earl was the man and did it with class. If anybody deserves it, Earl certainly does.

wildstangs
01-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Are you kidding. Have you heard of the '69 Miracle Mets. Ryan was a rookie starter on that team. You don't have to have won a National Championship, Super Bowl, or World Series, ect....... to warrant legendary statis. The Oilers never won the Super bowl but I assure you it wasn't because of Earl Campbell. Earl gave it everything he had and then some. One of the biggest legends this state has ever had. You name it, John Tyler HS, Univ. of Tex, or Houston Oilers. Earl was the man and did it with class. If anybody deserves it, Earl certainly does.

Winning a championship for a Texas team was part of my criteria. Ryan won one for the Mets, not the Rangers. If anyone ever wins a championship for the Rangers their face should be carved on the moon. Earl Campbell is a very good choice as well, but college football is bigger today that it has ever been, thats why I included Vince over Earl.

KingRob
01-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Tom Landry
Roger Staubach
Emmitt Smith
Buster Gilbreath

:cool:

goosealaniz
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Tom Landry- Cowboys coach
Jimmy Johnson-Cowboys coach
Emmitt Smith-Cowboys running back
roger staubach-Cowboys Quaterback

i know these are all cowboys... but this is what i think of when i think of Texas sports

ronwx5x
01-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Willy, Lilly, George and Jethro. Nuff said!

coach
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Winning a championship for a Texas team was part of my criteria. Ryan won one for the Mets, not the Rangers. If anyone ever wins a championship for the Rangers their face should be carved on the moon. Earl Campbell is a very good choice as well, but college football is bigger today that it has ever been, thats why I included Vince over Earl.

earl won a championship at texas and he also won a heisman something that vy never did and he actually played in the nfl..To say vy should be in there is stupid imo bc as of right now he cant even start in the nfl.....

wildstangs
01-29-2009, 03:42 PM
earl won a championship at texas and he also won a heisman something that vy never did and he actually played in the nfl..To say vy should be in there is stupid imo bc as of right now he cant even start in the nfl.....

I know that about Earl. No offense at all to Earl. My thinking is that Vince Young is more well known because college football is bigger today than it ever was when Earl playing.

wildstangs
01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Maybe to Longhorn fans......and your view on Nolan Ryan....based on your views of Vince Young, all an athlete has to do is win a championship game and he's a legend....but owning some of MLB's most prestigious pitching records and breaking them well into your 40s is no large feat? I have to STRONGLY disagree w/ you. Nolan Ryan > Vince Young. By FAR!

I like Nolan Ryan. But I am not as big a baseball fan as football, thats one reason I didn't pick him over Vince. And again, he didn't ever bring home a world series to Texas or Houston.

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 04:28 PM
I like Nolan Ryan. But I am not as big a baseball fan as football, thats one reason I didn't pick him over Vince. And again, he didn't ever bring home a world series to Texas or Houston. WOW....that's.....entertaining...because YOU'RE not a baseball fan and you like football more...that validates VY's one NC at the college level as more of an achievement than Ryan's 7 no-hitters, 5000+ strikeouts, etc....and because he didn't bring a MLB Champ. "home to Texas" the one he DID win doesn't count? Write this down.....Nolan Ryan = one of the top 5 best pitchers to ever play the game, VY = 1 COLLEGE NC and has been a bit of a disappointment in the pros to this point. Nolan Ryan > VY

Outside of the UT fan "Vince Young is the second coming of Jesus" crowd.....he's just another College QB that was good in college...and somewhat of a bust in the NFL. (COUGH) Ryan Leaf (COUGH) (COUGH) Tim Couch (COUGH) (COUGH) Andre Ware (COUGH)......get where I'm goin w/ this?

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
I know that about Earl. No offense at all to Earl. My thinking is that Vince Young is more well known because college football is bigger today than it ever was when Earl playing. what the HELL does that have to do w/ who was a BETTER ATHLETE?!?! You're man-crush on VY is spooky.

Let's go this route....who do you think is better known by today's youth.....Lil Wayne or Aerosmith? Which one would you put on a Music Mt. Rushmore? Some rapper who's "in" and popular "right now" or a band that has been around for almost 40 yrs, sold countless albums and is still rocking?

I'm almost scared of your answer here.

pirate4state
01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
nvm

Texasfootball2
01-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Comparing Earl Campbell to Vince Young is like comparing Demi Moore to Britney Speers. Moore has been around for years and is still very popular with a storied career while Britney was a flash in the pan and already having to make a comback in her mid 20's (just like Young is fixing to have to do).

Just thought I would throw in a new wrinkle into the argument.

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
nvm :)

Phantom Stang
01-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Tom Landry, Nolan Ryan, Lance Armstrong, & Terry Funk.

Electus Unus
01-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Comparing Earl Campbell to Vince Young is like comparing Demi Moore to Britney Speers. Moore has been around for years and is still very popular with a storied career while Britney was a flash in the pan and already having to make a comback in her mid 20's (just like Young is fixing to have to do).

Just thought I would throw in a new wrinkle into the argument. the Moore and Spears comparison is worse....Britney is one of the biggest women pop singers ever.

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
the Moore and Spears comparison is worse....Britney is one of the biggest women pop singers ever. She's no Cindy Lauper...but she's alright. :D :p

Phantom Stang
01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
She's no Cindy Lauper...but she's alright. :D :p :spitlol:

wildstangs
01-29-2009, 09:21 PM
what the HELL does that have to do w/ who was a BETTER ATHLETE?!?! You're man-crush on VY is spooky.

Let's go this route....who do you think is better known by today's youth.....Lil Wayne or Aerosmith? Which one would you put on a Music Mt. Rushmore? Some rapper who's "in" and popular "right now" or a band that has been around for almost 40 yrs, sold countless albums and is still rocking?

I'm almost scared of your answer here.

Little touchy about the subject are we? Look, the question was asked who YOU would put on the list. I added my list and gave my reasons. I could care less if you agree or not. Some of you people take this message board WAY to serious.

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Little touchy about the subject are we? Look, the question was asked who YOU would put on the list. I added my list and gave my reasons. I could care less if you agree or not. Some of you people take this message board WAY to serious. Not touchy at all...I think though, that it's laughable that you would put VY in front of some of the best to ever play their perspective sports based on his college career. I think it's even MORE laughable that you picked Nolan Ryan to compare him to. Just because you "like" someone doesn't mean they would belong on such a monument that would ultimately be reserved for the very best of the best. Hell, I was always a HUGE Jeff Bagwell fan, but just because I was a huge fan doesn't skew my vision so much that I'd try to compare him to the baseball elite....i.e. Mantle, Ruth, Aaron, etc. and that's essentially what you've done here in comparing VY to Nolan Ryan and others listed.

I. B. Watching
01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Tom Landry, Nolan Ryan, Lance Armstrong, & Terry Funk.
You like Terry Funk over Fritz Von Eric?:D

wildstangs
01-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Not touchy at all...I think though, that it's laughable that you would put VY in front of some of the best to ever play their perspective sports based on his college career. I think it's even MORE laughable that you picked Nolan Ryan to compare him to. Just because you "like" someone doesn't mean they would belong on such a monument that would ultimately be reserved for the very best of the best. Hell, I was always a HUGE Jeff Bagwell fan, but just because I was a huge fan doesn't skew my vision so much that I'd try to compare him to the baseball elite....i.e. Mantle, Ruth, Aaron, etc. and that's essentially what you've done here in comparing VY to Nolan Ryan and others listed.

Well keep laughing.

IHStangFan
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Well keep laughing. keep making silly comparisons.

RedStorm
01-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm just going to point out hakeem could not be on this hypothetical mountain...i remember he said it was against his faith as a muslim for the rockets to erect a statue of his likeness. just for consideration...

LH Panther Mom
01-29-2009, 10:15 PM
I know that about Earl. No offense at all to Earl. My thinking is that Vince Young is more well known because college football is bigger today than it ever was when Earl playing.
Those of us around when Earl was playing college ball might disagree. :)

Phantom Stang
01-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
You like Terry Funk over Fritz Von Eric?:D
Funkin' A!!!:2thumbsup

buffalo2006
01-30-2009, 12:10 AM
What about Mike Singletary?

I_Do_Care
01-30-2009, 12:15 AM
G$$, T.O., Vince Young and Pac Man Jones

Maroon87
01-30-2009, 03:08 AM
Nolan Ryan, Lance Armstrong, Earl Campbell, and Mike Singletary

Maroon87
01-30-2009, 03:11 AM

Outside of the UT fan "Vince Young is the second coming of Jesus" crowd.....he's just another College QB that was good in college...and somewhat of a bust in the NFL. (COUGH) Ryan Leaf (COUGH) (COUGH) Tim Couch (COUGH) (COUGH) Andre Ware (COUGH)......get where I'm goin w/ this?

How many of those QB's won national titles? Give the guy some credit...the city of Pasadena might hold the pink slip, but Vince owns the Rose Bowl.

I. B. Watching
01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Funkin' A!!!:2thumbsup
Funk would have wanted no part of Fritz's iron claw:)

3afan
01-30-2009, 08:04 AM
any Texas sports mount rushmore must start with Tom Landry, no question

kepdawg
02-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Nolan Ryan, Lance Armstrong, Tom Landry, Earl Campbell

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/scballotpage?eventId=3768)

Hank Aaron and Barry Sanders made 3 states

I may have missed others that did as well

I didn't see anybody with more than 3 states

icu812
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Nolan Ryan, Lance Armstrong, Tom Landry, Earl Campbell

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/scballotpage?eventId=3768)

Hank Aaron and Barry Sanders made 3 states

I may have missed others that did as well

I didn't see anybody with more than 3 states

That was 3 out of my 4 I picked back on pg. 1 of this thread. I had George Foreman in there but upon reflection Lance Armstrong is a better pick. espn got it right in my opinion

Oklahoma, Louisiana, Georgia and Alabama all have some big names considering the size of these states.

Rocket
02-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Gordon Wood?

Honestly people. What Gordon Wood accomplished in his era is pretty much untouchable. And please don't say GA Moore.

"Different time, different circumstances." - G.A. Moore.

9 State Titles. 7 at Brownwood and 2 at Stamford. In a time where only one team from each District made the playoffs.

Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant of Alabama was once asked why he left Texas A&M for the University of Alabama. Bryant said, “I left Texas A&M because my school called me. Mama called, and when Mama calls, then you just have to come running." Bryant had played at Alabama from 1931-1934. Later, Bryant was again asked why he left A&M, and he replied, “I had to leave Texas. As long as Gordon Wood was there, I could never be the best coach in the state.”

STANG RED
02-06-2009, 10:47 PM
As much as I love argueing with you Rocket. I cant come up with a good arguement against Gordon Wood. I think he proved he was the best at what he did.

I just hate that he had to do it in Brownwood. :p :D

Txbroadcaster
02-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Later, Bryant was again asked why he left A&M, and he replied, “I had to leave Texas. As long as Gordon Wood was there, I could never be the best coach in the state.”

You do realize Bryant was gone from A&M BEFORE Wood went to Brownwood

and yes Wood had success at other places, but I think that was typical Bryant folksy comments

as far as the Mt Rushmore thing..I would have no problem with someone like Wood being on it..but I am not sure why u think Wood should be on it, but Moore would not

Rocket
02-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
You do realize Bryant was gone from A&M BEFORE Wood went to Brownwood

and yes Wood had success at other places, but I think that was typical Bryant folksy comments

as far as the Mt Rushmore thing..I would have no problem with someone like Wood being on it..but I am not sure why u think Wood should be on it, but Moore would not

Nothing against Moore at all. Wood had 9 State Championships at 2 Different schools during a time 1 team went to the playoffs out of each District. To me, that puts Wood over Moore.

Wood was just more than a wins coach. He was a legend in his own time. I never heard Moore's name until he won his 400th win.

JR2004
02-07-2009, 11:09 AM
If such a thing were to exist and Gordon Wood were on it, you'd have to find a way to put Robert Hughes on there as well.

big daddy russ
02-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Some Texans in the Baseball Hall of Fame

-Cap Anson (first major-leaguer to 3k hits)
-Ernie Banks (Mr. Cub, possibly the greatest SS of all time and one of only two SS's--A-Rod's the other--with 500 HR)
-Rogers Hornsby (Quite possibly the greatest second baseman of all-time... 2-time MVP and 2-time Triple Crown winner... Holds record for highest single-season batting average in the modern era, hitting .424 in 1924... Only Ty Cobb can match his three .400 seasons)
-Eddie Matthews (One of the top two or three 3B of all time and one-half of one of the most feared one-two punches of All-Time... He was Hank Aaron's cleanup)
-Nolan Ryan (No introduction needed... Baseball's strikeout king)
-Joe Morgan (One of the most important pieces of The Big Red Machine and another one of the greatest 2B of all-time)
-Frank Robinson (One of the greatest power hitters of all-time... Possibly the greatest Oriole of all-time)
-Tris Speaker (Second-greatest player of his generation {Ty Cobb} and one of the forgotten greats, but was a member of that amazing second HOF class back in 1937 and one of the pre-home run age's best sluggers... Still holds the record for most doubles to go along with his 3,500 hits)

FOOTBALL
-Mean Joe Greene
-Gene Upshaw
-Thurman Thomas
-Raymond Berry
-Eric Dickerson
-Doak Walker
-Forrest Gregg
-Earl Campbell
-Bobby Layne
-Mike Singletary
-Sammy Baugh
-Bob Lilly
-Don Maynard

BASKETBALL
-Clyde Drexler
-Shaquille O'Neal
-Hakeem Olajuwon (we'll claim him since his first experience in the US was in Houston)

TRACK AND FIELD
-Babe Didrickson Zaharias
-Michael Johnson
-Jeremy Wariner
-Amy Acuff

A few names to consider

big daddy russ
02-07-2009, 12:44 PM
BTW: My Mt. Rushmore:

1. Sammy Baugh
2. Earl Campbell
3. Babe Didrikson Zaharias
4. Eric Dickerson

Txbroadcaster
02-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Some Texans in the Baseball Hall of Fame

-Cap Anson (first major-leaguer to 3k hits)
-Ernie Banks (Mr. Cub, possibly the greatest SS of all time and one of only two SS's--A-Rod's the other--with 500 HR)
-Rogers Hornsby (Quite possibly the greatest second baseman of all-time... 2-time MVP and 2-time Triple Crown winner... Holds record for highest single-season batting average in the modern era, hitting .424 in 1924... Only Ty Cobb can match his three .400 seasons)
-Eddie Matthews (One of the top two or three 3B of all time and one-half of one of the most feared one-two punches of All-Time... He was Hank Aaron's cleanup)
-Nolan Ryan (No introduction needed... Baseball's strikeout king)
-Joe Morgan (One of the most important pieces of The Big Red Machine and another one of the greatest 2B of all-time)
-Frank Robinson (One of the greatest power hitters of all-time... Possibly the greatest Oriole of all-time)
-Tris Speaker (Second-greatest player of his generation {Ty Cobb} and one of the forgotten greats, but was a member of that amazing second HOF class back in 1937 and one of the pre-home run age's best sluggers... Still holds the record for most doubles to go along with his 3,500 hits)

FOOTBALL
-Mean Joe Greene
-Gene Upshaw
-Thurman Thomas
-Raymond Berry
-Eric Dickerson
-Doak Walker
-Forrest Gregg
-Earl Campbell
-Bobby Layne
-Mike Singletary
-Sammy Baugh
-Bob Lilly
-Don Maynard

BASKETBALL
-Clyde Drexler
-Shaquille O'Neal
-Hakeem Olajuwon (we'll claim him since his first experience in the US was in Houston)

TRACK AND FIELD
-Babe Didrickson Zaharias
-Michael Johnson
-Jeremy Wariner
-Amy Acuff

A few names to consider

u forgot YA Tittle in football HOF

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I like Nolan Ryan. But I am not as big a baseball fan as football, thats one reason I didn't pick him over Vince. And again, he didn't ever bring home a world series to Texas or Houston.

i was on page 4 of the entire thread and I must say you are digging yourself into a hole and you can't come out of it. Your reasonsings for leaving some stars out is pretty out there...