PDA

View Full Version : New Hidalgo AD/HFC is.....

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Just saw the article today, BIG name from the TAPPS circuit gets the nod.

Hidalgo hires Kirk as next football coach

January 26, 2009 - 10:25 PM
Stephen K. Lee
RGVSports.com

The Hidalgo ISD Board of Trustees revealed the new face of Hidalgo High School football Monday evening at the Hidalgo ISD auditorium and, boy, does he have a resume.

Clarence "Robin" Kirk of Houston's St. Pius X High School was selected as the Pirates' new football head coach by a unanimous board meeting vote.

Hidalgo athletic director Albert Guerra was said that Kirk perfectly fit the profile of the type of coach they were looking for.

"The committee had an open mind and we were going to find somebody that we felt was the best fit for our student athletes here at Hidalgo ISD," Guerra said. "And most certainly coach Kirk's humility, accomplishments and character filled all those questions that we might have had. As an open-minded committee, we ask ourself all those things and he fit the bill. He fit the mold."

Kirk, a 1972 alum of St. Pius X, led the Panthers to three TAPPS state championships as head coach and athletic director. As the Panthers defensive coordinator and offensive line coach from 1976-79, Kirk coached current Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, who was an all-state quarterback at St. Pius X before starring as a player at Texas A&M and as a coach in the NFL.

Kirk, who totaled an 88-30 record over 10 years as St. Pius X's head coach, said that he felt that it was time for a change of scenery.

"Well, I've been at St. Pius for 10 years as the head coach and we've had a lot of success," he said. "After you've been somewhere that long, with all of the success that we had, I started looking around at different places that had openings."

Kirk takes over a Hidalgo football program that went 26-18 over the past four seasons with former coach Jorge Pena, who resigned back in December. The Pirates were 6-4 in 2008 and missed the playoffs.

In 1999, his first year as St. Pius X's head coach, Kirk led the Panthers to an 11-3 record and a state championship. He indicated that he intends to work just as hard to try to have a repeat of instant success.

"We understand what we need to do, but we're certainly going into next season with kids that are juniors and sophomores and we want to take it to another level. And we're going to work our tails off to get it next year."

Over the past three years, Kirk's St. Pius X squads totaled a 31-5 record, including a perfect 13-0 season in 2006. As for the coming task of facing competition in the public school ranks, Kirk has already been doing that for the past 10 years.

"We played almost all public 4 and 5A schools where I was at," he said, "So the problem was, over there, we didn't have all full-time coaches and we didn't have all of the facilities that they have in the public schools. So I felt like we were a little bit in a tough situation there. What makes it good here, at the public school you have a lot more resources to deal with and of course the athletic (aspect) versus what you have in the private school."

Though Kirk, 54, is a lifelong Houstonian, he is no stranger to the Valley. His wife, Maggie Cuellar Kirk, is from the area and graduated from Weslaco High in 1986. On their first visit to Hidalgo, they were both very impressed.

"We felt like some good things were happening (at Hidalgo), so we asked if we could come down and just look at the facilities and everything before we put in our application," said Kirk, who will work out the figures of his contract Tuesday morning, "They said, ‘Sure, come on.' And I'll be doggone, it was just absolutely phenomenal. The interest they have here in athletics and football and the logistics of their system they have here is unbelievable. They have great facilities that are going to get better and it's just a place that's set up for success."

Hidalgo made a good impression with Kirk when it allowed him to bring three members of his coaching staff.

"They're allowing me, which is just amazing, to bring an offensive coordinator, a defensive coordinator and a special teams coordinator," Kirk said. "These people in Hidalgo are just phenomenal people to deal with. I've never ever in my life dealt with people as professional and caring as they are."

There are currently five in the running for the three staff openings.

Hidalgo athletic director Albert Guerra said that Kirk and Los Fresnos defensive coordinator Jason Wheeler were the top two candidates.

Guerra indicated that he felt relieved to have a football coach in place after a month-long vacancy.

"When you don't have a football coach in place - yeah that becomes quite a weight on your shoulders," he said. "We're ecstatic to have, first of all, the process and everything that has come about with coach Kirk. We're extremely ecstatic about it."

Stephen K. Lee covers high school sports for Valley Freedom Newspapers. You can reach him at (956) 683-4442 or via e-mail at slee@themonitor.com.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-27-2009, 12:54 PM
My mistake, Kirk is just head coach. I totally forgot Hidalgo is one of those school districts that has a person as just Athletic Director of the ISD, and another as head coach.

Slightly surprised at the lack of comments....I know it's "lowly" south Texas, but come on..

OldBison75
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Kirk will be a great coach for Hidalgo. He has been very successful in a program with very limited resources and has had that success against public schools from the whole coastal bend area. He is a master at using the personnel available and adapting his game plan to the skills his team can bring. Look for a very diversified attack that can run when needed, eat up yards with a quick passing game, and has the speed and ability to beat you over the top also. His defense may not be the most rugged as far as size and strength, but they will clean your clock and gang tackle. He will demand that his players never give up.

The valley better get ready because this program will go up quickly.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Agreed

Hidalgo has always had terrific athletes, they just lacked a REALLY good coach for all these years. There have been some "good" coaches in Hidalgo's history (Cris Cavazos was head coach when Hidalgo made playoffs in 1993-1994) and I don't see why it can't happen again.

But with a coach the caliber of Kirk, and the already present talent at Hidalgo...yeah, 32-3A may have another potential monster team in the district with Rio Hondo, La Feria and Port Isabel (yes I know PI didn't do well, but bring back the house next season)

Here's the interesting thing about Hidalgo....this first season with Kirk at the helm will really show us what he is capable of, since Hidalgo's team next season will be majority Sophs. and Juniors. If Kirk can take a young team like that 2 or 3 rounds deep in the playoffs, then watch out.

Oh, forgot to mention, Hidalgo has highest enrollment in 32-3A and guaranteed Div. 1 playoff team.