PDA

View Full Version : Football Coach Charged In Player's Death

SpursFan
01-26-2009, 06:18 PM
WOW this is surprising! I wonder if it may change things here in Texas!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/22/national/main4747799.shtml

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-26-2009, 06:35 PM
From what that story gives us, that is just absurd.

SpursFan
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Here is a better article from the AP.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jxErGcZEn4iTyjZ95atiOZmKg3aAD95V48AO0

Phil C
01-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Nothing may come of this but it could be a warning to coaches to be careful.

c-town_balla
01-27-2009, 09:38 AM
The more I read that story the less I think this case has a chance. Its a terrible thing that the kid died but, sometimes terrible things happen and there is no need to destroy the lives of everyone involved.

RedWhiteBlue
01-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I think this is awful. The article also fails to mention that 2 other boys on the same team and on the exact same day were treated for heat exhaustion.
I don't think there is anything absurd about it at all. JMO:(

pancho villa
01-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Dem boys in Kentucky need to toughen up!!!!!!!

crzyjournalist03
01-27-2009, 12:12 PM
"The temperature felt like 94 degrees".

I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a spring practice in Texas.

Was the coach depriving the team of water or something? I don't see how a coach can be charged for practicing in weather that the entire southern half of the U.S. deals with on a daily basis during the summer. :confused:

Electus Unus
01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
94 degrees is october weather here but I think they might have a case especially with all the recent workout deaths and other things pertaining to this subject.

crzyjournalist03
01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
94 degrees is october weather here but I think they might have a case especially with all the recent workout deaths and other things pertaining to this subject.

That was only the heat index too...the actual temperature was in the 80s!

RedWhiteBlue
01-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Wouldn't humidity play a part in that as well?:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Wouldn't humidity play a part in that as well?:thinking:

I'm no weatherman, but I believe that humidity is a factor in calculating heat index.

If I were looking for contributing factors, I'd look more to the Creatine (which dehydrates you, although his parents claimed he had stopped), and Adderall, which has serious side effects (possibly fatal) on your heart and blood pressure if misused, and common side effects include dry mouth and dizziness.

GreenMonster
01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Dem boys in Kentucky need to toughen up!!!!!!!

No kidding, the heat index was only 94 and they are trying to press criminal charges. What would they try to do to us in the Texas 110 heat index in August?? :eek: Also, I don't see anything criminal in this. No one forced that kid to come out for football. No one forced him to sit at home under the A/C instead of preparing for the rigors of football either. You can't actually press charges and expect them to stick for a coach doing his job. This is a very unfortunate incident that this coach will carry with him for the rest of his life. All he did is hold practice just like thousands of other coaches were doing and have done for the last 100 plus years.

pancho villa
01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
No kidding, the heat index was only 94 and they are trying to press criminal charges. What would they try to do to us in the Texas 110 heat index in August?? :eek: Also, I don't see anything criminal in this. No one forced that kid to come out for football. No one forced him to sit at home under the A/C instead of preparing for the rigors of football either. You can't actually press charges and expect them to stick for a coach doing his job. This is a very unfortunate incident that this coach will carry with him for the rest of his life. All he did is hold practice just like thousands of other coaches were doing and have done for the last 100 plus years.

Can I get an AMEN!

bandera7
01-27-2009, 04:53 PM
If this goes through it will be a shame. Its a terrible tragedy for the family, but you cannot point fingers at the coach for holding a practice. And my first though was also, only 94 degrees heat index?
If this does go through it will put a huge warning sign on two a days here in texas.