PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Food Question....

Bullaholic
01-26-2009, 05:41 PM
The name "Tex-Mex" implies that there is a difference between it and traditional Mexican food. What are some of the differences? Is Mexican food similar to the food of any other country? Is modern Mexican food losing it's traditional preparation methods, or is it still prepared much as it was in generations past? Is there a difference between the way a Mexican family prepares it's Mexican food at home, and the way it is prepared in restaurants for serving to the public?

crzyjournalist03
01-26-2009, 05:49 PM
My college roommate had lived in Mexico his entire life before moving in with me. He claimed that the biggest differences were as follows:

Most "traditional" Mexican meals involve black beans rather than refried beans.

Chili on your enchiladas or other Mexican food is primarily a Texas thing

Tortillas are almost ALWAYS corn tortillas in Mexico. Flour tortillas are pretty much an American invention.

oh, and for fear of grossing some out, I'd really rather NOT get into the ways that he prepared his food in our apartment...

crzyjournalist03
01-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Oh...and I just remembered one more.

Tamales are made to be eaten dry for the most part. If you wish to add something to it, sour cream or a green salsa is preferred in Mexico.

I_Do_Care
01-26-2009, 05:55 PM
my mom bought some cream cheese and jalepeno tamales. WOW they were good!

Bullaholic
01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for some great info---I see many Mexican families buying a lot of fresh jalapenos, cerranos, avocados, and fresh fruit when I go to the grocery. Of course so does everyone else, but maybe not in the same quantities. Dedicated Mexican-item groceries seem to do very well, also.

LH Panther Mom
01-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Tamales are made to be eaten dry for the most part. If you wish to add something to it, sour cream or a green salsa is preferred in Mexico.
I really don't care for tamales any way but fresh out of the shuck. My mom used to buy some nasty canned tamales when I was a kid. :ack!: :ack!:

Matthew328
01-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Ignorant white guy here, but I also seem to remember cheese is more of a tex-mex thing and not quite done as much in Mexico

Bullaholic
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Ignorant white guy here, but I also seem to remember cheese is more of a tex-mex thing and not quite done as much in Mexico

I'll plead ignorance, too, Matt---but thanks to a lot of dedicated folks, I'm sure we'll get some great info on the traditions of Mexican food---maybe we'll hear from P4S and Pancho Villa on this in little bit.

mac77
01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
What we call Mexican food is Tex-Mex. It derived from the trail food that vacqueros and cowboys ate in the early days of the Republic. If I'm not mistaken, real Mexican cuisine includes some things that would gross most people out. Bugs and entrails and such. Coastal regions are heavy on the seafood also.

turbostud
01-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

I think sour cream is to but I love me some sour cream on soft tacos.

pirate4state
01-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I'll plead ignorance, too, Matt---but thanks to a lot of dedicated folks, I'm sure we'll get some great info on the traditions of Mexican food---maybe we'll hear from P4S and Pancho Villa on this in little bit.

I am deeply offended by this post! LOL Okay, I couldn't even get through that without laughing. :D ;)

Uhhhhh, I'm not that kind of Mexican. Hell, I don't even eat peppers...I'm allergic to them! hahaha

My mom's parents were both born in Mexico, but I never knew them. My mom was born here, but she has never cooked with any weird stuff. Unless you thing cow intestines, brains, blood and goat are weird. :D

Tamale meat is ground up pig's head. yum. When I was a kid my dad would buy a hog and then kill it & skin it. They would drain the blood and I swear to God my mom would cook it (the blood) & they'd eat it with corn tortillas. :ack!:

Let's see ... what else :D

The only difference I've noticed is that people from Mexico use a lot more fresh veggies in all their food. They'll throw in corn, carrots, Lima/green/kidney beans, etc. into rice and they don't use the tomato sauce we usually do in our "tex-mex" rice.

Like someone else said they use black beans in a lot of their dishes.

JohnnieLightnin
01-26-2009, 10:09 PM
I don't think Fajitas are an original from Mexico. I believe Fajitas are a Tex-Mex thing; invented within the last 25 years or so.

ILS1
01-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by JohnnieLightnin
I don't think Fajitas are an original from Mexico. I believe Fajitas are a Tex-Mex thing; invented within the last 25 years or so.

They do eat cheese in Mexico. But it's not made from cow's milk but goat's milk. I told a friend on average a Mexican would eat a pound of tortillas a day. The corn variety and not the flour.

:D :D :D

Rabid Cougar
01-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I have eaten Mexican Food in San Diego and it is nothing like Mexican food in San Antonio. Very Bland.
Tex Mex is much prefered!

catgut
01-26-2009, 10:40 PM
For me I sum it up like this....authentic Mexican food I don't care for. Good Tex Mex, I love!

Electus Unus
01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
beef fajitas with raw onions, cilantro, and lime juice FTW!

I think what pirate4state is trying to say is that she is a fake Mexican. :p

WTF-82
01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The name "Tex-Mex" implies that there is a difference between it and traditional Mexican food. What are some of the differences? Is Mexican food similar to the food of any other country? Is modern Mexican food losing it's traditional preparation methods, or is it still prepared much as it was in generations past? Is there a difference between the way a Mexican family prepares it's Mexican food at home, and the way it is prepared in restaurants for serving to the public?

The reason many of you prefer Tex-Mex over true Mexican food is you never have had great Mexican Food this is understanding most restaurants want to make it this way example. Sour Cream chicken enchiladas the only mexican thing about this dish is the way its rolled like a enchilada. It is a great dish but nothing mexican about it. And America specially in Texas loves it.
Some of youre really good true Mexican Food comes from the State of Chihuahua this is youre true Vaquero hard working part of Mexico this is the reason places like Odessa and Midland and these parts have the better true Mexican food they have people who actually come from the Chihuahua such as Ojinaga. Totally diffrent Mexican food than any other part of Mexico. Yes my family is from this area. One of the legendarry dishes from this part of Mexico is ASADO or another name for it is Chile Colorado.
Some of you have neve tried it youll need to go to west texas towns such as Monahans,Odessa or Midland to have it the right way or go to Mexico. San Antonio areas will have no idea what this dish is.

WTF-82
01-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Another Legendary dish from my part of Mexico is called sangrita called goat blood. It is a very tender goat stew it is great old traditions say some would actually use the blood of the goat when killed to prepare well we dont do it this way but really this is a very good dish Mexico loves goat meat. This is like ahave to when there is a party ASADO or Goat.

squid
01-27-2009, 06:49 AM
New Mexicans brag about how their cuisine is superior to TexMex. I've had it in Ruidoso, Santa Fe and Albu., Nasty, very Nasty.

sinton66
01-27-2009, 06:58 AM
There are a number of authentic Mexican restaurants in San Antonio as well as Tex-Mex. Both are some of the best anywhere in the world. Authentics are usually classified by the region of Mexico they specialize in.

pancho villa
01-27-2009, 09:22 AM
When I was a kid nobody except poor people ate skirt steak, now it is fajitas. Real Mexican food is cooked in lard. Tostadas are now chalupas and burros are burritos. WTH no real Mexican would put chili on their enchalads. AND REAL TAMALES ARE MADE FROM HOGS HEADS!

STAggie
01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I love hog's head tamales. So good. I also love me some menudo but not sure if this is authentic or a tex-mex thing. Barbacoa and cabrito are a close second. The best tasting tamales I have ever had though were bean and jalepeno and so spicy they burned your lips as soon as you put them to your mouth. Wow, is it lunch time yet?

jockcity33
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM
what is the difference between and breakfast taco and a breakfast burrito?

pirate4state
01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
what is the difference between and breakfast taco and a breakfast burrito? location

I had never heard a breakfast TACO referred to as a burrito until Ranger Mom lost hers! :D

jockcity33
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
location...so there is not actual difference, is it just a regional thing. Where I am in Fort Stockton it is a breakfast burrito, but if I travel 4 hours down I-10 to San Antonio it is a TACO. WTH?

pirate4state
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
location...so there is not actual difference, is it just a regional thing. Where I am in Fort Stockton it is a breakfast burrito, but if I travel 4 hours down I-10 to San Antonio it is a TACO. WTH? Yes, West Texas people are weird. :p

Actually, it might also have to do with the size of the tortilla and how it is folded/wrapped. :thinking:

44INAROW
01-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I had never heard a breakfast TACO referred to as a burrito until Ranger Mom lost hers! :D
and it took 15 pages worth of discussion :D Didn't she find the "burrito" about a month later and it didn't smell or look too good :eek:

speaking of Tex-Mex and Authentic Mexican food - a new place is opening up in Cuero "soon" and the sign advertizes as "Authentic Jalisco style" what is that?

pancho villa
01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Ms Villa is the real deal when it comes to cooking Mexican food. The rest of you only get ok food. Viva la taco!

Txbroadcaster
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
and it took 15 pages worth of discussion :D Didn't she find the "burrito" about a month later and it didn't smell or look too good :eek:

speaking of Tex-Mex and Authentic Mexican food - a new place is opening up in Cuero "soon" and the sign advertizes as "Authentic Jalisco style" what is that?

From my exp Jalisco style is a simple menu with basic foods like tacos, Tostados and such

Tey usually ave two salsas Red and green and they offer the same meats usually in every Jalisco style place.

pirate4state
01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

I think she found it later that morning.

I have no idea what Jalisco style is. I've already told yall...I'm not that kind of mexican. :D

Pancho...maybe your wife & I need to have a cook off. ;)

pancho villa
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I think she found it later that morning.

I have no idea what Jalisco style is. I've already told yall...I'm not that kind of mexican. :D

Pancho...maybe your wife & I need to have a cook off. ;)

As long as I get to judge the food!!!!!!!!! Yum