Boys:
Girls:

Private
Boys:
Girls:

Does WOS87 track BB history?

kepdawg
01-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I'll throw some teams out there. Some are no-brainers (to me) while a few I have mentioned haven't won a title in decades but their history speaks for itself. And there are still a few for which I cannot decide a clear leader. I am sure some will be quick to dispute some of my selections and that is fine. Hopefully those people will have selections of their own to offer as well!

Pros:
Men: Boston*
Women: Houston

College:
Men: UCLA*
Women: Tennessee*

5A:
Boys:
Girls: Duncanville

4A:
Boys: PA Lincoln^
Girls: Canyon*

3A:
Boys: Buna^
Girls:

2A
Boys:
Girls: Abernathy

1A
Boys: Snook^
Girls: Nazareth*

Private
Boys: Houston Westbury Christian
Girls: Dallas Bishop Lynch*

*Don't Even Bother Arguing With Me
^ Relying Heavily On History

Bullaholic
01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Is there a basketball equivalent to the 83' Daingerfield football team?

pirate4state
01-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm bored so I'll play :D

Pros:
Men- Boston
Women- ummm yeah, who cares!

College:
Men: Duke :inlove:
Women: ummm yeah, who cares!

and that about does it for me!

Bullaholic
01-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm bored so I'll play :D

Pros:
Men- Boston
Women- ummm yeah, who cares!

College:
Men: Duke :inlove:
Women: ummm yeah, who cares!

and that about does it for me!

Well, don't strain yourself....:D

kepdawg
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

No, I'm pretty sure there has been no defense hold opponents scoreless!

Bullaholic
01-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
No, I'm pretty sure there has been no defense hold opponents scoreless!

LOL. That's true, kep---I just wonder if there is any HS basketball team thought of with the same reverence.

cshscougar08
01-26-2009, 04:58 PM
NBA: Boston
WNBA: Houston

NCAAM: UCLA or Kentucky
NCAAW: Tennessee

Don't know enough about HS.

Bullaholic
01-26-2009, 05:18 PM
In HS, I pretty much agree with kep, except maybe:

4A:
Boys- FW Dunbar

3A:
Girls- Winnsboro & Canyon

kepdawg
01-26-2009, 05:34 PM
In HS, I pretty much agree with kep, except maybe:

4A:
Boys- FW Dunbar

3A:
Girls- Winnsboro & Canyon

I thought about going with Canyon's girls in 3A and 4A and probably should have. PAL's boys in 4A were incredible but Dunbar is definitely up there as well.

JR2004
01-26-2009, 06:25 PM

It's almost twelve years later and there still has never been anything at the 3A level like the 97 Madison state title team. They returned just about their entire team from the year before that lost in the state championship game in 4A. I've become friends with several of those guys since then and man could they play.

The point guard, Damion Ford, was 6'4" and went on to Alcorn State to play QB. The combo guard was Carl McClenton who at 6'3" was probably better as a point guard than Ford was. The small forward/shooting guard, Latronio Sheffield, was 6'6" (And has a son now that will be coming to Madison in the next few years.). The power forward, Archie Beason, was 6'4" and was the best player. The big man, Tyrone Palmer, may have been the best of the group at 6'8" and 240lbs. He felt as comfortable on the perimeter as he did on the block. Their bench that year was good enough that if they were their own team they would've made the playoffs. Addae Houston would've been the starting point guard at the majority of 3A schools that year, but at Madison he had to come off the bench.

They had two freshmen guards (Jerome Rogers and Robert Hart) on the bench that would form the backcourt of the 2000 team that would lose in the 4A state title game. Coach Kidd's son, who was also a freshman, was on the team and would be the starting small forward for the next three years and eventually go to Oklahoma State and later Baylor (He was there during the Patrick Dennehy tragedy).

They had one competitive game that year with a 3A school and it came in the title game against a Tulia team that would've won a state title in any other year besides that one. I remember Madison's longtime head coach, Ellis Kidd, say that his biggest obstacle he faced with that group was convincing them that there were 3A schools who could play basketball. In the regional final that year they beat Clarksville 92-62. The following year that Clarksville team won the state championship.

CelinaCatFan
01-26-2009, 06:52 PM
These teams have either won titles or consistently have very good records.

Pros:
Men- LA Lakers, SA, Boston
Women- N/A

College:
Men: UCLA, Duke, UNC
Women: Tennessee, UConn

5A:
Boys- Humble Kingwood, Houston Wheatley
Girls- Duncanville, Mansfield

4A:
Boys- Ft Worth Dunbar, SOC, Dallas Lincoln, PA Lincoln
Girls: Dallas Lincoln

3A:
Boys: Argyle, Kountze, Buna
Girls: Canyon, Dripping Springs

2A
Boys: Krum, Ponder, Brock
Girls: Winnsboro, Brock

1A
Boys: Snook, Nazareth, Lipan
Girls: Nazareth

Private
Boys: N/A
Girls: N/A

CelinaCatFan
01-26-2009, 07:03 PM
JR,

My vote for the best recent team in 3A goes to the 2002 Gainesville Leopards. While the Madison team in 97 was a very good team, I think Gainesville would have beaten them. The Leopards were dominate in 02. They won the championship game over Kountze by 79-62 and it really was not as close as the final score indicated.

This will be my 21st year at the State Tournament and I have not seen a 3A team better than the Gainesville team of 2002.

coach
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
These teams have either won titles or consistently have very good records.

Pros:
Men- LA Lakers, SA, Boston
Women- N/A

College:
Men: UCLA, Duke, UNC
Women: Tennessee, UConn

5A:
Boys- Humble Kingwood, Houston Wheatley
Girls- Duncanville, Mansfield

4A:
Boys- Ft Worth Dunbar, SOC, Dallas Lincoln, PA Lincoln
Girls: Dallas Lincoln

3A:
Boys: Argyle, Kountze, Buna
Girls: Canyon, Dripping Springs

2A
Boys: Krum, Ponder, Brock
Girls: Winnsboro, Brock

1A
Boys: Snook, Nazareth, Lipan
Girls: Nazareth

Private
Boys: N/A
Girls: N/A

you left out kentucky

eagles_victory
01-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
It's almost twelve years later and there still has never been anything at the 3A level like the 97 Madison state title team. They returned just about their entire team from the year before that lost in the state championship game in 4A. I've become friends with several of those guys since then and man could they play.

The point guard, Damion Ford, was 6'4" and went on to Alcorn State to play QB. The combo guard was Carl McClenton who at 6'3" was probably better as a point guard than Ford was. The small forward/shooting guard, Latronio Sheffield, was 6'6" (And has a son now that will be coming to Madison in the next few years.). The power forward, Archie Beason, was 6'4" and was the best player. The big man, Tyrone Palmer, may have been the best of the group at 6'8" and 240lbs. He felt as comfortable on the perimeter as he did on the block. Their bench that year was good enough that if they were their own team they would've made the playoffs. Addae Houston would've been the starting point guard at the majority of 3A schools that year, but at Madison he had to come off the bench.

They had two freshmen guards (Jerome Rogers and Robert Hart) on the bench that would form the backcourt of the 2000 team that would lose in the 4A state title game. Coach Kidd's son, who was also a freshman, was on the team and would be the starting small forward for the next three years and eventually go to Oklahoma State and later Baylor (He was there during the Patrick Dennehy tragedy).

They had one competitive game that year with a 3A school and it came in the title game against a Tulia team that would've won a state title in any other year besides that one. I remember Madison's longtime head coach, Ellis Kidd, say that his biggest obstacle he faced with that group was convincing them that there were 3A schools who could play basketball. In the regional final that year they beat Clarksville 92-62. The following year that Clarksville team won the state championship. Saw that coming lol

JR2004
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
JR,

My vote for the best recent team in 3A goes to the 2002 Gainesville Leopards. While the Madison team in 97 was a very good team, I think Gainesville would have beaten them. The Leopards were dominate in 02. They won the championship game over Kountze by 79-62 and it really was not as close as the final score indicated.

This will be my 21st year at the State Tournament and I have not seen a 3A team better than the Gainesville team of 2002.

I think you make some good points with Gainesville. An argument can be made for them as well.

The only thing I will say is that the 2002 version of Kountze was not as good as the Tulia team we went through. That point guard for Tulia was just ridiculous. I wish I could remember his name. He wasn't as good as Rayford Young from Pampa from the year before, but man could he play.

Rabid Cougar
01-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Nazarth Girls.... Every house has a concrete half court.

Keith7
01-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I think you make some good points with Gainesville. An argument can be made for them as well.

The only thing I will say is that the 2002 version of Kountze was not as good as the Tulia team we went through. That point guard for Tulia was just ridiculous. I wish I could remember his name. He wasn't as good as Rayford Young from Pampa from the year before, but man could he play.

That Gainesville team was probably the best 3A team I ever saw, but I am a bit biased. We made the state tournament 4 out of 5 years at one point, I doubt that has ever been topped in 3A.. We have been down the last few years (as all Gainesville athletics has been) but I'm sure we will be back soon.

The team that lost to Mexia was pretty dang good too though, if not for an idiot call at the end of the game, people might would say they were the best team ever

jason
01-26-2009, 11:27 PM
madison was in forney's district my freshman year of high school and when they came to forney we (freshman team) beat them...

amongst the madison boys teams that year (freshman, jv, varsity) that was the only district loss...

we almost beat them at their place, we were up at half time and ended up losing a close one....

i remember after we beat them all of the forney guys coaches were in our locker room telling us good job - even the ones who couldnt have cared less about basketball....

and that '02 gainesville team routed forney in the 2nd round that year...they were GOOD...

my junior year, had we won our regional semi-final, we would have played vs gainesville in the final....they beat the crap out of white oak...
fyi, their varsity beat the crap out of our varsity that year (and the year before when they won state HAHA).....

AggiesAreWe
01-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
That Gainesville team was probably the best 3A team I ever saw, but I am a bit biased. We made the state tournament 4 out of 5 years at one point, I doubt that has ever been topped in 3A.. We have been down the last few years (as all Gainesville athletics has been) but I'm sure we will be back soon.

The team that lost to Mexia was pretty dang good too though, if not for an idiot call at the end of the game, people might would say they were the best team ever

Actually, Buna won 5 titles in 3A, starting in '57 then winning 4 state tiltes in 5 years, '59-'63. They won 7 state championships in a 9 year span.

AggiesAreWe
01-26-2009, 11:48 PM
JR,

I have been going to the state tourney since 1972, this will be my 38th straight trip to the tourney. I have to say the Dallas Madison team would have to be the best 3A team I have seen there in Austin. Gainseville would be a close second.

Keith7
01-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
Actually, Buna won 5 titles in 3A, starting in '57 then winning 4 state tiltes in 5 years, '59-'63. They won 7 state championships in a 9 year span.

That was fake basketball back then

WOS87
01-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Here are the most recent State Champs among all major sports in 5A and 3A. It's late and I need to go to bed so I will have to research the other categories a bit later.

5A

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/5a/5astatechamps.gif

3A

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/3a/3astatechamps.gif

mwynn05
01-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Snook i would put an astrisk by that one kep what was like like 7 straight or state titles in the late 70's early 80's

kepdawg
01-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Snook i would put an astrisk by that one kep what was like like 7 straight or state titles in the late 70's early 80's

True! I guess the should have gotten the*^.

JR2004
01-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I believe Snook won it every year between 78-84. That'll probably never, ever happen again.

mwynn05
01-27-2009, 05:42 PM
check out this site Texas HS basketball champs (http://www.texasbasketballchamps.com/)

kepdawg
01-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
check out this site Texas HS basketball champs (http://www.texasbasketballchamps.com/)

Yeah that's a really good site! I've killed lots of time reading up on different teams!

JR2004
01-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Yeah that's a really good site! I've killed lots of time reading up on different teams!

I have too. It's a very good resource for Texas high school basketball.

mwynn05
01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
i figured you guys knew about it i have killed some time on there too