PDA

View Full Version : CS receiver commits to Baylor

cshscougar08
01-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Mike Hicks has committed to play for the Baylor Bears. Congrats and good luck to him and finally some recruiting sense from the Bears.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/highschools/stories/2009/01/26/01262009wachicks.html

Electus Unus
01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Definitely a diamond in the rough! I can't believe he wasn't more recruited.

c-town_balla
01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Baylor is putting together a solid class

NTFan
01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Mike Hicks is one of the best players that Celina has faced in recent memory. He will and always have the respect of the Celina faithful....good luck at Baylor. They are getting a top notch player.

kaorder1999
01-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Baylor is putting together a pretty good recruiting class!

sahen
01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
i read somewhere that he runs a 4.4??? says he will be playing safety for us, but if thats true the kid could see some time returning kicks as well, maybe get in on a few offensive snaps...

JR2004
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Baylor's recruiting class this year is looking really, really good.

Gators17
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
I've heard A LOT about Hicks throughout this football season and from what I've heard, I'm surprised he didn't have any better offers. Just looked him up on rivals and it says that he benchpresses 315 lbs. which is very impressive for a 175 kid.

cshscougar08
01-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Gators17
I've heard A LOT about Hicks throughout this football season and from what I've heard, I'm surprised he didn't have any better offers. Just looked him up on rivals and it says that he benchpresses 315 lbs. which is very impressive for a 175 kid.

His height is a detriment for most. He is only 5'10" at most. But by golly I look at Steve Smith of the Panthers and I see Mike being able to be that good as well. He's got the athletic ability to be sure.

c-town_balla
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
wow I can't believe how poor his offers were

Montana St. Portland St. and Baylor

Daddy D 11
01-27-2009, 12:30 PM
That's awesome that he gets to go to a great school and get's to stay right in his backyard. Congrats to him! He couldn't have asked for a better situation.

watz4dinner
01-27-2009, 06:52 PM
sad but true......skin color had a big part in it.

sahen
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
if the kid turns out to be half the safety that jordan lake is then briles got a good pick up...

coach
01-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by watz4dinner

please tell me what in the hell that is suppose to mean?

trojan37
01-27-2009, 07:44 PM

What tha :confused:

Daddy D 11
01-27-2009, 08:52 PM

IDIOT.

watz4dinner
01-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Idiot???? I know of many numerous college coaches that said if he was black that he would have been offered. I am not playing the reverse race card...only stating what I have heard directly from college recruiters. I am not a racist nor am I an idiot. The fact that he was white did play a part in the recruiting business.....the fact the he came from a smaller school also played a part. We are talking about the #2 reciever in the state of Texas. He does have a 35 inch vertical, benches over 300 lbs., 4.5 or better 40.
You have a better explanation??...let me hear it
Congrats to Mike

Emerson1
01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Sam McGuffie had some nice offers. Jordan Shipley isn't doing to bad either

watz4dinner
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
i agree.....only know what I have witnessed/heard. Honestly, didn't mean to stir the pot. Forget I posted anything

Emerson1
01-27-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm sure you are a very credible person...

cshscougar08
01-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I'm sure you are a very credible person...

Actually he is. Receivers coach for us.

sahen
01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
well im glad we got him at baylor....hope the kid can go prove all the coaches that passed on him wrong..

trojan37
01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Idiot???? I know of many numerous college coaches that said if he was black that he would have been offered. I am not playing the reverse race card...only stating what I have heard directly from college recruiters. I am not a racist nor am I an idiot. The fact that he was white did play a part in the recruiting business.....the fact the he came from a smaller school also played a part. We are talking about the #2 reciever in the state of Texas. He does have a 35 inch vertical, benches over 300 lbs., 4.5 or better 40.
You have a better explanation??...let me hear it
Congrats to Mike

Brock Fitzhenry, Giddings-5'9" 172 lbs. 305 bench press and 4.4 forty time, signed with Texas. Very similar to Hicks as far as size and strength. The black thing is a bunch of crap.

cshscougar08
01-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
Brock Fitzhenry, Giddings-5'9" 172 lbs. 305 bench press and 4.4 forty time, signed with Texas. Very similar to Hicks as far as size and strength. The black thing is a bunch of crap.

You don't know. I don't know. Pretty sure only Mike and the coaches know and that's not something you just throw out there and lie about.

Rocket Dad
01-28-2009, 12:29 PM
I have heard the same from recruiters on skin color. They say it has something to do with the potential increase in the player's performance between the ages of 18-22. As a general rule the African-American football player ( skill player ) will increase more in areas of speed, agility, etc. is what they say.

trojan37
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
I have heard the same from recruiters on skin color. They say it has something to do with the potential increase in the player's performance between the ages of 18-22. As a general rule the African-American football player ( skill player ) will increase more in areas of speed, agility, etc. is what they say.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook.

headhunter
01-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Say what you want but I agree with yall on "if he was black he would have been offered"

Their was a RB out of Wimberly, Mike Buse, a few years ago and I know for a fact that if he would have been black he would have been offered. Heard this straight frokm two college coach one being DI and the other a DI FCS coach. Yes it happens SOMETIMES when a kid is a bit of a question mark. But normally if the kid can play and has the size and speen it doesn't matter.

In Hicks case he is a bit short, and in Buse's is case his 40 time was a 4.5 or 4.6, Not many coaches thought he would be fast enough, BUT IN BOTH CASES I BELIEVE THE COACHES OVER LOOKED THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS:
1) CAN THE KID WIN
2) WORK ETHIC

Both have proven to be both.

headhunter
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I also agree with you trojan37... You make a very good point

Texas Cougar
01-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by sahen
if the kid turns out to be half the safety that jordan lake is then briles got a good pick up...

Mike hits just like Jordan Lake. He loves to hit as well. His best 40 time is 4.54 and best 100 is 10.6. Mike is a football player with outstanding instincts. Baylor will find out they will have a hard time keeping him off the field. Much like CS grad Shawn Bell in that they were always looking for another QB, but could not keep him off the field. The China Spring football program puts out players that when given the opportunity in college they excel.

Sic Em Bears

Rabid Cougar
01-28-2009, 08:16 PM
And the reality is?

bp80884
01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
We all have to admit their is a BIG PINK elephant the room. Why is it so taboo? Why are their more black athletes in the NFL? Why are their more black track athletes? It is awesome, no matter the race.

In todays world, race is not a disadvantage all of the time. Some times it is an advantage.

Congrats to Mike. In watching him play over the last 4 years at China Spring, the only thing I have heard him say is "Thank You"! He is a great role model for my son to watch every Friday night. He plays the game the right way. The worst part of the end of the football season is not that we lost, but we were probably not going to see Mike or our other 30+ seniors take the football field ever again. Great group of kids no matter the race. We are not black or white, we are China Spring Blue!

eagles_victory
01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Actually he is. Receivers coach for us. watz4dinner is a coach at CS?

Emerson1
01-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
I believe that.

sahen
01-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by bp80884
We all have to admit their is a BIG PINK elephant the room. Why is it so taboo? Why are their more black athletes in the NFL? Why are their more black track athletes? It is awesome, no matter the race.

In todays world, race is not a disadvantage all of the time. Some times it is an advantage.

Congrats to Mike. In watching him play over the last 4 years at China Spring, the only thing I have heard him say is "Thank You"! He is a great role model for my son to watch every Friday night. He plays the game the right way. The worst part of the end of the football season is not that we lost, but we were probably not going to see Mike or our other 30+ seniors take the football field ever again. Great group of kids no matter the race. We are not black or white, we are China Spring Blue!

just drive down the road to floyd casey and u can watch mike play for 4 more years now....wear gold :)

bp80884
01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by sahen
just drive down the road to floyd casey and u can watch mike play for 4 more years now....wear gold :)

Amen. And to thik I get to "save" on gas money!!!

Go Cougars and Sicem Bears!!!

cshscougar08
01-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
watz4dinner is a coach at CS?

Yes. Varsity basketball head coach too.

trojan37
01-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Is he going to play in the all-star game this summer at Floyd Casey? Guess not since he will be getting ready to knock some heads at BU.

WylieBulldog92
01-29-2009, 04:22 PM
To Baylor:

Link (http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2009/01/26/01262009wachicks.html)

formercougar18
02-02-2009, 11:52 PM
from what he has told me, he is not going to play in the centex allstar game. I would not be surprised to see mike start at saftey after Jordan Lake's graduation. I could be a biased poster due to the fact that i played with him, but i think he could handle it.It also wouldnt surprise me if when he gets there for workouts, if they notice his athleticism and use him for a couple of offensive snaps to, but Im sure he will get pllaying time and hopefully will turn out to be a bigtime player and help griffin turn this program around.

cshscougar08
02-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the board Caleb!