PDA

View Full Version : Most Poorly Officiated Sport

Electus Unus
01-25-2009, 04:37 PM
From the professional league down to high school. What do you guys think?

Astrosdawg07
01-25-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm really shocked that basketball is the leader and not baseball.

pirate4state
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I'm really shocked that basketball is the leader and not baseball. The past few weeks I've been to more basketball than I care to recall, but I find myself shaking my head at how inconsistent the officials are. A foul on one team is magically not a foul for the opposing team. Hey, this is something like what some of our posters are yelling at US about. Guess I gotta cut those guys some slack. :p :D

Why do you think baseball is worse?

wtfootball
01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Monahans vs. Bridgeport playoffs 2008

The most poorly officiated game in the history of high school football.

JR2004
01-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
The past few weeks I've been to more basketball than I care to recall, but I find myself shaking my head at how inconsistent the officials are. A foul on one team is magically not a foul for the opposing team.

Basketball officials are absolutely horrific. On the high school level the Dallas chapter is a joke. Umpires in baseball come in a very, very close 2nd though. When I tune in to watch some MLB, it's just comical how horribly inconsistent those guys are with the strike zone.

coach
01-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Basketball officials are absolutely horrific. On the high school level the Dallas chapter is a joke. Umpires in baseball come in a very, very close 2nd though. When I tune in to watch some MLB, it's just comical how horribly inconsistent those guys are with the strike zone.

dallas chapter is better than waco chapter

Send_the_House
01-25-2009, 06:13 PM
What about Soccer?

cshscougar08
01-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Send_the_House
What about Soccer?

That's what I was thinking. I know basketball and baseball can be pretty inconsistent, but I feel soccer is the worst because of all the acting that goes on.

3afan
01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
basketball is by far the HARDEST to call of those list

Pmoney
01-25-2009, 07:25 PM
I prolly should make another thread for this...but I was wondering I want to be a referee football next season in the Lubbock area and was wondering who do I need to talk to?

Astrosdawg07
01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
TASO Chapter Directory (http://www.intra-focus.com/taso/DOCS/Football%20PS%20directory%20public.pdf)

Pmoney
01-25-2009, 07:32 PM
TASO Chapter Directory (http://www.intra-focus.com/taso/DOCS/Football%20PS%20directory%20public.pdf)
so I can join the TASO chapter without refing before?

Astrosdawg07
01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
I would certainly assume so. Just send the secretary an email explaining your interest and they'll get you lined out.

Pmoney
01-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I would certainly assume so. Just send the secretary an email explaining your interest and they'll get you lined out.
oh alright thanks

goosealaniz
01-25-2009, 08:33 PM
soccer... no more needs to be said.

OldBison75
01-26-2009, 09:11 AM
As far as percentage of badly officiated calls, its basketball hands down. You can't even get the three refs on the same court in the same game to agree on a call most of the time. The game has gotten so fast and athletic that the refs seem to never be in position. In no other sport do the refs have to watch the ball, the players hands, the players feet, and count lane time. Almost every call is a judgement call and some refs seem to use that judgement to control the game flow. And, in Basketball, more than any other sport, a player that displays an attitude toward a call can be "punished" by a ref for touch fouls, ball control violations, extra shuffle steps, etc.

In baseball the strike zone will always be inconsistent because different umpires set up in different positions and the batters stance and catchers position change that on every pitch. But the umpires are pretty good on the out calls and other calls in the field. They miss a few, but are amazingly accurate with the number of bang-bang calls that happen.

Sweetwater Red
01-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Football - holding could be called on virtually every play. But, it is
up to the officials to pick and choose which time to throw a flag.

Baseball - The strike zones are almost never consistant.

Basketball - Too many stars at the college and pro level get away
with traveling. I'm so tired of seeing five step drives to the hoop.

I. B. Watching
01-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm going with basketball, although I think baseball gets the most complaints from fans. Just about every pitch is "Come on blue, punch a hole in that mask"

Heffelfinger
01-26-2009, 02:33 PM
All officials are bad...some are just worse than others.

RedWhiteBlue
01-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Heffelfinger
All officials are bad...some are just worse than others.
I agree!!! There is this one guy from the Abilene area, named Mike-something. He is terrible!!!:devil:

BwdLions
01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
The officiating in the Big XII was the worst I've seen in college football this past season.

As far as high school football, the Abilene area refs are the worst I've ever seen.

slpybear the bullfan
01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by wtfootball
Monahans vs. Bridgeport playoffs 2008

The most poorly officiated game in the history of high school football.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

You have absolutely the worst sour grapes of anyone I ever saw on here. EVER.

SintonFan
01-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Boxing is most poorly officiated sport.
Check that... on second thought, it is the most politically biased sport because of the judges.
Baseball is bad because of the "Strike Zone" and close calls when players slide in to bases. Basketball is bad, even worse with a professional ref being convicted for gambling charges.

Sweetwater Red
01-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

You have absolutely the worst sour grapes of anyone I ever saw on here. EVER.

I agree. What did the officiating have to do with Monahans not
having a kicker?:confused: :devil:

Farmersfan
01-30-2009, 09:59 AM
I have never believed that a team should have to adjust to the umpires in baseball. Anytime someone says there is a "feeling out" period until the teams know how the umps will call a strike zone I want to just scream. The stike zone is already decided by the league. Why is it accepted that a umpire could have a low strike zone or high strike zone. Again the strike zone is already set by the league.......I would get thrown out of every single game if I coached or managed a baseball team..

Farmersfan
01-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Boxing is most poorly officiated sport.
Check that... on second thought, it is the most politically biased sport because of the judges.
Baseball is bad because of the "Strike Zone" and close calls when players slide in to bases. Basketball is bad, even worse with a professional ref being convicted for gambling charges.

I don't know if it is considered a sport by most but wouldn't figure skating and gymnastics be more subjective and judge dependant than any other sport? I see more "Head-Scratchers" in those events than most of the other big sports.

tbone
01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Soccer is the most inconsistently called sport from game to game that I have seen. In my job, I supervise lots of sporting events and soccer officiating is the most baffling to me.

SintonFan
01-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I don't know if it is considered a sport by most but wouldn't figure skating and gymnastics be more subjective and judge dependant than any other sport? I see more "Head-Scratchers" in those events than most of the other big sports.
Is figure skating a sport? For goodness sake, when you have the word "figure" in the title of the "sport", how can it be considered anything other than fast moving modeling on ice...
:thinking: