PDA

View Full Version : Sad news out of Florence

RanchRadio
01-24-2009, 09:33 AM
3 YEAR OLD SHOT IN FLORENCE 2009-01-24
(FLORENCE) 3-year-old boy died after being accidentally shot while at his rural home near Florence.

The Williamson County Sheriff’s Office said Friday’s accident killed Jakob Alfaro.

Detective John Foster told The Associated Press that the mother was in another room when she heard a “pop” and discovered her son was fatally shot.

Foster says the boy’s two siblings, a 5-year-old and a child younger than the victim, were in the house at the time of the shooting.

Foster says investigators are trying to determine the circumstances of the .410-gauge shotgun going off. Authorities also want to know who owns the shotgun.

Florence is a town of about 1,300, located 40 miles north of Austin.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-24-2009, 12:31 PM
This is very sad, there probably will be some legal action too.
Texas has very lax gun laws but one of the few prohibitions is:

"A person commits an offense if a child under 17 gains access
to a readily dischargeable firearm and the person with criminal
negligence failed to secure it or left it in a place to which the
person knew or should have known the child would gain access."

STANG RED
01-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
This is very sad, there probably will be some legal action too.
Texas has very lax gun laws but one of the few prohibitions is:

"A person commits an offense if a child under 17 gains access
to a readily dischargeable firearm and the person with criminal
negligence failed to secure it or left it in a place to which the
person knew or should have known the child would gain access."

Is it that Texas has lax gun laws, or that the laws on the books are not well enforced?
It seems to me that there are always people wanting more gun laws passed, but the problem is usually that the laws in place are adequate but poorly enforced.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Is it that Texas has lax gun laws, or that the laws on the books are not well enforced?
It seems to me that there are always people wanting more gun laws passed, but the problem is usually that the laws in place are adequate but poorly enforced.

I'd agree with that, when I saw lax I mean common sense. Way different than lets say CA where they tell you what guns you can own and how many you can purchase in a month and ect.

It's common sense to not leave a loaded gun in an area that a child would have access to it.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Also though when things like this happen it just adds fuel to the fire for the people that want more gun laws which is exactly what we don't need.